BUILT
The Dalmatian
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
The Dalmatian is an 11-storey mixed-use affordable rental tower in the 1000-block of Johnson Street in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Dalmatian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Dalmatian | Victoria No. 1 Firehall | Rentals, office space | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#1 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

Discussion on the future of Victoria's #1 Fire Hall - added by admin

Full announcement on the City website: http://www.victoria....ons-centre.html

A new Victoria public safety building will be built downtown under an agreement reached with local developer Dalmatian Developments Limited Partnership, a Jawl Residential and Nadar Holdings Ltd. venture.

The state-of-the-art, post-seismic rated facility will be located on Johnson Street as part of a new mixed-use development adjacent to Pacific Mazda.

Dalmatian Developments is working with HCMA Architecture + Design, who has designed a number of recently constructed fire halls in British Columbia. Dalmatian's vision for the site, which includes lots on Johnson, Cook and Yates Streets, is a master-planned, mixed-use development.

The developer plans to submit a rezoning application to the City within the next six months. It is anticipated that if the land use process results in appropriate zoning of the property and the developer secures the necessary building permits, construction will take approximately 28 months.

So, not approval within 6 months, but submission of an application within 6 months. Two very different things, CFAX.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Where is the transparency, community consultation, and open construction bidding?

• tjv likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

So car dealers are out? What about the old fire hall lot?

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

HCMA designed the new Richmond Brighouse Fire Hall #1, which is currently under construction. Personally, I hate the design. Looks fine on paper, but the massing is terrible from street level.

fire-hall.png

brighouse.png

Edited by Jackerbie, 19 March 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#5 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

Looking at the COW report, this looks like essentially an amenity as part of a massive development in the Mazda/Robbins lot that would border Johnson/Cook/Yates.

Interesting.

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

HCMA designed the new Richmond Brighouse Fire Hall #1, which is currently under construction. Personally, I hate the design. Looks fine on paper, but the massing is terrible from street level.

Too many ghost bikes for my liking.

• Nparker and David Bratzer like this

#7 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

Where is the transparency, community consultation, and open construction bidding?

Looking at the COW report, this looks like essentially an amenity as part of a massive development in the Mazda/Robbins lot that would border Johnson/Cook/Yates.

Interesting.

We do this frequently in Richmond. We've secured two City-owned community centres and several City-owned daycare facilities in new developments through the rezoning process. Next on the list is a new library and community police station. Those civic needs are identified in the Official Community Plan, which I guess removes the need for broader consultation before the agreements and negotiations for amenities are made with the developer.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Interesting.

ISSUES & ANALYSIS -  Scope of Project The current 26,700 square foot facility will be replaced with a 41,700 square foot facility, including the approximately 3,200 square foot space for BC Ambulance. Being mindful that the size of the building and floor plate drive the cost of construction, the project only includes those components that are necessary to be located at Fire Headquarters, and only the components that are required to be on the ground floor (the truck bays) are on that level. The needs assessment that was completed a number of years ago, which was recently updated along with cost analysis, outlines the requirements for the Fire Department operations with a view of ensuring that future anticipated needs are addressed. The approach taken to right-size the facility was to look at multi-purpose rooms for the various operational sections such as using the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) as the training room during regular operations, and incorporating offices for Fire Prevention staff as potential "break out" rooms during emergency events. The ground floor and second floor of the building would be the new public safety building. The Developer is planning on adding additional floors to the building for a likely mixed use development. However, at this point, the use of those has yet to be determined but will be compatible with that of an urban fire hall. There are some functions within the current fire station that could be located elsewhere, such as the vehicle maintenance bays. Since Fire Station No. 3 does have sufficient space to house a new mechanical bays facility, this component will be relocated there allowing the reduction of the footprint at Johnson Street where land values are higher.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 March 2018 - 10:51 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

We do this frequently in Richmond. We've secured two City-owned community centres and several City-owned daycare facilities in new developments through the rezoning process. Next on the list is a new library and community police station. Those civic needs are identified in the Official Community Plan, which I guess removes the need for broader consultation before the agreements and negotiations for amenities are made with the developer.

Right, I'm reading more on that now.  I think you are right.  

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

I have an idea for the"public art" component.  Take the next retiring ladder truck, preserve it, and stuck it out front.  An architect friend has taken an hour out of his busy day and made a class C rendering for us, retired fire truck is top right:

screenshot-vibrantvictoria.ca-2018.03.19-12-00-41.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 March 2018 - 11:03 AM.

• zoomer and Bob Fugger like this

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

I presume they'd just install some skookum lights at Quadra and Johnson, and emergency vehicle would head down that way, if the emergency is west of the hall.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

Note that the developer is not Jawl Properties but Jawl Residential. The two companies are not one and the same despite the similar name.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

This photo suggests the development is very big, taking over all the area and buildings currently used by Pacific Mazda, fronting Johnson, Cook, and Yates: http://jawlresidenti...s-block//#intro

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 19 March 2018 - 01:00 PM.

#14 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Have any renderings of the residential component of this development been released?

It's great to see a more efficient use of this space, but I wonder if there is a way for the developer to mitigate the noise impacts of the new fire station...

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

I don't know... fire stations are in residential neighbourhoods all over the place. It's not unusual. In the case of this relocated station, the existing station is in the same neighbourhood, but just a couple of blocks' distance up the street. Noise issues should be pretty much the same as before, should they not?

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

Wow, I didn't realize it took up the entire Mazda lot. That's a massive parcel of land. I wonder what Peter Pollen would think of it--it's his old Ford dealership. 

There is an opportunity for a mid-block walkway of some kind. It'll be interesting to see if the City wants this. See my old article on the nearby Jukebox walkway controversy here:

https://web.archive....t-want-walkway/

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

Wow, I didn't realize it took up the entire Mazda lot. That's a massive parcel of land. I wonder what Peter Pollen would think of it--it's his old Ford dealership...

He would probably think any proposals were too tall and destructive to his vision for the "character" of Victoria.  :whyme:

...During his time as mayor, Peter kept a phone book in his office that had a photo on the cover of Vancouver’s skyline filled with high rises. It was an image he didn’t want Victoria to become...Peter...was the driving force behind height restrictions on buildings...

https://www.vicnews....shape-victoria/

#18 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

I know many fire stations in larger cities, with New York being one of them, fire departments are discouraged from using their sirens when near to the facility to reduce disruption.  Obviously if need be they can use them but most of the time lights will suffice. 

I am pretty familiar with these properties. It will be interesting to see if thunderbird insurance becomes part of this project as they have rear parking that is only accessible via lots on this project and I am pretty sure there is no right of way in place. 

Edited by tiger11, 19 March 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

I presume they'd just install some skookum lights at Quadra and Johnson, and emergency vehicle would head down that way, if the emergency is west of the hall.

Vancouver I mean.

#20 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

^Great point, tiger. Based on the image on Jawl's website, it does not include Thunderbird. It's a pretty good sized lot back there too...6 or 7 cars I think.

It's such a dinky little building...perhaps they become a tenant of the new development and in turn that building gets swallowed by this project. Otherwise it's going to be an even smaller version of the Leaf property one block west on Yates.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users