BUILT
The Dalmatian
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
The Dalmatian is an 11-storey mixed-use affordable rental tower in the 1000-block of Johnson Street in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Dalmatian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Dalmatian | Victoria No. 1 Firehall | Rentals, office space | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:21 AM

The whole project?

It has the hallmarks of HMCA, but I don't know if they'll be covering the whole project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

It has the hallmarks of HMCA, but I don't know if they'll be covering the whole project.

I imagine that they've done the concept work shown, and architect for the other three towers is TBD

• Nparker likes this

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

I've heard grumblings that we may see a mid-rise tower emerge there."F

"Grumblings" LOL! That's a great way to describe the local attitude towards any sort of development.

#104 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

This is a long term play, they haven't purchased other land for the dealership to move to let alone draw up plans.  Dealership isn't going anywhere soon and that's from the owners. 

For those of you who don't know one of the Jawl children is married to Peter Pollen's daughter

#105 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:54 AM

^ Peter Pollen is such a comic book alias name

• Nparker likes this

#106 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

A rezoning alllication has been filed for phase one (1025 Johnson).

#107 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:16 PM

^ The rezoning application folder on the Dev Tracker includes the entire project proposal in addition to Phase One. It's worth a look! https://tender.victo...917143559200960

• Nparker likes this

#108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

I wonder how much push-back there will be in regards to the proposed heights and density?

#109 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

Can I say I really don't feel good about that gaping corner setback at Yates and Cook? It's not even built yet but even as a mere illustration it already looks awkward and depressing to me. It if were 50% less severe I suppose it might work, but I'd still have to ask why it should be there at all. It just seems so out of place.

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

Can I say I really don't feel good about that gaping corner setback at Yates and Cook? ...

And yet I guarantee it's the height of the buildings that will stir up the greatest outrage. The interaction at street level will be of little concern to most.  :whyme:

#111 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:44 PM

The DRA is very concerned about this project so far and has released this letter: https://goo.gl/w82h8Q

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:56 PM

I’ve never seen the DRA take such strong positions against projects before. Construction noise, density concerns and impact on views seem like past concerns that have not been issues in downtown since the early 00’s.

The days of Rob Randall as Chair were no doubt some of the most effective at bridging the developer’s plan with public expectations, but not from a NIMBY point of view but from an urbanists point of view.

I’m seeing the DRA objecting and obstructing rather than assisting.
  • aastra likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#113 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:06 PM

They want lower density and bigger setbacks? Why do these people even live downtown?
  • jonny, DougG and Brantastic like this

#114 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:51 PM

The DRA is very concerned about this project so far and has released this letter: https://goo.gl/w82h8Q

In case the rest of your NIMBY arguments fail to have an impact fall back on the "child" card:

...Concerns were expressed whether it was appropriate to house children above a Fire Hall...

And how about this:

...Midblock crosswalks have caused serious problems with antisocial behaviour...

And finally:

Density inappropriate for the Local Area

If Harris Green is not the appropriate place for this sort of density then where is? (I know, "someplace else")

It seems that NIMBYism has been honed to a fine art in our region.

Edited by Nparker, 30 November 2018 - 08:52 PM.

• Brantastic likes this

#115 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:10 PM

Looks perfect to me, great massing and thoughtful design. No problem with the small street level setback at Yates and Cook. It’s actually welcoming and will draw people in and allow them to engage with the building vs. walking past the corner and rushing to make the light. It’s a solid flush to sidewalk podium all the around so this feels needed.

This tiny sliver, partially covered by the building overhang looks like a great place to get a coffee, or just chill and eat your lunch. On work breaks I don’t go looking for parks, but find the concrete benches outside of The Atrium and the Jawl building on Pandora perfect, with the added benefit of being south facing. Also why Discovery Coffee on Broughton has the best patio. Never mind view cones or mid-block walkways, a well done south facing mini street corner park is what’s lit if you’re woke.

#116 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

...Concerns were expressed whether it was appropriate to house children above a Fire Hall...

I can imagine kids in the schoolyard debating this contentious issue right now:

Johnny: I think it would be cool to live above a fire hall.

Jimmy: Disagree. I think it would be super cool.

Johnny: We just don't get each other.

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#117 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:25 AM

Seriously though, what's the premise here? That neighbourhoods never had fire stations in them before? That people didn't live right across from fire stations or right beside them? So many of the "concerns" that people raise nowadays are plucked out of thin air.

• Nparker, jonny and grantpalin like this

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

There were concerns expressed by a great many attendees regarding the impacts on livability caused by the excessive construction noise that will be produced by this site over a period of many years (and other sites in Harris Green)...

Couldn't this issue easily be resolved by obligating future projects in Harris Green to employ the same silent construction techniques that were used to construct all of the existing buildings? You know, the same buildings that the attendees live in?

• Nparker and Brantastic like this

#119 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:34 AM

The potential for noise from the emergency vehicles themselves and why the Fire Hall would be located in the most densely populated neighbourhood of the City were also common concerns.

So now we're pretending that the current fire hall doesn't exist? What would the ideal situation be? No fire hall at all?

#120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

...What would the ideal situation be? No fire hall at all?

Ideally there would be no fire hall and less density; just enough residential space to house the people who currently live in Harris Green, but in single family dwellings each surrounded by a minimum of 5 hectares of pristine old-growth forest. Isn't that why people choose to live in the heart of a city - to enjoy bucolic solitude?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users