Pacific FC | Canadian Premier League

• Please log in to reply
640 replies to this topic

#461 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

In your opinion, which I see in completely the opposite way from an escaping point of view and that is why I will likely never go to a game. It is good we have choices for everyone to live though. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

If this were played in the city I would totally go.

I don't think there's a big enough place for them to play in the city-proper, so they had to pursue a stadium where they felt they would have the best chances of making the team viable.

It's the same with our hockey team, where the downtown arena is the only one big enough to make the team viable. I'd wager the majority of patrons at that arena on any given night are not from the City of Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#463 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

^ Well of course not. CoV is only a small proportion of the population. RAP could host the soccer team easily it had the U17 World Cup games and seating 10k I think. The problem was the timing with the HarbourCats still playing. UVic would have been a better place too though with good transit and lots of parking.
  • tedward likes this

It has a whole new look!

#464 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

uvic has the problem with the running track keeping you a fair distance from the field and then that darned covered stadium can be dark and cold even at the best of months.

compared to westhills:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 11:59 AM.

#465 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

Right the track. Yeah that takes away from it. Well I am sure we will see if having the sports team out in the burbs will be a good choice in the next year or so.

It has a whole new look!

#466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

i was chatting online with a friend today that’s pretty up on local sports. they said this and I quote:

Problem is -- no one gives a crap. Even games you can go to with two cans of kernel corn got actual attendance of 500. It's not location, no one goes out to watch people play so-called pro soccer. Lots of locals on Highlanders, they are lucky to get 50 people. They didnt go to RAP because the city was going to make them pay. Soccer in Canada is a participation sport, not a spectator sport, we are terrible at it. Read up on Canada's game against USA on Tuesday, USA coach saying it's a complete waste of time. Exercise in futility. This so-called pro soccer in Victoria and in Canada is not even close to viable, will be millions in losses.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#467 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

Langford bent over backwards to help the team. Whereas Victoria would have made the experiment even more costlier and problematic. I have to wonder sometimes how long it’ll be before the HarbourCats are wooed away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#468 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

wooed away to what though?  baseball stadiums have a certain shape for best results.  you know, like a wide v for seating.  unlike soccer or rugby or football.

#469 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

It was only a year ago that Langford didn’t have a sizable soccer pitch.

I can imagine some of the land at Juan de Fuca is ripe for investment. Some of that land is poorly utilized in its current form and a few deeper pockets could easily change that.

Know it all.

#470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

at least the parking would be better there.  but that's colwood or westshore rec. at best.  langford can't go it alone there.  so it's not going to happen. 

downtown stadiums are what people like.  granted it would be a bit better if there was a little more food/bev. close by for pre and post-game food/drinks near rap but it's a good central location.  and i'm not sure how many food trucks and beer brands the harbourcats already have but it's a pretty good selection right in the park.  certainly better than royals games' or concert food/bev selection at the arena.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#471 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

And I meant capacity, not just the field.

Know it all.

#472 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

I think the HarbourCats are just fine so long as they are left alone. They have the highest attendance in their league and a decent history now.

It has a whole new look!

#473 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

Langford bent over backwards to help the team. Whereas Victoria would have made the experiment even more costlier and problematic. I have to wonder sometimes how long it’ll be before the HarbourCats are wooed away.

I think that Langford was the place to have a team if you were going to do it. I am surprised that the missed the mark so widely though. Usually Stu and team do a much better job in planning. The total bill (if we count moving the pole) will be something like $10M for the pitch will it not? If PC Facific isn't successful, how will hey ever recover that investment?

#474 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:26 PM

stew. well presumably the stadium has use for rugby and such. the pole hasn’t been moved has it?

#475 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

friend says:

Most, if not all, PFC crowds woulda fit into the stadium there before 10m was spent. Crowd count announcements have not been truthful, like Royals. RAP more than big enuf for what PFC has managed -- let's be honest, it has not gone well, not for a group looking to average 6k-7k, and with a publicly stated goal to reach that to get to a 5mil budget, there never was a chance.

Now, Westhills will have seats there that will never be sat in -- unless Elvis shows up on tour.

What about the rumors and sense that even the supporter group has fallen off? Away game parties with 3 or 4 people? The supporter section very small in numbers? Do even the supporters doubt this is something that can survive? Any more talk on the high ticket prices?

someone here said the supporters group was small last game right?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 06:41 PM.

#476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

Can’t say anyone's surprised. Soccer just doesn’t have a large enough draw.

Know it all.

#477 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

Like I said I would fully go if it was in town. I would bet that I am not alone. People in Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay and Esquimalt are not going to drive out to Langford to a parking nightmare and there is simply no chance they are going to take the bus. While parking isn't great at SOFMC or RAP people in the core know the places to look or are willing to hop on a quick bus ride or taxi. If people heading out to Langford it would be their first time. So they are trying to draw 6-7k from the West Shore. Getting close to 10% of the population to anything would be unheard of for almost any sport. 

I know everyone likes to think that Langford is close and it is for a burb, but this is akin to putting a sports league in Langley and expecting people from Vancouver and Richmond to attend, not going to happen. Soccer isn't the problem it is the location 100%.

It has a whole new look!

#478 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

^So nobody goes to the games but you're not going because it's a parking nightmare?

Where do the Vancouver Giants play again?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#479 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:24 PM

Like I said I would fully go if it was in town. I would bet that I am not alone. People in Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay and Esquimalt are not going to drive out to Langford to a parking nightmare and there is simply no chance they are going to take the bus. 

I know everyone likes to think that Langford is close and it is for a burb, but this is akin to putting a sports league in Langley and expecting people from Vancouver and Richmond to attend, not going to happen. Soccer isn't the problem it is the location 100%.

Oh that is rich. 

It's 15 to 20 minutes away without the parking "ambassadors".  Meanwhile 30 years of the CRD community plan has forced almost all building to be out on the Westshore where "there is simply no chance they are going to take the bus"?

Attached Images

• Langley_Van.JPG
  • Vic_Chem.JPG

Edited by On the Level, 14 October 2019 - 08:27 PM.

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

Like I said I would fully go if it was in town. I would bet that I am not alone. People in Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay and Esquimalt are not going to drive out to Langford to a parking nightmare...

Sure they would. Langford’s big box stores are flooded by people from those municipalities every weekend.

I just don’t think soccer is popular enough to draw large enough crowds. Even hockey can be a struggle at SOFMC and that’s as popular a sport as we have in this country.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users