Photo

Missing Person in Cowichan Area

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

Bizarre. I just caught up on this. Hope he is found but that's a long time gone at eight days.

I also feel for the SAR professional who has to be responsive to a family using a psychic. That must be hard. 

#22 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

A "small amount" of blood was found in the van, an unspecified amount was found on a trail. 

"Psychics" should be ashamed of themselves for preying on the vulnerable and giving false hope. They've never solved a crime, never found a person using their fake abilities. Never 

Like many people I've wondered in passing over the years if there was anything to such claims.   My mind isn't made up, but I'm open to whatever possibility credible evidence suggests.

We know that the Soviet Union did a great deal of research in the paranormal with the hope of exploiting it from a military and intelligence gathering perspective.  Logically, one would assume that they had some information that motivated them to conduct such research at such length.

It's an area that attracts flakes and fakes like flies to a corpse obviously.

Your dogmatic assertion made me wonder for a moment if you had some definite information on which to base your statement, rather than just an emotional aversion to such questions?

Curiosity aroused, I spent a few minutes following links online and found these testimonials here

A person with the time and interest could research those names and cases further I suppose.

And of course that "psychic" is just a name I picked at random.  There are many others a curious person could look into.

But you already "know" so why confuse yourself with conflicting information?

#23 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

Interestingly, three in every four Americans believes in psychic phenomena.

Personally, I don't equate believing in something with that "something" actually being true or factual.

Indeed, the rational course of action would be to require the person who "believes" in some sort of unproven phenomena to actually provide some sort of evidence to support their belief beyond their simply believing in it.

The religious concept of believing in something being enough to automatically make it "real" doesn't pass the smell test at the best of times, let alone attempting to apply it to something as obtuse as psychic phenomena.

Edited by Cassidy, 25 May 2018 - 10:28 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#24 SamCB

SamCB
  • 599 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

The religious concept of believing in something being enough to automatically make it "real" doesn't pass the smell test at the best of times, 

Well, that is precisely what the placebo effect is -- believing in something apparently makes it "real" enough to have a measurable effect... at least within your own body, medically. Agreed wrt psychics though... believing another person is somewhere does not make that person appear there...

Edited by SamCB, 25 May 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Your dogmatic assertion made me wonder for a moment if you had some definite information on which to base your statement, rather than just an emotional aversion to such questions?

But you already "know" so why confuse yourself with conflicting information?

It's an established fact that there is no known case of a psychic offering useful information to a crime, beyond simply making the same educated guesses (ie: the body is submerged downriver) that we all make. If people want to have fun with horoscopes, fine. But when opportunistic and parasitic psychics throw searchers off with wild goose chases it makes things worse. 

I am impressed with the dedication of the volunteers, out there with ATVs and drones. 

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#26 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

It's an established fact that there is no known case of a psychic offering useful information to a crime, beyond simply making the same educated guesses (ie: the body is submerged downriver) that we all make. If people want to have fun with horoscopes, fine. But when opportunistic and parasitic psychics throw searchers off with wild goose chases it makes things worse. 

I am impressed with the dedication of the volunteers, out there with ATVs and drones. 

I see - you read that it is so on Wikipedia?  Wiki is certainly a useful resource, but it might be stretching things just a little bit to make up your mind on the basis of the most recent edit of a one page article on such a complex subject.

Many didactic little souls seem to find their way onto Wikipedia where they stamp their feet and shout back and forth and contradict each other in the edit section as they attempt to get their "definitive truths" published as the latest version. 

Did you actually read any of those testimonials on that website I linked to?  You probably didn't look up those peace officers purportedly quoted there did you?  And I suppose it's even less likely that you attempted to contact any of them to ask if in fact they made those statements as given, or what context they might be willing to add to them? 

A person who was actually seeking understanding and knowledge would do those things if they doubted the veracity of those attributed statements.  I didn't need to bother as I have no stake in the matter and if the peace officers and other officials quoted are real people I suspect the site owner would have been compelled long ago to remove any statements attributed if they were not accurate.   That is a reasonable and probable conclusion. 

Of course the people who made those statements may be completely wrong.  They may have been deceived.  The "psychic" might have paid them a lot of money to make false statements - but those are not probable scenarios; therefore a reasonable person would recognize that the balance of probability suggests that they did in fact make those statements on the basis of their observations and experiences.

Rational inquiry does not start with blanket assertions, it starts with questions, evidence, and extrapolation on the basis of reasonable probability, which suggests likely avenues of further inquiry. 

But of course humans are mostly irrational and will frequently cherry-pick whatever "evidence" suits their personal convenience and advantage, all the while insisting how "rational" they are.   The more vociferous and fanatical, the more they struggle to suppress what the little voice of reason in their heads keeps whispering. :judge:

#27 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 2,989 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

I see - you read that it is so on Wikipedia?  Wiki is certainly a useful resource, but it might be stretching things just a little bit to make up your mind on the basis of the most recent edit of a one page article on such a complex subject.

The little numbers in superscript at the ends of certain sentences are references: many to peer-reviewed academic journals.

giphy.gif

https://giphy.com/gi...I8p6hYQXS/html5

Edited by Bob Fugger, 25 May 2018 - 02:08 PM.

• shoeflack likes this

#28 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

....A person who was actually seeking understanding and knowledge would do those things if they doubted the veracity of those attributed statements. ....

Nah, the only people seeking understanding and knowledge about psychics helping solve crimes are people already inclined to believe in such stupidity.

People "in the know" have long realized that such things are pure bunk, and seek no further information from any "psychic detectives" on the issue.

Now UFO's on the other hand ... those are totally real!

• Rob Randall likes this

#29 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

The little numbers in superscript at the ends of certain sentences are references: many to peer-reviewed academic journals.

They're usually referred to as "footnotes" or "citations", at least they were when I went to university.

Does that have something to do with the matter at hand?

Nah, the only people seeking understanding and knowledge about psychics helping solve crimes are people already inclined to believe in such stupidity.

People "in the know" have long realized that such things are pure bunk, and seek no further information from any "psychic detectives" on the issue.

Now UFO's on the other hand ... those are totally real!

You know it is "stupidity" how again? 

Because you just "know", don't you?

You haven't made any serious attempt to inform yourself, or even consider any evidence or whether it might have some credibility.

In short,you believe what you want to believe and close your mind to what you don't want to believe.  That's what the majority have done throughout history, and will always continue to do. 

The "beliefs" change, the psychology never changes.

#30 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 5,944 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:22 PM

WTF is going on in this thread. Thought I'd pop in cause I am not really interested in this topic (dude has a long history of drug associations). Suddenly we're all gods, demons, witches and warlocks?
  • 57WestHills likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#31 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 5,944 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

^disclaimer

I believe in nothing except myself... and my husband about 85%* of the time.

*VHF (usual)
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#32 SamCB

SamCB
  • 599 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

(dude has a long history of drug associations).

This is new info to me.

#33 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:19 AM

You know it is "stupidity" how again? 

Stupid is as stupid does.

#34 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 2,989 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

They're usually referred to as "footnotes" or "citations", at least they were when I went to university.

Which are both a type of reference. Say, you seem to be getting the hang of this. Good for you!
  • Rob Randall likes this

#35 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

........and now back to our regular program.

Somebody's dad and husband is missing. Let's stick with that. 

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:53 AM

The five-month-long search for missing Ben Kilmer has ended in tragedy as the family and RCMP have confirmed his body was discovered last week.

In a statement early Wednesday morning, Kilmer’s family says the 41-year-old’s body was found in a remote area of Duncan Oct. 17.

https://www.cheknews...onfirms-501871/

#37 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

Not foul play, and his family (including a couple of little kids) definitely loved the guy dearly ... it's somewhat depressing to ponder what possibly could have led him down the road he choose to wander, especially when "being found easily" didn't appear to be part of his plan.

Didn't know the guy ... but still, with a couple of little kids ... RIP Ben.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.