Photo

Trapped soccer team found alive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

A governor in Thailand says rescue divers have found a soccer team of 12 boys and their coach alive more than a week after the group went missing in a cave.

Thai Navy SEALs released a video on Facebook showing the moment rescuers first found the team.

In the five-minute video, the boys are quiet as they sit on their haunches, legs bent in front of them.

They are clad in the uniforms they apparently were wearing on the morning they disappeared in the cave.

"You are very strong," one of the rescuers says to them in English.

One of them asks what day it is, and the rescuer responds, "Monday. Monday. You have been here 10 days."

https://www.cbsnews....eam-2018-07-02/

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

But now they must learn how to SCUBA dive or wait months for rescue.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

Four boys have been rescued. 

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

Eight rescued so far.

https://www.cnn.com/...intl/index.html

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,555 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

And the first fatality: former Thai navy diver lost consciousness after running out of oxygen while resupplying the route with air tanks and could not be revived.

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:34 AM

They're all out.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#7 Wayne

Wayne
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Has been a great story. Amazing rescue effort. Sad about the one fatality.

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

Great news.

Meanwhile, a ferry capsized in southern Thailand with dozens dead and missing last Thursday and hardly anyone noticed.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#9 mbjj

mbjj
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

I heard about the ferry, so sad. Meanwhile, the thought of escaping a water-filled cave in darkness makes me panic while sitting on my couch! I can't imagine it.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:45 AM

I can't figure out what was going through Elon Musk's mind. He came up with this plan to shuttle the kids out using a repurposed rocket engine like a scene out of Airport '77 but from what I've read the layout of the caves was reported in the media right away; that there are twists and turns and tiny gaps to squeeze through. And it's not like the kids discovered these caves, they were well known attractions in the area. So why he thought a giant tube could make its way in there is baffling. 

#11 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

I can't figure out what was going through Elon Musk's mind. He came up with this plan to shuttle the kids out using a repurposed rocket engine like a scene out of Airport '77 but from what I've read the layout of the caves was reported in the media right away; that there are twists and turns and tiny gaps to squeeze through. And it's not like the kids discovered these caves, they were well known attractions in the area. So why he thought a giant tube could make its way in there is baffling. 

I was made from the rocket tubes (actually the fuel tank I believe?), but it certainly wasn't the size of them. It's about 6 feet long, just wide enough for your shoulders, and would have trouble fitting an adult in it. It turned out to be easier to train the kids and have them swim/hike/be carried out. But if one was injured/ill to the point they couldn't move under their own power it would probably be useful.

https://www.washingt...m=.5c9bc2610bf4

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:34 AM

OK, apparently one of the rescue officials thought it was worth pursuing but still, clearly it could only get in so far before hitting one of those hairpin twists.

https://i.redd.it/l5cdo36ns4911.jpg

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,287 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

The coach disregarded all of the warning signs stating that monsoon season was no time to enter that cave and he unnecessarily put all those kids at risk. What the heck was he thinking?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

^As I understand it, official monsoon season was still a couple of weeks away but obviously Mother Nature does not hew to the calendar. 

I was in Thailand once in the Spring, well before monsoon season and still the sudden overwhelming rainstorms were far more intense than anything I've experienced in Victoria.

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

A publicity stunt.

I can see that dang thing getting stuck in one of the tight passages then no one could get in or out then you send in the navy seals to blow it up and the whole cave collapses.

Musk is not Red Green or John Cleese and needs to stick with building cars.

#16 SimonH

SimonH
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

Whats wrong with Musk ? He turned up unannounced at the cave and was told to bugger off and now he's ranting on Twitter with baseless claims. 

https://www.theguard...ue-pedo-twitter

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,672 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

Seems to have Trump disease.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,287 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Lol...

IMG_8997.JPG

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 jonny

jonny
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

I've been trying to tell you guys Tesla and Elon are trash...

#20 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

I have to admit, that despite being a long time fan of Musk and Tesla ... this latest gaff where he called a cave rescuer a "pedo" just because the guy slagged Musk's mini-sub on the internet leaves Musk looking like a red-neck fool who can't stand being criticized about anything, even if it has nothing to do with him (kind of like a cave rescue in Thailand ultimately has nothing at all to do with Musk).

Musk has lost a lot of credibility, and I doubt I'd ever respect the guy again after reading what he wrote about a man whose efforts helped save the kids ... and about whom he knows nothing at all.

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.