Photo

Saskatchewan bus tragedy

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 tjv

tjv
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

I don't know of any insurer that pays out a settlement based on future earning potential. The payments are usually based on current or past earnings. This is not going to be a financial windfall for anyone.

Completely agree, I had a friend get into an accident and even had a written job offer he was going to take a much higher wage.  ICBC refused to acknowledge teh new job offer and calculated the wage loss at the job at time of accident

As VHF said the chance of anyone of these players making it to the NHL is 1/2 of 1% (and I think that is very very high.  FYI:  https://www.hockeyca.../2003-gn-001-en

• 57WestHills likes this

#142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 51,354 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

The fundraiser, which has become the largest in Canada, will stay open for another two days before it’s closed and the money is transferred to the Humboldt Broncos Memorial Fund. An advisory committee will then figure out how the money will be dispersed to the affected families.

The team says any money raised past this point will go into a new Humboldt Strong Community Foundation to support players, employees, first responders and communities affected by the crash.

http://www.news1130....-12m-donations/

"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" - zoomer, April 17, 2018

#143 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:40 PM

i'm glad to see they have added that the money would go to help the community heal..the employees, first responders and the communities effected by the crash along with the players.. the people who were on the scene helping first hand, those in the ER, and those helping with the aftermath beyond the families and the victims themselves often get forgotten and while they might not be physically hurt the job they had to do can significantly effect them

• Mike K. and shoeflack like this

#144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 51,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

$12,455,000.

"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" - zoomer, April 17, 2018

#145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 40,894 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:04 AM

The ability to donate will end tomorrow.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#146 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

You could create an endowment with that fund and pull in half a million dollars a year to re-invest at a pretty conservative 4% interest rate alone. This fund will be able to do some amazing things for folks in Humboldt and the rest of Saskatchewan if they manage it right, which I'm sure they will.

• jonny likes this

#147 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 51,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:56 AM

Yes, that's right.  And then they might also use it to attract matching grants etc.

I think it would be prudent to give all 29 families a lump sum now, say $50,000.  Then spend some time working the rest of the plan.  They have some pro bono professional advisers in now.

Kevin Garinger, the Humboldt Broncos GM has been very good in this.  Helps that he is a well respected community leader and head of the Humboldt school district.

https://www.discover...or-of-education

Garinger holds a Bachelor of Education for the University of Saskatchewan and a Master of Arts in Education from the University of Phoenix, Arizona. As well, he also has a graduate certificate for the teaching of Calculus and Pre-Calculus from Portland State University. Garinger is a certified Franklin Covey Facilitator and is level two Violence Threat Risk Assessment Certified.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 April 2018 - 08:03 AM.

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 51,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

$13,401,617

$462,124 per bus passenger/driver

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 April 2018 - 05:08 PM.

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 51,354 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

15m.

#150 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,351 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

I saw donation buckets at Thrifty Foods over the weekend so money is still trickling in. I agree some sort of foundation makes sense. Some of these kids will probably need assistance long after their parents have died of old age.

• 57WestHills and Midnightly like this

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 51,354 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Some of these kids will probably need assistance long after their parents have died of old age.

And one was out of hospital the same night.  What does he get?  I hope everyone gets a base, I mean if only $100,000 each.  That's only the first $2.9M gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users