BUILT
The Dalmatian
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
The Dalmatian is an 11-storey mixed-use affordable rental tower in the 1000-block of Johnson Street in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Dalmatian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Dalmatian | Victoria No. 1 Firehall | Rentals, office space | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#81 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

The entire area (parking lot & Mazda) was soil tested months ago. I think it's all going based on that.

Mazda was using the parking lot today for a bunch of used cars.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#82 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

rumors are that Pacific Mazda stays and only a portion of the parking lot is developed?  anyone else confirm that?

Short term, maybe? I could understand this being a two-phase development

#83 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

The entire area (parking lot & Mazda) was soil tested months ago. I think it's all going based on that.

Mazda was using the parking lot today for a bunch of used cars.

Interestingly enough, I was passing by on the bus this morning and saw some folks collecting and bagging some samples from a small hole in the car lot.

#84 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:49 PM

It is definitely a two (or more)-phase development. So maybe the Mazda lot stays for now.

But Jawl did distribute a notice on April 5 to area stratas that the entirety of the Robbins and Mazda lots are part of a master planned, mixed use development, of which the first phase is the public safety building.

And yes, they were doing soil work on the Mazda lot this morning where they usually keep the used cars, thus why they were in the pay parking lot.

#85 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:37 AM

I have confirmed Mazda stays and there are no plans to move it anytime soon

• Mike K. and baconnbits like this

#86 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

I have confirmed Mazda stays and there are no plans to move it anytime soon

got it. so they will do the firehall, get the land rezoned so they have future value but Mazda keeps operating as a family business indefinitely.

#87 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:14 AM

Did this project go to DRA CALUC? is there a link to what was presented? The DRA site doesn’t appear to be very up to date

#88 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

TJV any other insights?

#89 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

Did this project go to DRA CALUC? is there a link to what was presented? The DRA site doesn’t appear to be very up to date

I don’t think it’s gone yet.

#90 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

TJV any other insights?

sorry no

#91 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:21 AM

First-look--Victoria's-new-fire-hall-and-the-redevelopment-of-Pacific-Mazda-lands-2.jpg

First-look--Victoria's-new-fire-hall-and-the-redevelopment-of-Pacific-Mazda-lands-3.jpg

First-look--Victoria's-new-fire-hall-and-the-redevelopment-of-Victoria-Mazda-lands.jpg

An artist's rendering of the Johnson Yates Block, a multi-phased, mixed-use residential and commercial development along the 1000-blocks of Johnson and Yates streets at Cook Street. The project's first phase, depicted at-top, centre, will rise to 11-storeys and include the new City of Victoria No. 1 fire hall along its Johnson Street frontage. Future phases will yield three additional towers on lands currently occupied by auto dealer Pacific Mazda.

First look: Victoria's new fire hall and the redevelopment of Pacific Mazda | Citified.ca

https://victoria.cit...-pacific-mazda/

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker, gstc84 and 2 others like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:26 AM

Wow, this is very Richmond-looking! I seem to remember HCMA was hired to design the fire hall building, but do we know who the project architect is for the whole block?

#93 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

Great news for downtown Victoria / Harris Green!
  • Nparker likes this

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

I like the massing in these renderings. I hope this is what actually gets built.

• Baro likes this

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

Wow, this is very Richmond-looking! I seem to remember HCMA was hired to design the fire hall building, but do we know who the project architect is for the whole block?

No! I'm trying to track that down.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#96 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

This whole area is incredibly under-developed and what is there is mostly ugly.  It's an area you walk through rather than to.  Fort and Cook area is pleasant,  the stretch of Cook between Welburns and Royal Athletic Park is a vibrant little retail village,  but this section of cook has been so squandered and has so much potential.

I'm not usually one to say projects need "green space" or "open space" but if any area could use a little it's here.  The green shown in the corner, plus some benches and some inviting retail, could turn into quite a pleasant space.

I don't know if the dead space between the fort and cook area and the strip around Castle can ever be filled,  I don't know if ground floor retail and foot traffic can be pulled the extra block from downtown past Vancouver St with so many dead-fronted condos form a wall,  but this project certainly seems to be trying. 

I think a larger green space and plaza at the corner though could one day be a centerpoint around a regenerated Cook & Yates as all the dealerships give way to proper city buildings.

Edited by Baro, 10 September 2018 - 07:51 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

Yes, it's HCMA!

Know it all.

#98 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

Yes, it's HCMA!

The whole project?

#99 KdogK

KdogK
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:18 AM

Chard development soil tested all of Ithaka, and panago complex including the yates medical building parking lot. Still no plans released on that site ,,maybe that would be the new shopping area.
  • Mike K. likes this

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

I've heard grumblings that we may see a mid-rise tower emerge there.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users