BUILT
Capital Park Residences
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: 500-block of Michigan Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, 3BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Capital Park Residences is the final phase of Capital Park, a mixed-use office, retail and residential project... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park Residences | Condos, townhomes | 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2022

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:42 AM

First-in-BC-technology-delivers-new-experience-for-homebuyers-at-James-Bays-Capital-Park-Residences.jpg

Coming soon to the 500-block of Michigan Street in James Bay is Capital Park Residences, a 113-suite residential complex that will complete the multi-phased Capital Park development behind the British Columbia Legislature. Capital Park Residences' presentation centre at 665 Douglas Street is employing first-in-BC technology that is revolutionizing the way pre-sale residential offerings are presented to homebuyers.

First-in-BC technology delivers new experience for homebuyers at James Bay's Capital Park Residences

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Tigger

Tigger
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

I'm impressed with the quality of the presentation centre book, the writing is cluttered with your typical developer speak (e.g., living there will be inspiring and finally provide you with a sense of place, etc.). I live in an Abstract townhome, after years in a single story condo, and I do find I'll frequently need to scale 2 long flights of stairs to retrieve something I've forgotten (e.g., sunglasses in bedroom that I only realize when I'm getting into the car). How practical is it to spread your living area across 5 floors here? My mind goes straight to 'what will I leave in the master bedroom that I'll only realize once I'm at the car?' And the laundry is 3 flights of stairs from the master bedroom - another baffling design decision. I do like the idea of having a resting plateau with bathroom to assist with bringing groceries up from the car (why is THAT always my go-to example of domestic labour?). To design 5 floors without the option of an elevator is a significant oversight. I also don't appreciate that it's difficult to learn about room dimensions....I see the cars are parked in tandem, meaning the building is probably less than 17 feet wide. 

I think the 5-floor concept is a deterrent, and the prices are ambitious. 

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 10.27.29 AM.png

• songheesguy likes this

#23 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

Well at least the townhome are concrete :)

I am impressed with the development but as an investor I'll have to pass on buying a pre-sale here personally. Prices are geared towards the owner-occupier and in-line with Bellewood Park. At least everything is concrete....can't imagine paying $1,000 a foot for wood.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#24 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:18 AM

Strictly speaking, the Mezzanine is not really a "floor", it occupies the space between the garage and the ground floor. But it does look a bit rough for those not at peak health.

#25 Tigger

Tigger
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:24 AM

Correct, I should have said "flights of stairs" to avoid this confusion.

Strictly speaking, the Mezzanine is not really a "floor", it occupies the space between the garage and the ground floor. But it does look a bit rough for those not at peak health.

#26 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

When I lived in Chicago I knew the former owners of a row house (19th century unreinforced masonry) that had over 90 interior steps. At least they didn’t have to pay a monthly strata fee as it was a freehold/attached home not part of a strata/townhouse complex.

#27 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

c1-1106-capitalpark3-jpg.jpg

Construction is starting on the new Capital Park Residences at a six-acre, mixed-use James Bay project.

“It’s the last piece of the puzzle,” said Brian McCauley, president and chief executive of Concert Properties, which is partnering with Jawl Properties in developing the $250-million multi-phased project behind the legislature.

A total of 113 homes are expected to be finished in late 2020 or early 2021, McCauley said. Condominiums will be developed in five-storey and four-storey buildings, and seven townhouses are also planned.

Condominium prices range from $499,900 to $1.09 million. They will be 485 square feet to 1,759 square feet. Townhomes start at $1.489 million, and range from 1,451 to 1,757 square feet.

A presentation centre is set up at 665 Douglas St. Vancouver-based Concert and Jawl Properties of Victoria bought the site, bordered by Superior, Menzies and Michigan streets, in 2014 for $34 million when the province was selling land to balance its books.

At that time, the property was used for parking lots and held some older buildings, including out-dated provincial offices.

https://www.timescol...ject-1.23488141

#28 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

Wow, great rendering. Something like this would look great on the wharf st parking lots
  • thundergun, Mattjvd and tjv like this

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

That ground floor retail space looks like an Apple Store, doesn't it?

(it won't be, but it's of that caliber)

• songheesguy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

That ground floor retail space looks like an Apple Store, doesn't it?...

It's another over-hyped and underwhelming Good Earth Cafe.  :mellow:

#31 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

more renderings from the website.

Scene5.jpg

Scene5_02_final.jpg

Scene7.jpg

townhome-back.jpg

I still don't like this bit. why did they put that notch there rather than continue the frontage along michigan st?
Rendering-Scene3_final2.jpg

TH.jpg

Scene1.jpg

Site-Plan_Final.jpg

http://capitalparkvi...com/residences/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 06 November 2018 - 10:19 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:58 AM

Needs more "giant house" details.  ;)

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:06 AM

Hmmm. Seems odd that all of those awful old highrises would be featured in a promotional image. Everybody knows those awful old highrises are destroyers of neighbourhoods, destroyers of worlds, right?

Scene5.jpg

• Nparker, Bob Fugger and grantpalin like this

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:07 AM

An uninterrupted wall, some might say.

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

...Everybody knows those awful old highrises are destroyers of neighbourhoods, destroyers of worlds, right?

The James Bay highrises are so terrible that no one has ever lived in them and they have sat empty for 50 years - right?

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:26 AM

In general it looks really good and quite unique. Considering how everything in this development is getting built at pretty much the same moment, there's nevertheless a wide range of forms and styles. But why oh why is the design of the residential building so ultra-conservative and seemingly truncated facing in the direction of the square? If the shorter buildings aren't bland and truncated, why should the tallest building be so (on its north side, I mean)?

Also, do we know what the exterior of that taller building will be like on the square side? Hopefully not just painted concrete?

Edited by aastra, 06 November 2018 - 10:29 AM.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

Their concept for the site was really on the mark. I just think the tallest residential building should have been more distinguished. Dare I say, stately.

#38 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

The James Bay highrises are so terrible that no one has ever lived in them and they have sat empty for 50 years - right?

I used to live in the Goodacre buildings, before I went back to uni and had to downsize. They were most certainly populated, at least between 2004-2010. They were pretty dated inside back then, but have apparently been overhauled since. I wouldn't mind living there again - the location was excellent, as was my view of the park - but the price has gone up considerably following the updates.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#39 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:27 AM

How are sales at this project...?

#40 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:42 PM

I'm stumped by the floorplan here, or just how the mezzanine level fits into the other levels.

Can anyone explain where the stairwell seen at the top-right of the mezzanine level connects to? I don't see it going to either the garage or first floor level.

post-2321-0-52220700-1538242100.png

Here's a less blurry version - https://d2kcmk0r62r1...h_2-3-5-6_1.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users