Barb's Fish & Chips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

Purely as an aside I was quite surprised that there apparently isn't an existing thread on this well known eatery, at least one I could find easily; at any rate went down last week during the nice weather for the first time since it was sold a few years back. In a nutshell what a huge disappointment: the prices were actually ok - $23.50 for 2 (large) pieces of halibut/fries is not bad as anywhere in this town its north of $20. But "wow" the quality of the fish was just awful - "mushy" would be the most apt description. "Tasteless" would be a close second.

I always enjoyed my previous visits to Barb's (when it was actually owned by "Barb"), but it will be a long, long time before I/we patronize this establishment again. I can think of at least a half dozen "fish and chips" joints in town that serve up an infinitely superior product. Terrible let down.

#2 Sanjeet

Sanjeet
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

Purely as an aside I was quite surprised that there apparently isn't an existing thread on this well known eatery, at least one I could find easily; at any rate went down last week during the nice weather for the first time since it was sold a few years back. In a nutshell what a huge disappointment: the prices were actually ok - $23.50 for 2 (large) pieces of halibut/fries is not bad as anywhere in this town its north of $20. But "wow" the quality of the fish was just awful - "mushy" would be the most apt description. "Tasteless" would be a close second.

I always enjoyed my previous visits to Barb's (when it was actually owned by "Barb"), but it will be a long, long time before I/we patronize this establishment again. I can think of at least a half dozen "fish and chips" joints in town that serve up an infinitely superior product. Terrible let down.

You know there are times where I go there and I question whether I even got Halibut.  I eat enough Cod, Haddock, Halibut, Tilapia and other fish to know the differences in texture and taste, but man I could've sworn there are times where my "Halibut" was not Halibut.  Oh well. I do agree that the quality has gone down hill and I actually prefer the Fish and Chips from the place next door.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#3 Spurtz

Spurtz
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

You're not imagining things. The quality of the food has completely tanked when ownership changed. I've been on the wharf and have heard and watched people vehemently complain about being "ripped off". The locals have long since figured this out.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

/\.....Mrs ASE has decided that next time on Fisherman's Wharf we're going to try the Mexican place which anecdotally I've heard good things about. As for Barb they are now on the official "PNG" list.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users