Saskatchewan bus tragedy

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#161 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

I truly do not know why all interested parties can not for now, all agree to give $100,000 to each family.  That's only $2.9M.  Then they can work on the rest.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#162 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

This will be in the courts for years.

Everybody will have a reason why they should get “more” based on their perceived loss.

The severely injured should get the bulk of the funds.
The less injured, but still affected for life the next chunk.

It may sound crass, but the families of the deceased should receive the least, and all exactly the same amount.

This isn’t the only money on the table either. Everybody involved from the trucking company, hockey league, and Highways Dept is also going to get sued by the families.

It’s odd (but I guess typical) how, regardless of the tragedy ... it always winds up being a discussion about money - how much? - and who gets it?

#163 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

I think a difference a bit here is that there is a known $15 or $16 or $18M just sitting there, it's real.    Insurance money and lawsuits and stuff, you can not see the money sitting, even if it's theoretically there. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

It may sound crass, but the families of the deceased should receive the least, and all exactly the same amount.

Some will argue that the dead with dependandts deserve more.

#165 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

This will be in the courts for years.

...It’s odd (but I guess typical) how, regardless of the tragedy ... it always winds up being a discussion about money - how much? - and who gets it?

Yes, and lots of lawyers working on contingency too, they can also see that money.  And at the very minimum, you have 35 or 45 parties to this whole thing.

• 29 dead and injured, and their various families - that might not all be united or together.  It's hard to imagine that all 29 families are on the same page. You also have some minors injured, some not (ages of injured are 16-20 or 21 I think).  There is potential for family in-fighting too here.   
  • League.
  • Bus company.
  • Trucking company.
  • Truck driver.
  • Government.
  • GoFundMe.
  • Tens of thousands of individual donors
  • First responders.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 May 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#166 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

Some will argue that the dead with dependandts deserve more.

I absolutely agree ... IF the deceased had dependants, those dependants should be one of the major recipients of the funds.

Of course (sadly) the vast majority of the deceased were young guys who hadn't even given a thought to marriage yet.

#167 spanky123

spanky123
  • 9,171 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

If you check the gofundme page, lots of people now asking for their money back. Apparently donating money to pay for lawyers and organizations to sort out how they can split the money wasn't what many people expected.

• Matt R. likes this

#168 LJ

LJ
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:38 PM

I absolutely agree ... IF the deceased had dependants, those dependants should be one of the major recipients of the funds.

Of course (sadly) the vast majority of the deceased were young guys who hadn't even given a thought to marriage yet.

I concur. The young guys with no dependents don't need anything at all, pay for the funeral costs then butt out. The families of these guys can sue if they like but what is that going to do to bring their kid back? The long term care will mostly be covered by the government medicare, insurance companies etc.

Better IMO to have a legacy scholarship set up with the bulk of the funds. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#169 todd

todd
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

$4.629M

About 88,000 people donated $11M to the Vegas shooting victims fund, largest GoFundMe of 2017.

Humboldt is at 67,000 donors.  

But it looks like the total for Vegas was $31.4 million:  https://lasvegasvictimsfund.org/

Toronto Van attack go fund me looks like it is at $221,424: https://ca.gofundme....orontoVanAttack       1.7 million total as of April 28:  https://globalnews.c...nto-van-attack/

#170 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

Today...

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ement-1.4667572

Kevin Garinger, president for the team, noted the distribution of the funds must comply with Saskatchewan legislation, and a non-profit corporation, the Humboldt Broncos Memorial Fund Inc., has been set up to oversee the distribution.

Garinger said it normally is a process that takes upwards of three months to distribute funds, and he expects to hit that deadline or sooner. 

#171 todd

todd
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Today... the score for Toronto is $2.8M  from torontofoundation.ca + the $221,424 gofundme

10 dead

16 injured

#172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

Toronto:

Timeline

April 23 – 10 people are killed and 16 more injured in the Yonge St. attack.

April 24 – Mayor John Tory announces the #TorontoStrong Fund, a partnership between the City of Toronto and Toronto Foundation.

April 29 – Thousands attend #TorontoStrong vigil in Mel Lastman square to honour attack victims and survivors.

May 4    – First grant from the #TorontoStrong Fund is made. Victim Services Toronto receives $500,000 to meet the immediate crisis financial needs of 25 families connected to the attack victims and survivors.

May 4    – #TorontoStrong Fund Steering Committee formed to oversee the allocation of the remaining funds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.