Photo

Saskatchewan bus tragedy

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#61 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

The answer is fairly self-evident. Because the deaths are randomly dispersed across a large and vast country, and not one major event that wiped out nearly an entire hockey team.

I bet this ranks as one of the worst single-event loss of lives in modern Canadian history.

Don't dispute the facts but as a society what we are saying is that if 14 people die in an MVA then it is ok raising millions for them and having the entire nation focused on every detail, yet if both your kids die tomorrow in a car crash then you get squat and nobody outside of your own friends and family cares.

Just seems strange to me.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#62 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

I read somewhere that this is the worst accident involving a sports team in Canada. 

Very likely. The stunning co-incidence is that the Swift Current Broncos suffered a crash in the 80s that left 4 dead. Apparently some of the survivors have been visiting the guys currently in hospital.

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

Don't dispute the facts but as a society what we are saying is that if 14 people die in an MVA then it is ok raising millions for them and having the entire nation focused on every detail, yet if both your kids die tomorrow in a car crash then you get squat and nobody outside of your own friends and family cares.

Just seems strange to me.

I think you have to look deeper at the psychology of it.  Then you might not find it that strange.

It's hockey, and we are told we are all about hockey.  It happened right when hockey people at all levels are inor gearing up for playoff hockey.

Our media has been all over it, including sports media.  People had a chance to talk about it lots, over a weekend that had no other major news stories.  It's made international news.

It's like the perfect storm really.   

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 todd

todd
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

I bet this ranks as one of the worst single-event loss of lives in modern Canadian history.

Canada's worst bus crash.....

.....1980 collision that killed 22 teenage boys and young men -- all members of a Canadian Pacific Railway "steel gang". They were in a bus that was side-swiped by a car, causing it to flip on its side. The bus was then struck by a tanker truck carrying hot asphalt.........

1507895.jpg

http://www.leaderpos...7896/story.html

#65 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

after reading about accidents like this and the 1980 crash.. it does make me begin to wonder.. if these busses, busses that go on the highway, at highway speeds, had seat belts would there have been more survivors

#66 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

Wouldn't have hurt, that's for sure. 

#67 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,212 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

Looks like a charter bus. Don't those typically have seat belts? Its just unlikely many would be using them.

#68 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,212 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

I guess some schools may be looking to add seat belts for sure.

https://www.ctvnews....buses-1.3330042

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:48 AM

The fund will break $7M this morning.

That's over $241,000 per passenger.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 LJ

LJ
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

^Instead of disbursing all the funds to victims/families perhaps they should start a scholarship fund in each of the kids names, or the team name or something along that line.

• Midnightly likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

$8,059,000.
  • Matt R. likes this

#72 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

Why we as a society force everyone to wear seat belts except children in buses is beyond moronic.  

#73 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

^Instead of disbursing all the funds to victims/families perhaps they should start a scholarship fund in each of the kids names, or the team name or something along that line.

or keep an open fund for all to access for all and any sort of long term treatments they will need to process and heal from this accident, some will need significant medical treatment long term to overcome injuries, some may never walk again, i'm sure all will need counseling to help process this.. in addition to the costs of those who did not make it allowing for proper closure for the families involved

#74 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

So how does it work? Sylvie Kellington will get the money presumably as she is the contact on the GoFundMe page. Is it up to her to decide where the money goes and who gets how much?

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

So how does it work? Sylvie Kellington will get the money presumably as she is the contact on the GoFundMe page. Is it up to her to decide where the money goes and who gets how much?

She has some say, but GoFundMe steps in to work with parties, in the cases of big ones like this.  Sylvie Kellington is a hairdresser in nearby Bruno, Saskatchewan (population 550).  I'm sure she appreciates some guidance.  

$8.237M now, btw.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 April 2018 - 07:09 AM.

#76 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

She has stated in media and on the GoFundMe page that she and GoFundMe staff and working with the Vice-President of the Broncos on the handover of the funds.

So her role is essentially none on the fund delivery side at this point, though I'm sure she'll sit on whatever committee is formed to deal with the fund distribution should she wish.

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

A GoFundMe rep said often what they see is 75% going to the dead.   That seems like a lot.  That's $425,000 to each family of the deceased.   It's not like the dead leave behind dependants, except the adults in this case.  .

Presumably there is still an insurance payout coming at some point too.     

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 April 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Dayna Brons, the female trainer, has died.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 April 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

$8.9M, 107,000 funders.

• Matt R. likes this

#80 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

Forty grand in the last few minutes.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users