Pacific FC | Canadian Premier League

• Please log in to reply
640 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

Not completely out of the blue, but nobody seems to know who the financial backers are here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

Really? I like to think I'm part of the "soccer community" and this came pretty much out of nowhere.

BTW Calgary just announced their team at a big party yesterday.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

CRD/Victoria has to learn how toot its own horns/thumps its chest better.

This is great news, with little fanfare or press.

A better staged event would bring more awareness. Like tedward said, a party to announce. With the press, a vision of the way ahead and balloons.

Have to have balloons.

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

Methinks that the big show is on the way. So far the CPL only lists two clubs, in York and Calgary. Calgary's launch was just last week, and York the week before. Might be a one club a week launch format?

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

Methinks that the big show is on the way. So far the CPL only lists two clubs, in York and Calgary. Calgary's launch was just last week, and York the week before. Might be a one club a week launch format?

Unofficially, it's a very poorly kept secret who the clubs are.  Heck, it's even on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...eague#Confirmed

The Victoria team is just talk at the moment, but the awkwardly named "Port City" will be playing out of Surrey.  I don't get where the port is.  Deltaport?  Port of Vancouver?  Has anyone in anyway ever nicknamed anything "Port City" over there?

#6 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

It seems to me that the travel costs for a league like this will be a major challenge. They're going to have to sell a lot of tickets to pay that Vancouver to Halifax charter flight.  

The CFL relies on pretty decent attendance numbers, lots of advertising and a massive TV contract with TSN to stay afloat. Even then, the players are paid pretty paltry salaries. Hopefully these guys are hitting the ground running with some major advertisers, have a TV deal all lined up or have lots and lots of cash to burn. 

#7 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

It seems to me that the travel costs for a league like this will be a major challenge. They're going to have to sell a lot of tickets to pay that Vancouver to Halifax charter flight.  

The CFL relies on pretty decent attendance numbers, lots of advertising and a massive TV contract with TSN to stay afloat. Even then, the players are paid pretty paltry salaries. Hopefully these guys are hitting the ground running with some major advertisers, have a TV deal all lined up or have lots and lots of cash to burn. 

Yep. The WHL travels by bus, and doesn't pay the players at all. Canada is a geographically large country, and only densely populated along the US border. That's why Canadian teams play in the NHL, NBA, MLS, and MLB, rather than having their own league.

#8 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

Unofficially, it's a very poorly kept secret who the clubs are.  Heck, it's even on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...eague#Confirmed

The Victoria team is just talk at the moment, but the awkwardly named "Port City" will be playing out of Surrey.  I don't get where the port is.  Deltaport?  Port of Vancouver?  Has anyone in anyway ever nicknamed anything "Port City" over there?

Vancouver Fraser Port Authority does have facilities in Surrey, but by no means would anybody over here refer to Surrey as a port city. If asked I'd point at the Tri-Cities (Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, and Coquitlam) or the north shore.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

The kicker (forgive the pun) might be how willing the networks are to pay for broadcast rights. I’m not sure it’ll be that strong. They might need a real good contra deal with an airline. If someone can negotiate that league-wide it might help.
  • jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

TSN has the broadcast rights for MLS in Canada. Would there be appetite to hold CPL as well?

The slight advantage that soccer clubs have over other sports teams in North America is a predisposed acceptance to sponsorship advertising on the jerseys. Bell sponsors the 'Caps, I wonder who may step in to sponsor Port City or the rumoured Victoria club.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Can anyone confirm the crowd size at the Highlanders opener this past Sunday? I’m hearing 700.

Coincidentally the same weekend as the “Highland” games. I bet that did not help.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 May 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Haven't we (Canadians) already been through this re: the CSL and the Victoria Vistas, etc.?

#13 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

Can anyone confirm the crowd size at the Highlanders opener this past Sunday? I’m hearing 700.

Coincidentally the same weekend as the “Highland” games. I bet that did not help.

I would have said 500 but in any case it was  good crowd with a great atmosphere.

Haven't we (Canadians) already been through this re: the CSL and the Victoria Vistas, etc.?

Right, because the demographics in Victoria (and Canada in general) have not changed since 1990. 

With the success of the three MLS teams and a larger population growing more interested in soccer now is a great time to try again. They also have the example of the old CSL as a blueprint for how NOT to do it. :)

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

My point was that the travel distances and travel issues haven't changed. Wasn't that the major trouble with the CSL? The attendance was decent in Victoria's case.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

jonny raises the travel issue,

aastra replies that the travel issue was a big deal in the past,

tedward replies that demographics have changed,

Obelix taps his head and says these forumers are crazy.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

I'm not disagreeing with the point about Canadians being more interested in soccer today than they were back then, FYI. I'm just saying the travel issue still looms as large as before, if not larger (depending on the franchises involved).

#17 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

Born and raised in Victoria, I moved out of province 3 years ago, and now reside in Nova Scotia. Here in Halifax our CPL team was officially announced (w/ news conference, fanfare, etc.) this past Friday (May 25). This seems to be common at each of the "official" announcements. I guess Victorians will just have to wait and see...

• Mike K. likes this

#18 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Not sure how dramatic Stew is being, but apparently this whole thing hinges on BC Hydro moving a pole so that Westhills can be expanded by 300 seats... http://www.iheartrad...-pole-1.3834928

Capture.PNG

#19 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

I'm not disagreeing with the point about Canadians being more interested in soccer today than they were back then, FYI. I'm just saying the travel issue still looms as large as before, if not larger (depending on the franchises involved).

Actually the travel issue was always overblown. Certainly it will be a big expense but as with any business expense it is not about the absolute cost but whether that cost can be borne. The real issue is paying spectators in the stands, and sponsorships, which is why I spoke about demographics. If they get enough revenue from ticket sales and sponsorships the travel costs will be taken care of. There are also rumours of an airline sponsor for the league.

The current plans of the league apparently aim for a sustainable league based on average league attendance of 7,000 per game. I don't know the time frame but what I have heard is that they are prepared to build to that number over several years.

#20 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

Actually the travel issue was always overblown. Certainly it will be a big expense but as with any business expense it is not about the absolute cost but whether that cost can be borne. The real issue is paying spectators in the stands, and sponsorships, which is why I spoke about demographics. If they get enough revenue from ticket sales and sponsorships the travel costs will be taken care of. There are also rumours of an airline sponsor for the league.

The current plans of the league apparently aim for a sustainable league based on average league attendance of 7,000 per game. I don't know the time frame but what I have heard is that they are prepared to build to that number over several years.

Isn't that roughly equivalent to the royals? I cant see a Victoria Soccer team being as or more popular than the Royals

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users