BUILT
The Dalmatian
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
The Dalmatian is an 11-storey mixed-use affordable rental tower in the 1000-block of Johnson Street in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Dalmatian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Dalmatian | Victoria No. 1 Firehall | Rentals, office space | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#61 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Not for this site, the way it was explained to me by the them is they can tell the City to effect "we are changing the zoning of the site as per our built in option"  no council meeting, no nothing.  Now what their specific zoning option was I don't remember.  Now if they need to change it to a further different zoning outside that option then they need a rezoning application.

no the two towers at the corner of Yates and Vancouver, sorry I don't know the name or address

That's not legal under the Local Government Act as far as I know. Land use zoning is a bylaw. Bylaws cannot be amended or adopted except by Council. I didn't realize until now that the Mazda property is split zoned, but the bulk of the property is shown as "S-1 Limited Service District" in the zoning map, which forms part of the bylaw. Some of the parking area, but not all, is zoned "R-48 Harris Green District," which would permit redevelopment to higher density mixed use, but only on those portions of the property property zoned. The rest would have to be rezoned by Council. It is also worth noting that the R-48 zone does not permit Public Buildings, so a rezoning is required regardless to allow the fire hall.

Capture.png

• Nparker likes this

#62 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

Are you referring to Regents Park?

I had to google it, but yes that's it

That's not legal under the Local Government Act as far as I know. Land use zoning is a bylaw. Bylaws cannot be amended or adopted except by Council. I didn't realize until now that the Mazda property is split zoned, but the bulk of the property is shown as "S-1 Limited Service District" in the zoning map, which forms part of the bylaw. Some of the parking area, but not all, is zoned "R-48 Harris Green District," which would permit redevelopment to higher density mixed use, but only on those portions of the property property zoned. The rest would have to be rezoned by Council. It is also worth noting that the R-48 zone does not permit Public Buildings, so a rezoning is required regardless to allow the fire hall.

Capture.png

I am only repeating what they told me, and as the owners and friends they had no reason whatsoever to lie to me so I believe it to be true

#63 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Anyone attend today?

#64 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

It passed.

Goes to Council tonight as well.

Anyone attend today?

#65 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

That’s a public hearing tonight?

#66 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:39 AM

So, in all of this, does the City say what becomes of the Yates property? In a correct world it’s sold to the highest bidder to go towards the new $35M cost. In our likely world the City keeps it. When the City should not be looking at gaining more property.

City owned property close to the downtown core that can now be used for whatever purpose council decides. I can place a big bet as to what will become of the property and the initials PHS are part of it.

#67 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

...I can place a big bet as to what will become of the property and the initials PHS are part of it.

You're probably right.  :(   :(   :(

#68 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

^Fortunately, not likely a decision that will be made by the current Council. What to do with that property could be quite the campaign topic.

#69 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

sounds like unanimous approval.  next step will be the rezoning application sometime in the next 6 months

TJV any word from the developers what the plans are?

#70 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Mods:  Does it make sense to move the discussion about the downtown fire hall & mazda lot redevelopment into a separate thread?  This thread could be kept for any future redevelopment of the 1234 Yates Street site.

#71 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

sounds like unanimous approval.  next step will be the rezoning application sometime in the next 6 months

I'll let you know

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

Mods:  Does it make sense to move the discussion about the downtown fire hall & mazda lot redevelopment into a separate thread?  This thread could be kept for any future redevelopment of the 1234 Yates Street site.

Yup, good call. This thread has now been spun off into its own thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

The rumour is that Helps and the developers will announce a major, taxpayer subsidized, affordable housing initiative just before the election. 

#74 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

@tjv while somebody may have told you this information, Provincial law vested in the Local Goverment Act specifically restricts what you are proposing. There is no course of action available in BC for any land owner to change a Zoning designation without the assent of municipal Council.
  • Jackerbie likes this

#75 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

can a property be dual zoned?  as I have said I am only repeating what I was told

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

They can make a new zone they do that all the time.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

can a property be dual zoned?  as I have said I am only repeating what I was told

did they say the mazda lot would be zoned something different to the fire hall? i assume they would be seperated out as two different sites/titles/parcels and therefore a seperate zoning would apply to one if the city elected to...which is what that r-48 zoning?

part of the family owns/runs the mazda dealership correct?

#78 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

Yes, the term is "split-zoning". In fact, many Zoning bylaws have language that treats the split zoned 'lines' as lot lines so setbacks, FSR, and site coverage are calculated on the zoned area, not the parent parcel area.

Edited by PPPdev, 02 April 2018 - 03:22 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#79 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

part of the family owns/runs the mazda dealership correct?

yes

#80 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

rumors are that Pacific Mazda stays and only a portion of the parking lot is developed?  anyone else confirm that?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users