Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] Capital Culture District | Mixed-use

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#61 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:06 PM

Interesting that this shows the portion on the West side of Store street extending all the way to the water on the West side.  BC Assessment shows that portion as 4 separate legal lots with the largest one being the western most strip along the harbour.  That lot was previously owned by Transport Canada and had some nasty contamination on it that was capped but not removed to my knowledge.  I suspect that's why it has the lowest assessed value even though it the largest lot on the west side of Store Street. 

Here is a shot from 2019 that shows the scope of the western parcel.

49953490393_ec574161b5_k.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 30 May 2020 - 06:08 PM.

• Mike K., todd and Biro like this

#62 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:15 AM

In May, Reliance Properties bought nearly seven acres in Victoria’s Old Town District.

The company has acquired property over two city blocks from the Greene family. It includes the historic Capital Iron building and runs from the foreshore of ­Victoria’s Upper Harbour east to ­Government Street, including the ­Capital Iron parking lot and adjacent commercial buildings at 1950 Government St.

Stovell expects to release plans for the lands in the new year.

https://www.timescol...-85m-1.24257145

• Nparker likes this

#63 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:37 PM

Looking forward to the plans. What do we expect for this site? 5-ish storey housing with ground floor retail akin to the plans for the Fountain Tire block?

I believe this site falls in the zone the CoV wants to turn into a major economic hub dubbed the “innovation district” for arts, tech, breweries, etc., outlined in the Victoria 3.0 document.

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:21 PM

What do we expect for this site?

No matter what happens in this district I think I would be disappointed if there aren't a fair number of plays-on-words related to metals or industry.

• Nparker likes this

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:23 PM

Seriously though, I have no problem with a faux-industrial esthetic, but I do have a problem when the definition of faux-industrial is very narrow and pays no heed to what old industrial/warehouse uses in Victoria actually looked like.

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:51 PM

...I believe this site falls in the zone the CoV wants to turn into a major economic hub dubbed the “innovation district” ...

I just hope the "ID" is as successful as the "design district" and "breakwater district" have been in reaping the endless benefits of their respective brandings.

Also, if the CI lands form part of the "innovation district", how does Telus Ocean fit in, when it's nowhere near or is that yet another "district"?

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:18 PM

If we're serious about industrial revival, how about a "breakwater design and innovation" district?

...or is that yet another "district"?

Distinct districts should be strictly distinguished.

Edited by aastra, 18 December 2020 - 04:20 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#68 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:21 PM

Since the city somehow managed to chase the maritime museum out to the hinterlands of Langford - which will be a huge white elephant IMO as a consequence - I think this 'district' would be an ideal place for a first class First Nations cultural and interpretive center and museum; it would attract tourists beyond and past the usual Government Street stroll in addition to offering up something truly unique to people from places like China and Europe for example. I have friends from Germany that could care less about the Empress Hotel or the Crystal Garden: all they're interested in when they come to BC are the forests and First Nations culture and historic lore.....

Since the lands just further along near the Powerhouse on Rock Bay were transferred back to the Songhees FN I think its a no-brainer - but what do I know? Aside from the fact I know if done right it would be a fantastic location literally right FN land, owned and run and staffed (jobs anyone?!?) by them. In another life I consulted for a Vancouver firm with clients in Alberta once of which was the Blood Nation and 'holy gee willickers Batman' you should see the museum those folks built on their reserve. It was amazing.....why can't we do something like that here? Especially as people moan all the time about how the core has lost all sorts of tourist attractions over the years. This would be a home run I think.

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:05 PM

...why can't we do something like that here...

Because as a region we are over-governed and under-served.

#70 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:03 PM

Because as a region we are over-governed and under-served.

Well yes there's that: reminds me of vainly trying to explain to my English cousins some years ago why - exactly - a small region way out on the edge of the continent with less people than Surrey has 13 mayors and councils. Being from Greater London which has exactly one of each but 25x our population they just looked stupefied and shook their heads and muttered something about "what a waste". Indeed.

It is what it is and if local politicians have their way they will continue to dig in their heels and dredge up every lame excuse under the sun about why a Balkins-by-the-Sea is a better model than an amalgamated CRD. But well all know there is only one REAL reason - and it's spelled "j-o-b s-e-c-u-r-i-t-y".

• Nparker likes this

#71 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

Ten-on-the-10th-February-2021b.jpg

Northern Junk, Capital Iron lands and Victoria real-estate development Q&A with Jon Stovell of Reliance Properties

"We have ten major properties in the City of Victoria that over time can add up to over two million square feet of development potential, so we are in Victoria for the long term and highly committed."

"I think the City and the community as a whole is struggling a little bit with its identity as it sits on the cusp of changing from a large college and government town, or perhaps a ‘Museum City,’ to a globally relevant urban area at the gateway to the Pacific Rim. Think of Vancouver and Victoria as New York and Boston."

"...our newly-acquired Capital Iron lands are planned to move forward as a major project for the north side of the downtown at over seven-acres on which 15-to-16 buildings will rise with uses that include marine-related and light industrial spaces, offices, cultural enterprises and residences."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

One wonders if Reliance, given all the hub-bub and fuss over the tiny NJ property, is actually dreading trying to come up with a master plan for 15-16 buildings.

Obviously I hope I'm completely wrong but at the rate the NJ proposal is proceeding - or not - the Capital Iron properties have the potential to be an unholy rat's nest tied up for years in a sea of city stonewalling, 'faux' heritage outrage, delays, more delays, objections, deferrals, and re-designs....

OTOH if the NIMBY gang can see the potential - finally - after decades of neglect, the Old Town area might actually realize its potential and amount to something other than block after block of blight: crumbling, deteriorating buildings, in some cases on the verge of collapse, do not a tourist magnet make. Fingers crossed......

• Nparker likes this

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:42 AM

I'm with you AsE.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#74 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:50 AM

Young folks (reddit users) are overwhelmingly in favour of more development downtown. They’re aware of how ridiculous the NJ fiasco has been.
The heritage preservationists are finally being seen for the villianous bullies they are. I think they will die soon. Not many of them are young people

#75 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:16 AM

Young folks (reddit users) are overwhelmingly in favour of more development downtown. They’re aware of how ridiculous the NJ fiasco has been.
The heritage preservationists are finally being seen for the villianous bullies they are. I think they will die soon. Not many of them are young people

Young folk are in favour of more development as they think it will translate into lower housing costs for them. Fact is that never happens in cases like this. Improving an underdeveloped area of town will just increase the prices of housing in the area.

Having said that, I think that Reliance is hoping that the Feds fund the "Ocean Hub" plan in which case Helps and crew will pass whatever they come up with.

#76 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:25 AM

these guys must be gluttons for punishment if they want to try to get 15 or 16 buildings through before 2200.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 April 2021 - 10:26 AM.

#77 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:30 AM

Young folk are in favour of more development as they think it will translate into lower housing costs for them. Fact is that never happens in cases like this. Improving an underdeveloped area of town will just increase the prices of housing in the area.

Having said that, I think that Reliance is hoping that the Feds fund the "Ocean Hub" plan in which case Helps and crew will pass whatever they come up with.

Why do people try to tie Waterfront + Downtown + blocking development to low housing costs?  Won't dropping the price of housing downtown create induced demand which will increase prices?

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:53 AM

What other city in the world insists that affordable housing should be built on the most desirable (waterfront) land?

• spanky123 likes this

#79 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

Why do people try to tie Waterfront + Downtown + blocking development to low housing costs? 

Look who has created this narrative - developers. Who stands to gain the most with the narrative - developers!

I am not suggesting that the downtown shouldn't be redeveloped, just that it is a fallacy for people to think that will mean that they will be able to rent a 1 bedroom for $800 a month or buy a 1 bedroom condo for $350K! Look at how much new inventory has come on the market in the past couple of years yet rents and prices are higher than ever.

Edited by spanky123, 11 April 2021 - 10:03 AM.

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:56 AM

...it is a fallacy for people to think that will mean that they will be able to rent a 1 bedroom for $800 a month or buy a 1 bedroom condo for $350K!...

Does any intelligent person actually think this is true?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users