Missing Person in Cowichan Area

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 SamCB

SamCB
  • 602 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

I've been following the story of this missing family man in the Cowichan Valley. The story doesn't make much sense.

• The car was left running
  • Blood in the car
  • No other details

What nobody is commenting on is: did he have a history of mental illness? Were there marital or financial problems? Were there signs of a struggle along with the blood? Was it a few drops of blood, or was someone clearly stabbed? Are we thinking this was an abduction? or suicide? or psychotic break? or animal attack? Surely there must be SOME hints or guesses about what happened.

Not many details... but then again, maybe those in the know have no details either. Very strange case...

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

Indeed. There was also blood on a trail near the vehicle, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 SamCB

SamCB
  • 602 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:25 AM

^ I don't know. I also recall earlier last week they were telling people he may be near a large white rock, or something.

The "Find Ben Kilmer" facebook page posted this very weird post: https://www.facebook...262919580957527

Asking people to listen to the lyrics of a "God's Angels" song "VERY IMPORTANT" -- and it looks like someone has tried to "channel" some drawings of the area he might be? 

It's all very strange.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

Right, I believe there’s a medium/psychic involved now. That’s where the odd statements would have been originating from.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,097 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

A "small amount" of blood was found in the van, an unspecified amount was found on a trail. 

"Psychics" should be ashamed of themselves for preying on the vulnerable and giving false hope. They've never solved a crime, never found a person using their fake abilities. Never 

• Nparker, SamCB, jonny and 1 other like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 602 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

^Not to mention they really confuse people who might try to help. It would nice to know Facts from Fantasy.

Reading through the posts on the Facebook page raises more questions than answers. They are actively discouraging any kind of speculation, except of course the speculation from 3 mediums.

And the Page owner (spouse?) has made some posts that make me scratch my head. The bolded emphasis below is mine. Why does she think he was on adrenaline, trying to get away, to contemplate life, family, etc.?  Either she knows something about his mental state at the time and isn't giving details; or this is "channeled" or intuited information. Very strange.  In any case I hope they find him safe and alive. 

https://www.facebook...262115357704616

I NEED EVERYONE TO HEAR THIS AND TO BE HERE IF YOU CAN! SHARE THIS ETH EVERYONE AND ANYONE!!

I feel in every ounce of my body and soul that Ben is still Alive! He needs us. I feel with everything that he will be found today! Please hear my cry for help!

Yesterday we made a ton of progress! I started at Ben’s truck, I sat and prayed where he was, where there was some blood found (possibly from a nosebleed). I took the Trans Canada trail towards Lake Cowichan on quad. EVERYTHING that is significant to Ben, the cabin that he built with his friends near Heather mountain, a cabin near the nit nat, SKUTZ FALLS WHERE WE MET FOR THE FIRST TIME ON THE RIVER, it is all there!

He would have needed water, he was going on Adrenalin, trying to get away to the outdoors that he loves. It has always breathed life into him. Ben is smart and strong, he would have needed water but not flat water, a fast flowing creek, a river!

I believe in every ounce of my being that we are close. I was devastated to end my journey at dark last night in the skutz area, to leave Ben another night, but I KNOW THAT HE IS STRONG AND HE IS SURVIVING!

The search and rescue has been exhausted! Tina will be rallying this morning to send dogs out on the trail!

PLEASE BRING EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING YOU CAN! I need a LINE of 40-60 people extending from the ENTRY OF SKUTZ FALLS off the trans Canada trail going left towards the COWICHAN RIVER! I NEED DOGS, BOATS ON THE RIVER, PEOPLE COMING UP THR RIVER TO MEET US AT THE CREST OF THE LAND, HILL, DROP OR BANK!

I NEED DRONES, HELICOPTERS, PLANES!! ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING! HE IS THERE!

HE HAS FALLEN, I BELIEVE IN SEARCH FOR WATER, IN SEARCH OF SKUTZ FALLS TO THINK, TO CONTEMPLATE LIFE, OUR FAMILY, OUR JOURNEY TOGETHER. HE KNEW HE HAD TO GO LEFT BUT WAS TRYING TO GET DOWN ON A SMALL TRAIL, THROUGH BUSHES OR TREES TO AVOID THE ROAD. THE GROUND GAVE OUT AT SOME POINT NEAR THE RIVER AND HE HAS FALLEN, ALMOST ON A HILL AND A CLIFF BUT IS LYING BETWEEN THE RIVER AND WHERE THE LAND GAVE WAY OR JUST ABOVE WHERE THE LAND THAT LOOKS DOWN TO THE RIVER IS. THIS OS ME WORKING WITH TARA TAYLOR AT THIS POINT (CLAIRVOYANT, AND BELIEVES IN GOD LIKE I DO WITH EVERY OUNCE OF MY BEING). HE IS THERE!! WE BELIEVE THAT HE HAS NOT CROSSED THE RIVER!

I WILL BE THERE! Bring ropes if you have them!! We may need them in the ledges! I will bring ours!!

I will see you out there!!! SKUTZ FALLS WHERE, EXTEND ALONG TR TRANS CANADA TRAIL AND GO TO THE RIVER!! Don’t wait!! START AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!

• Rob Randall likes this

#7 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

Not having all the facts doesn't really help much in a full scale wilderness search.

If a life is at stake, or hanging in the balance ... privacy and political correctness don't really matter.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Right. And people are putting their own safety and lives at risk trying to find the individual.

The official search has now been called off.

Know it all.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

I'm no expert on missing or vanished people, but the fact that the engine was still running seems very odd.  For all anyone knows, he was not the last person even in the truck.  Something may have happened to him when and if/because/how he parted with the truck at some other location not near where it was found.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 May 2018 - 12:51 PM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 jonny

jonny
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

Right. And people are putting their own safety and lives at risk trying to find the individual.

The official search has now been called off.

And why are official searches typically called off? 

Too dangerous for rescuers and/or no reasonable likelihood of finding the missing person.

Let's assume the RCMP used police dogs trained in the recovery of humans, both alive and dead. If Ben Klimer was not found within the immediate area of his work van by police sniffer dogs, he's probably left the area - either at his behest or somebody else's. If he was having some sort of breakdown and wandered off into the woods, it's probably pretty safe to assume sniffer dogs would have tracked him down. People who get lost in the woods are usually found. 

I'd say it's very unlikely Ben Klimer or the body of Ben Klimer are anywhere near the area where his work van was found running. 

Edited by jonny, 24 May 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Searches are normally called off when the expectation of finding a person alive in the search area is slim.  Or I suppose if the search area itself is in significant question.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

Some people don't want to be found.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,097 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

I'm no expert on missing or vanished people

...says the vanished person.

...but the fact that the engine was still running seems very odd.  For all anyone knows, he was not the last person even in the truck.  Something may have happened to him when and if/because/how he parted with the truck at some other location not near where it was found.

Without further clues, and adding up the known public evidence it seems anything is possible. Did he run from responsibilities like Harold Backer? Did he fall to his death while taking a leak like Tom Thompson? Suicide? Kidnapping? Maybe he slammed on the brakes to avoid a deer and hit his head and stumbled away in a daze. Maybe it's one or more of the above. Like the friend of legendary comedy writer Doug Kenney speculated after Kenney's body was found at the base of a cliff, "Doug was looking for a better place to jump from when he slipped".

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#14 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

If "officials" felt Ben Kilmer was still alive ... they'd continue searching for him.

Calling off the search therefore tends to imply that they know something we don't know ... and that officials feel there isn't any hope of finding him alive.

Alternately, a scenario #2 might mean that officials feel he's not missing at all, and he simply wanted to get away from the life he was living.

If it was scenario #1, then his body will hopefully be "stumbled upon" someday in order to provide closure for his family.

If it was scenario #2, then presumably the RCMP are simply respecting his privacy and leaving him to his "new" life somewhere else.

Either way, it appears to have no good end for his family, and the likelihood of this being scenario #2 is probably small to none.

#15 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

Like the friend of legendary comedy writer Doug Kenney speculated after Kenney's body was found at the base of a cliff, "Doug was looking for a better place to jump from when he slipped".

Geez! ... I never thought I'd see a Doug Kenny reference made by anybody but me!

Thanks Rob!

That quote about looking for a better place to jump when he slipped was from Doug's best friend and fellow National Lampoon writer Chris Miller.

I've looked for it for years, and never found it ... but literally the most brilliant TV I've ever seen in my entire life was the Tom Snyder "Tomorrow Show" episode with Doug Kenny and Chris Miller as Tom's only guests.

It was a terrifying look into the minds behind National Lampoon, and a good look at what a couple of guys with IQ's approaching 200 look like.

Anyway, a solid Doug Kenny reference has now made my day :)

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

If "officials" felt Ben Kilmer was still alive ... they'd continue searching for him.

Calling off the search therefore tends to imply that they know something we don't know ... and that officials feel there isn't any hope of finding him alive.

Alternately, a scenario #2 might mean that officials feel he's not missing at all, and he simply wanted to get away from the life he was living.

If it was scenario #1, then his body will hopefully be "stumbled upon" someday in order to provide closure for his family.

If it was scenario #2, then presumably the RCMP are simply respecting his privacy and leaving him to his "new" life somewhere else.

Either way, it appears to have no good end for his family, and the likelihood of this being scenario #2 is probably small to none.

Scenario #3 Foul play is involved and he is miles away from the search location and the truck was driven there by someone else.

#17 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

I wondered if he had a sudden nosebleed then suffered some sort of cerebral event and fell down a gully or something. That undergrowth is so thick people would be hard to see under it.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

I wondered if he had a sudden nosebleed then suffered some sort of cerebral event and fell down a gully or something. That undergrowth is so thick people would be hard to see under it.

If you had a sudden nosebleed how far away from your vehicle would you go, leaving the engine running?

The whole thing is odd, right up to his wife's behaviour.

#19 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there's foul play here that hits close to home if you catch the drift

#20 jonny

jonny
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

The whole thing is really odd. If he was dead in the immediate vicinity, surely the cadaver dogs would have located the body.

[It would stink by now, so even a lowly human would locate the body.]

Edited by jonny, 24 May 2018 - 07:33 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users