Canada vs. Saudi Arabia

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#21 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

Oh, and just as a side note did you notice that the CUPE pension plan is 347Billion in arrears. Good times. 

Sorry, what? do you mean millions? Source?

#22 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

No it was Billions and it was on the CKNW business report this morning.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 442 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

Ain't no ally going to back Canada in this, we're too unimportant fiscally speaking. So I'm presuming we will now stop trading with China, Pakistan and India among others to push our SJW missionary position. It worked real well with NAFTA. We have morons running the country, the province and the COV, until they are all gone we are done for. 

The Saudis are the leading exporter of extremist ideology, which along with immigration from Muslim countries has led to fundamental shifts in politics across the West. Not to mention the catastrophic war in Yemen that has all but razed the country. It's hardly "idiotic" or "SJW" to stand up to them for once considering the sheer damage they have wrought upon the world.

#24 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

I think you must have misheard something. I can't find anything on Global's site.

347 Billion in arrears makes no sense.

The BC municipal pension for example has a total asset value of about 56 billion and is over 100% funded. I suspect that is one of the largest in BC. Teachers are another big one, and is also fully funded.

Maybe a mod can move this spin off somewhere better if it goes somewhere... 

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

The Saudi-Canadian tensions

Expanded in scope and dimensions

And shortly a squad
Of bots from Riyadh

Was ravaging Canada’s mentions.

• Mike K., sebberry, lanforod and 1 other like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#26 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:08 PM

Oh, and just as a side note did you notice that the CUPE pension plan is 347Billion in arrears. Good times. 

I'm pretty sure BC Pensions is doing just fine....not that I will benefit 

Using those numbers, considering the BC civil service is 26,000 strong, everyone gets $13,300,000 at retirement.  Good Times!

#27 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

Using those numbers, considering the BC civil service is 26,000 strong, everyone gets $13,300,000 at retirement.  Good Times!

You get out of here with your applying critical thinking to things.   

• jonny and On the Level like this

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:19 AM

Ain't no ally going to back Canada in this, we're too unimportant fiscally speaking. So I'm presuming we will now stop trading with China, Pakistan and India among others to push our SJW missionary position. It worked real well with NAFTA. We have morons running the country, the province and the COV, until they are all gone we are done for. 

Anyone who has spent any time overseas will tell you that many cultures are very different to ours. The liberals and the elite do a very good job of recognizing that when it suits them. Need to buy some armoured vehicles then we can look past the genocide. Some prince offers a million bucks to a pop star for a private wedding performance then it is too bad that the staff working the event will be slaves. Invest in a formula one event then the same sponsors who dumped xxx for allegedly looking the wrong way at a woman will turned a blind eye to women being sexually mutilated. 

As LJ points out, I don't have an issue with someone taking a principled position and standing on it. What gets me is the absolute hypocrisy of those in power picking and choosing what issues they can leverage for their own personal gain.

#29 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:22 AM

Anyone who has spent any time overseas will tell you that many cultures are very different to ours. 

The Saudi's have received a lot of milage out of that little nugget over the decades.

Indeed it is a different culture ... one where the citizens gather in large numbers in city squares to watch the government chop some poor souls head off ... in 2018.

Or beat some poor women half to death for being caught outside without her fathers/husbands permission.

Or bury some women/man up to their neck in dirt and throw stones at their heads until they're dead.

Yeah ... it's a "different" culture alright - one of the most sadistic and brutal in the world, one which they don't hesitate to perpetrate on other countries if they perceive the need to do so (see Yemen for a current example).

The Saudi's live a brutal, tribalistic, misogynistic existence ... and the world sucks up to them for their oil.

I admire Canada's stand on this issue, and hope the Trudeau government doesn't back down, or in any way diminish the original message they sent to Saudi.

They are a country that doesn't deserve (or apparently want) Canadian friendship ... and appropriately, we're now on record as being completely unsupportive of Saudi political methods and machinations.

• Hotel Mike, jonny and nerka like this

#30 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

The image of a plane near the CN Tower does not mean much either...

Ummmm, there's absolutely no defending this. The insinuation is obvious. 

2018-08-07 09_35_59-With echoes of 9_11, pro-government Saudi Twitter account posts image of plane f.png

• sebberry likes this

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,347 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

Looking through that “youth group’s” earlier infographics I’ve come to the conclusion that the KSA has the world’s most talented, Photoshop and visual design-savvy children. They’re also acutely politically aware and have an incredible knack for the English and French languages. And they’re volunteers!
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:16 AM

Looking through that “youth group’s” earlier infographics I’ve come to the conclusion that the KSA has the world’s most talented, Photoshop and visual design-savvy children. They’re also acutely politically aware and have an incredible knack for the English and French languages. And they’re volunteers!

If only our millennials had the same work ethic eh?

• jonny likes this

#33 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

If only our millennials had the same work ethic eh?

Hey, some of us are millenials! This non-inclusive hate speech will not be tolerated! 

Now, what was I doing? Meh, lunch time I guess. Wonder what's going on with the sports...

• Hotel Mike likes this

#34 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 5,944 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:27 AM

As LJ points out, I don't have an issue with someone taking a principled position and standing on it. What gets me is the absolute hypocrisy of those in power picking and choosing what issues they can leverage for their own personal gain.

But that's any political party.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

Interesting dynamic.....on the one hand we have Saudi upset with us "meddling" in their internal affairs while they engage in active offensive military operations against their neighbor, Yemen. Uh-huh.

OTOH - and while we can all agree SA is a draconian society in many, many respects, bordering on the outright medieval in others - can someone please point me in the direction of our official GoC tweets decrying the governments of:

Russia,

China,

North Korea,

Turkey (a NATO ally no less!),

Yemen (ironic given their current issues with the Saudis....),

Cuba (a major tourist destination for many Canadians in spite of rights violations all over the map including the mass imprisonment of government opponents not to mention the muzzling of the mass media ...hmmm)

Indonesia (which will execute people simply for breathing too heavily...)

....................not to mention half or more of the regimes in Africa, any or all of which engage in flagrant violations of human rights to varying degrees of extremism? China after all was the source of that lovely aphorism that prisoners of the state frequently suffer from "the nine millimeter headache" which ain't a reference to aspirin.......

Interesting political side-bar: the federal Liberals are flagging badly in Ontario in recent polls and yet if this confrontation goes 'full metal jacket' in terms of sanctions in all likelihood it will be workers in Ontario that suffer the most given one of our biggest contracts involves the General Dynamics production facility that is slated to export over 900 light armored vehicles to SA. General Dynamics BTW has over 500 Canadian (mostly Ontario-based) subcontracted firms in Canada that depend on them to varying degrees. 

• LJ and Wayne like this

#36 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

Human rights is a very common sticking point in all kinds of negotiation for Canada including trade deals. This is hardly unique.

What’s different this time is the outsized response. Usually a relatively mild tweet would just be ignored by the other country.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

Eastern Canada refineries import about 80,00 barrels of crude from KSA every day. 

Why isn't Trudeau pushing the energy east pipeline so we could stop importing foreign oil?

• jonny likes this

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

It wasn't BC pensions it was Federal. I sure wish I had listened more closely because I cannot find any reference to that figure anywhere. I know I heard it but I may have missed something accompanying it. I have sent an e-mail to CKNW asking them for more information.

#39 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

Meh....15 years of Saudi Arabia's implementation of "‘Saudization" has been a flop.  Companies will bring a Saudi on staff to meet the ratio but they don't participate at work.  There are few in society with the education, and better yet, experience, capable of many jobs.  Saudi's recall of of there students is self defeating.  

#40 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:09 AM

Human rights is a very common sticking point in all kinds of negotiation for Canada including trade deals. This is hardly unique.

What’s different this time is the outsized response. Usually a relatively mild tweet would just be ignored by the other country.

Only when it suits us. You think that the UAE or Qatar are any different than SA when it comes to human rights? Nonetheless the political class and elites line up to travel to the shopping an social hotspots. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.