Canada vs. Saudi Arabia

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

Making headlines are a since deleted series of social media posts from a Saudi “technology” organization that depicted an Air Canada jet flying into the CN Tower along with the phrase “As the Arab saying goes: ‘He who interferes with what doesn’t concern him finds what doesn’t please him.”

The posts were allegedly made following Canada’s official response to the jailing of rights activists by the Kingdom, a move that saw Saudi Arabia call back its envoy to Canada, issue a request for Saudi students in Canada to return to the country and declare the Canadian ambassador as a persona non grata. Saudi officials are also halting all trade related talks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

I'm glad they're the ones burning the bridge, spares us the debate next year as to why we're selling our best military gear to an Islamofascist regime with an ideology strikingly similar to that of ISIS. Too bad the US will pick up the vacuum we'll leave behind on the double, but at least this is a great opportunity to get out of sponsoring a quasi-terrorist country.

• Baro likes this

#3 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

Making headlines are a since deleted series of social media posts from a Saudi “technology” organization that depicted an Air Canada jet flying into the CN Tower along with the phrase “As the Arab saying goes: ‘He who interferes with what doesn’t concern him finds what doesn’t please him.”

The posts were allegedly made following Canada’s official response to the jailing of rights activists by the Kingdom, a move that saw Saudi Arabia call back its envoy to Canada, issue a request for Saudi students in Canada to return to the country and declare the Canadian ambassador as a persona non grata. Saudi officials are also halting all trade related talks.

The same account apologized soon after, in both French and English.

#4 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 5,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

Apologies really do not mean much now a days. More an obligation than an actual indication of any sorrow.
  • rjag, jonny and Love the rock like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

Apologies really do not mean much now a days. More an obligation than an actual indication of any sorrow.

The image of a plane near the CN Tower does not mean much either – which is why this isn’t really much of a story. Likewise, when ISIS “takes responsibility” for a shooting, a healthy amount of skepticism is in order.

The real story here is human rights and what nations do about them.
  • RoadRunner likes this

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:49 AM

The image of a plane near the CN Tower does not mean much either – which is why this isn’t really much of a story. Likewise, when ISIS “takes responsibility” for a shooting, a healthy amount of skepticism is in order.

The real story here is human rights and what nations do about them.

You didn’t hear in an edited follow-up they removed the image of the plane? Seems peculiar to remove what is an innocuous object, doesn’t it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 rjag

rjag
  • 3,820 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:00 AM

Interesting to note that Palestine has come out in support of Saudi....how will the left wing BDS movement square that circle?

• jonny likes this

#8 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:06 AM

You didn’t hear in an edited follow-up they removed the image of the plane? Seems peculiar to remove what is an innocuous object, doesn’t it?

Actually I saw it for myself, when I checked out the account directly. It’s all very peculiar, including the apology, but I just don’t think it’s significant. I’m much, much more concerned about the breakdown in diplomatic relations.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

It’s a state-run account, for gosh sakes (or “was;” it looks like it’s been taken down).

How much more significance does one need when presented by an official Twitter account of a government-sanctioned/supported/whatever organization threatening a country by penning cryptic words accompanied by an image of Canada’s flag carrier careening for one of the nation’s largest landmarks?

But hey, maybe you’re right. They apologized for the veiled threat in Canada’s two official languages so we can relax.

Know it all.

#10 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Yes, the account was taken down, purportedly by the state. I’d guess they’re not very happy about it either.

#11 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

Saudi is one of the most barbaric countries on earth ... I've always been amazed at how the west sucks up to them (yes, yes ... I know "oil") in light of their incredibly oppressive views on almost everything.

I'd not care one bit if Canada broke diplomatic ties with them for good.

Let them see if they can defend themselves against Iran without the support of the West (Europe, U.S., etc).

They started out as a bunch of waring tribes killing each other every chance they got, were then brought (barely) together by old man Ibn ... they're certainly not much different as a people today.

• jonny likes this

#12 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

-removed-

Edited by Benezet, 06 August 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

Who cares? Screw 'em. We're a G7 economic superpower for heaven's sakes. Bye bye Saudi Arabia. Take your students back with you.

There are plenty of other people from plenty of better countries that we should be doing business with instead.
  • nerka and Cassidy like this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

Wow. This is how pathetic their reasoning is behind the depiction of a downward-angled Air Canada jet squarely destined for the CN Tower:

“The aircraft was intended to symbolize the return of the ambassador. We realize this was not clear and any other meaning was unintentional."

These folks couldn’t lie their way out of a wet paper bag...
  • jonny and Cassidy like this

Know it all.

#15 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

These folks couldn’t lie their way out of a wet paper bag...

Indeed. But, you know it’s (reportedly) just a bunch of kids, right?

‘A website affiliated with the social media accounts describes it as a “voluntary non-profit project” that is “managed by a group of Saudi youth.”‘ (WP)

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:41 PM

It’s a proganda tool.

This isn’t Mrs. Smith’s grade 12 social media project.
  • sdwright.vic and Cassidy like this

Know it all.

#17 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:18 PM

Not sure why Canada is being singled out - surely most European nations have made similar human rights comments?  Maybe Europe should refuse to accept any new Saudi students and better yet get their oil from elsewhere. 

Ah, I see why Saudi Arabia is singling out Canada, to threaten others.

If I'm reading this World Bank info right, we account for only 0.03% of all their exports.

• rjag and SgtNeonPanda like this

#18 Greg

Greg
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

So nice that the Americans aren't taking sides -- “Canada and Saudi Arabia are both close allies of the United States. I refer you to the Canadian and Saudi Ministries of Foreign Affairs for further information.”

https://www.huffingt...4b0fd5c73dc60f0

Good people on both sides, I assume.

• nerka likes this

#19 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,268 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

Wanna score some brownie points with almost everyone, Trudeau? Ban Saudi oil imports (heck, ban all oil imports, we have plenty of our own).

• jonny likes this

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

Ain't no ally going to back Canada in this, we're too unimportant fiscally speaking. So I'm presuming we will now stop trading with China, Pakistan and India among others to push our SJW missionary position. It worked real well with NAFTA. We have morons running the country, the province and the COV, until they are all gone we are done for. 

Oh, and just as a side note did you notice that the CUPE pension plan is 347Billion in arrears. Good times. 

• Mike K., rjag and jonny like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.