BUILT
The Dalmatian
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
The Dalmatian is an 11-storey mixed-use affordable rental tower in the 1000-block of Johnson Street in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Dalmatian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Dalmatian | Victoria No. 1 Firehall | Rentals, office space | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#281 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

does anyone actually know what the requirements are for fire services?  can't the city survive by moving trucks and people to the other 2 fire halls while a new one was built on yates?  at least up there people are used to the sounds.  and it seems to me the only difference in response times is about 3 minutes at best.

all 3 saanich fire halls are each more than 7km apart.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2019 - 12:41 PM.

#282 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

... can't the city survive by moving trucks and people to the other 2 fire halls while a new one was built on yates?  at least up there people are used to the sounds...

So it's OK for residents in that part of the city to continue to experience fire hall noise, since they are "used to it", but the people living a few blocks west deserve eternal peace and tranquility? I am not sure I follow the logic.

#283 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

well the yates hall has been there since 1958.  so residents moved there knowing about it.  the youngest person that lived there before a fire hall moved in is now 61 years old.  it's next to rental apartments built in the70's. it's across the street from a school/field.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2019 - 12:54 PM.

#284 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

My guess is the old folks in Sutton East and West don't want a firehall next door and are pissed about losing views. You're absolutely right G Man. Same old story. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Sutton East and West are so old and decrepit, they should have no say.

Their version of remodelling is to come up with not even enough money to paint part of the outside of their old and ugly buildings.

Tear them down I say!
  • Nparker likes this

#285 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

As a Sutton East owner, I have long supported and happy about the development across the street. This area desperately needs densification. For the record our building is not full of seniors - that would be next door at Sutton West, who also painted their building - which we are not - why would you ever cover up and paint concrete brutalist architecture. We are however getting the building cleaned this year. As for the views, anyone that buys downtown real estate should never assume their view is forever, we certainly didn’t and bought here as it makes sense to live and work downtown and not commute. Don’t assume anything....
  • Nparker, Hotel Mike, jonny and 4 others like this

#286 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

Yup. That’s the right take, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#287 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:21 AM

When is the public hearing for this. Doesn’t it have to be soon?

#288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

The way things are going, Saanich's newly unveiled plans for a nearly $27 million fire hall in Royal Oak could start serving its taxpayers at the same time, or even before, Victoria's new fire hall is finished.

It's hard to believe that Victoria's fire hall was declared a pressing priority exactly a decade ago, while in 2011 council saw its first report identifying options for a new facility. At that time the budget options were, get this, $6.5 to $16.5 million. Now the budget is $33.7 million with a total project cost (which includes adjacent infrastructure upgrades) of $35.9 million. But both of those budgets are now a year old, and who knows if by the time approvals for the 1025 Johnson Street building the fire hall is proposed for are handed down whether the budget will require yet another infusion of dollars.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#289 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

...It's hard to believe that Victoria's fire hall was declared a pressing priority exactly a decade ago...

I don't find this the least bit hard to believe. With the exception of bike lanes, which civic infrastructure projects have proceeded in a timely fashion in recent CoV history?

#290 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

It's hard to believe that Victoria's fire hall was declared a pressing priority exactly a decade ago,

What's so hard to believe? Mega-earthquakes were super likely and super scary back then, hence the uproar about the JSB and the firehall. But mega-earthquakes have become much less likely and much less scary since then, so no big whoop anymore.

#291 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

...mega-earthquakes have become much less likely and much less scary since then, so no big whoop anymore.

The  :eek: CLIMATE EMERGNCY !!  :eek:  is going kill us all before the "Big One".

#292 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

Over the span of four years the City was able to plan, budget, finance and build several kilometers of bike lanes, pursue a cannabis regulatory regime, abate the growth of AirBnB throughout the City-proper, introduce several low-barrier housing facilities to the city centre and handle a police management crisis, all while doubling the budget for the new fire hall.

That's pretty good.

But on a serious note, it's bewildering/shocking/tragic that not a single shovel has hit the ground for what has been a #1 emergency services priority over four election cycles.

Know it all.

#293 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

What's so hard to believe? Mega-earthquakes were super likely and super scary back then, hence the uproar about the JSB and the firehall. But mega-earthquakes have become much less likely and much less scary since then, so no big whoop anymore.

Every time someone says something like that I look around my house looking for places to hide in case the Big One answers to the jinx.

#294 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

What is happening here? The signs for the development are still up but no updates on city website.

#295 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

In my opinion the project is going nowhere until there is a change in the balance of power on council. Ben's team is not going to allow this project to be rezoned without a significant contribution to the affordable housing fund, affordable housing itself or community amenities. 

#296 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

Doesn’t it have affordable in it? I thought the drawings and application discussed affordable on top of the fire hall?

#297 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:21 AM

Doesn’t it have affordable in it? I thought the drawings and application discussed affordable on top of the fire hall?

That's correct, the units above the fire hall have an affordability component.

#298 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:28 AM

I believe they’ll be managed by Pacifica Housing.

I’m perplexed how this project isn’t yet under construction. It should have been a slam dunk, and for gosh sake, we’ve been told the #1 firehall is a #1 priority since the early days of the Fortin era (a decade ago!).

Know it all.

#299 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

My understanding of the issue (which is mostly based on what I have read in Focus and in staff reports) is that Pacifica has submitted a proposal for affordable housing, but the developer has no obligation to build any affordable housing (or firehall for that matter). As a result, Ben, Jeremy and TV are reluctant to approve any rezoning which would potentially allow the developer to proceed without any contribution. Staff reports state that the City is trying to negotiate a "site specific rezoning" which would limit the site density if the firehall and affordable housing were not built. I can understand why that process might be a little contentious.

Aside from the issue of affordable housing and the firehall, the DRA has taken a position against the proposal because it is attempting to move unused theoretical density from one site (parking lot in this case) and apply it to another site to boost what would normally be permitted. The concern being the precedent this would set for other sites.

#300 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

I believe they’ll be managed by Pacifica Housing.

I’m perplexed how this project isn’t yet under construction. It should have been a slam dunk, and for gosh sake, we’ve been told the #1 firehall is a #1 priority since the early days of the Fortin era (a decade ago!).

We were also told by Mayor Helps that Crystal Pool would need to be shut down if replacement was not approved!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users