Photo

Is There a Method in City Planner Madness?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

Oh wow, a bridge across into James Bay?  Clearly they envisioned a completely different demographic living in the area by 1990.

#22 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

I think you can look no further than the old island highway beautification project in View Royal as an example of how infrastructure is done here. The goal of that project was to slow down a major thoroughfare through View Royal. I'd be curious to know what the residents of the area think about the project now. If I lived there I'd probably be pretty mad at the politicians who cooked that up.

• Nparker likes this

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

Residents are mad. They're literally immobile between the hours of 3 and 6PM. Can you imagine living in a community that has engineered every artery into a congested thoroughfare? Literally engineered it that way? That'd be horrible.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

Road diets are very good,  but need to be part of a comprehensive plan to deal with the lost private vehicle traffic.  You can't just do road diets without pairing that with improved transit.  That's the long term plan, but you need to do it all together and quickly because the transition can be painful even in the best of circumstances.  

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

Improved transit has been the talk of this town since the mid-1990's.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

The best transportation plan is a land use plan. This city, as it transitions from a big town to a small city will need a more cohesive densification strategy in order to make a multi-modal transportation network more viable.

Don't get discouraged, we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world!

#27 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

The best transportation plan is a land use plan. This city, as it transitions from a big town to a small city will need a more cohesive densification strategy in order to make a multi-modal transportation network more viable.

Don't get discouraged, we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world!

I will agree that, "[t]he best transportation plan is a land use plan" but how can you say, "[d]on't get discouraged"?!!?

There is no "city" in this discussion. There are cities, plural, who cannot agree on anything, let alone a, "cohesive densification strategy". 

As for a, "a multi-modal transportation network " did you catch the Premier's announcement on light rail? Unless by "multi-modal" you mean both cars and buses, we are royally screwed.

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

Road diets are very good,  but need to be part of a comprehensive plan to deal with the lost private vehicle traffic.  You can't just do road diets without pairing that with improved transit.  

But we have no way to run transit, except buses on those same plugged roads, in the same lanes as cars, right?  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users