Perfect Orgasm

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

9 [ ] Scenic route does not circumnavigate entire island.
10 [ ] Had High tea at empress but was apparently charged a full night's stay.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

11 [ ] waited around all day but never saw the floating symphony performance.

It has a whole new look!

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

12 [ ] Discovered Needle Exchange was not a craft store

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

One thing that bugs the heck outta me about these ads are the photos. Every single image on this brochure showcases an experience that you could have nearly anywhere. The wine, the beaches, the sushi, the chocolate... none of these items is unique to Victoria. And I hate to say it, but I am sure that most visitors could find these items, along with a great orgasm, in their home town.

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Good point. Looks like most of them are stock photos. And if they aren't, they certainly could be.

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

Why not try selling Victoria as a romantic urban destination instead of some picnic basket wannabe?

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

I personally like the add campaign it is far better than the crap they have done in the past.

It has a whole new look!

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

The stock photo thing is really bugging me now. This campaign is posing as some radical reinterpretation of Victoria's image, when in fact the only genuine image of Victoria that you see is the standard shot (now decades old) of the legislative buildings at night. The other pictures are either generic or only dubiously related to Victoria (a beautiful beach that's three hours away by car, and a million dollar shot of a killer whale that you'd probably never get if you went whale watching twice a day for six months). Why not throw in a generic golf course? Or a generic ski resort? Or a guy holding a prize salmon?

#29 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

I'd much rather see the Wonderdogs than those generic shots of Vic.

#30 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

Well, so we have sex promoting tourism in Victoria; and meanwhile in Vancouver, a developer is using "webisodes" that supposedly emulate "Sex and the City" type scenarios to sell condos. The perfect O moves a lot of product, I guess...

See [url=http://www.futureofrealestatemarketing.com/sitcom-used-to-sell-condos:ce606]Sitcoms used to sell condos[/url:ce606]. The following is from that site:
[quote]When I said [url=http://www.futureofrealestatemarketing.com/inman-connect-highlights-real-estate-20:ce606]Video Killed the Virtual Tour[/url:ce606], I wasn’t kidding. But the [url=http://www.cressey.com/:ce606]developer[/url:ce606] of the Donovan condominiums in Vancouver, Canada has taken the idea one step further. They’ve partnered with a local film production company to produce [url=http://www.donovanlife.com/:ce606]a mini-series about life in their Yaletown building[/url:ce606]. (Warning - some of the content is adult in nature and may be NSFW)

[quote:ce606]“Donovan Life” is a lifestyle comedy in the tradition of “Sex and the City”, “Will & Grace,” and “Friends”. It tells the story of Anya, a 20-something professional woman who seeks exile from her commitment-phobic boyfriend in her best gay friend Dougal’s luxurious new Yaletown apartment in the Donovan building. Over the course of the five webisodes, Anya tries to decide whether to go back to her boyfriend, or start her life anew by moving into Donovan.[/quote]

The show will be released consecutively over the next several weeks. The idea is to encourage consumers to come back weekly and catch the next episode, thus building the brand and presenting a stylized vision of life in the building.[/quote:ce606]

Well, I wonder whether in future we'll get treated to "webisodes" of life at the Empress...?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#31 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:02 PM

Um, I just wasted 10 minutes watching two of the "webisodes," and folks, my apologies to anyone who similar wastes their time. Ugh, they're stupid. If this is the new sexy, I'm going in for DIY...

:roll:
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

Here's a piece by Lorne Whyte of Tourism Victoria. He is now of the opinion that the "quaint" marketing campaign isn't representative of a "Vibrant" Victoria.

Gee, we've been trying to tell Tourism Vic that for years! Looks like they finally clued in but why must they go from one end of the spectrum to the other? Can't they just settle on a middle-ground that celebrates Victoria for what it really is sans gimmicky fluff?

TC, Feb 19th.

Ad campaign reflects a vibrant destination
The city must move beyond its quaint image to attract visitors

BY LORNE WHYTE

Tourism Victoria has recently been in the public eye with the bold, new approach the organization has taken with a recent marketing campaign. The new destination advertising campaign captures attention with headlines such as “Time to experience that tingling sensation,” “Your lust for fine fare can now be satisfied,” “It’s a long, lonely winter without golf,” “Meet Victoria. Rugged, outdoorsy and wrapped in seaweed,” “Meet Victoria. Beautiful, talented and dead sexy,” and the most controversial of all, “Your search for the perfect orgasm is over.”

While the headlines are edgy and provocative, they are meant to be a play on words, rather than offensive. The ad that has drawn the most attention — with the headline “Your search for the perfect orgasm is over” — is a culinary tourism ad that focuses on Victoria’s emerging food and wine scene.

It has only run in Northwest Palate and the Vancouver Playhouse Wine Festival magazine. Readers of these publications tend to refer to food and wine in physical, sensual terms. It’s important to include the body copy of the ad that ran under the headline to understand the context of the ad. Here is what it says: There are few things in life people are as passionate about as food. Here in Victoria you can indulge in all things culinary with unbridled passion … in the intimate atmosphere of our beautiful and historic city. Victoria is ‘the new Provence’, a region blessed with wineries, brew pubs, organic farms, the freshest seafoods, and truly splendid restaurants. If you’re lusting for fine food in perfect surroundings, the search is over.

For so long Victoria has been viewed as parochial and sleepy, rather than the vibrant, exciting city it is. Our intention is not to offend, but rather to offer a new view of Victoria that shows our “wilder side,” including access to incredible outdoor adventures and the exquisite culinary landscape. [Yeah, thanks in part to the previous marketing campaigns! Anyone else realize that since "Vibrant Victoria" came on to the scene politicians and persons in the community have been using the word "vibrant " much more often to describe elements of the city?]

Where else can you go whale watching in the morning and take a winery tour in the afternoon?

It’s important to note that this advertising campaign is just one component of the evolution of Tourism Victoria’s new brand which includes the slogan “Victoria British Columbia, full of life.”

The brand was launched in 2006 after more than a year of extensive market research. Key findings in the research suggested that there was a great opportunity to build upon beloved tourism icons and spread the word about new tourism experiences as well.

Ultimately, Tourism Victoria’s mandate is to build overnight visitor stays for the economic benefit of our community. We believe this ad, taken in its proper context, will draw culinary travellers to this beautiful city that we are so dedicated to promoting.

Lorne Whyte is president and chief executive officer of Tourism Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

I read that article and wondered if one of you :smt108 is Lorne Whyte.

As his article seems to encapsulate what we have been saying forever!

Anyways I am optimistic that Tourism Victoria is beginning to see that that the fake british schtick is as tired as the wood themed lino in your uncles cabin.

It has a whole new look!

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:13 AM

Victoria is not orgasmic, but it does "offer the best bits of Britain, transplanted." :roll:

Sexy isn’t what Victoria is about
Re: “Sexy sells Victoria,” Feb. 17. Is this really how Victoria should be marketed? While there’s little doubt this campaign will attract an audience of sorts, I suspect it won’t be the one Tourism Victoria expects.

Such a campaign might well lure those normally attending shows hosted by Ron Jeremy or ones featuring disrobing ladies, but as for the culinary elite and gourmandishly inclined? Doubtful.

Unless a complete facelift is to be done, what Victoria really offers is some of the best bits of Britain, transplanted. The topography, if not the actual footfalls, toward higher culture, if you will.

Tourism Victoria’s pandering to the lowest common denominator does a disservice both to the great unwashed and the audience it ought to be targeting.

Talk about creating performance anxiety! Alan Riches,

Victoria.

Know it all.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

Where else can you go whale watching in the morning and take a winery tour in the afternoon?

-Tofino
-Nanaimo
-Port Alberni
-San Juan Islands, WA
-Seattle, WA
-Portland, OR
-San Francisco, CA
-San Diego, CA
-Cape Cod, MA
-Annapolis Valley, NS
-Bay of Fundy, NB
-Costa Rica
-Brazil
-Finland
-South Africa
-Greece
-New Zealand
-Australia
-Ireland

There are literally hundreds more but I got bored of looking.

Try again, Lorne.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Ok what other places are the New Provence?

As for Alan Riches letter... well I am not sure I can even respond... I mean the best we have to offer is bits of Britain transplanted? If he really thinks that lowly of the city perhaps he should be transplanted.

In fact if there is one thing this marketing campaign has brought out is a bizarre self-hatred that many Victorians seem to hold. Why must our first reaction to these ads be

"Oh well those people are going to be disapointed better go back to what we know. Sticking it to tourists with a lame disneyland excursion."

I mean one of the reasons I participate in this forum is because I truly believe that Victoria is an amazing city. It does have amaizing attributes we just seem to not notice them or want to ignore them.

It has a whole new look!

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

Ok what other places are the New Provence?

-Comox Valley
-Cowichan Valley
-Cutchogue, N.Y.
-Napa Valley, CA
-Poland
-Estonia
-Portugal
-Languedoc, FR
-Aveyron, FR
-Gers, FR
-Ibiza, SP
-Istria, Croatia

etc.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

Since youre so good at these lists Holden, how about other cities that market themselves as a "Little Piece of England"?

#39 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

Actually now that I think about it, its a little ridiculous for us to argue that Victoria hasn't taken a unique approach to marketing itself. Yes, Victoria isn't the only city that has dubbed itself the "new provence" or " a little piece of England". But I an sure that Victoria is the only city to use th metaphore that you will have the "perfect orgasm" upon visiting the city.

#40 viewership

viewership
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

There was a more disturbing letter in the TC today where the writer basically said anyone that this ad campaign attracts is a sexual predator. It's frightening how up-tight people can be.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users