Photo

Canada vs. Saudi Arabia

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Baro

Baro
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

Musk's been very public about his terrible views for years, I don't know why people are just catching on now.  Did people think just because he was hawking electric cars that made him some sort of progressive beacon?

• jonny and pennymurphy2000 like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

Yes, that’s exactly what they thought and continue to think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 nagel

nagel
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

Don't agree.  There's been an anti-Musk tone to urban-focused tweets for over a year at least.  Flooding the road with electric cars really isn't the solution these types are looking for.  Couple that with Musk's attacks on transit, and yeah, he's not well liked by what I'd call "progressives".

• Baro likes this

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

That has more to do with the current cost of his vehicles than anything else. They’re still viewed as cars of the bourgeois.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

Don't agree.  There's been an anti-Musk tone to urban-focused tweets for over a year at least.  Flooding the road with electric cars really isn't the solution these types are looking for.  Couple that with Musk's attacks on transit, and yeah, he's not well liked by what I'd call "progressives".

Musk has roughly equally donated to both democrats and republicans. He calls himself a moderate and is registered as an independent. Leans conservative on some issues and progressive on others.

#86 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

I no longer like or admire Musk after his "pedo" dig at one of the rescuers of the boys in the flooded cave (among his many other comments and/or actions recently) ... but I'd be lying through my teeth if I didn't say I crave a Tesla more than any other powered vehicle!

A Tesla model "S" for me please ... and thank-you!

• Baro likes this

#87 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

Saudi Arabia condemns Canada’s appalling human rights record of selling arms to Saudi Arabia

https://www.thebeave...o-saudi-arabia/

• jonny likes this

#88 LJ

LJ
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Musk has roughly equally donated to both democrats and republicans. He calls himself a moderate and is registered as an independent. Leans conservative on some issues and progressive on others.

Conservative and progressive are not mutually exclusive terms.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#89 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 9,834 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

I doubt that it was a coincidence that Netflix Canada released "A Hologram for the King" very recently. An interesting whymsical insight into life in Saudi Arabia.

My favourite line..."We don't have unions....we have Philipinos." 

Worth a peek. 

"

#90 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

Conservative and progressive are not mutually exclusive terms.

Good point, perhaps I could have phased that differently. He has some views on current issues, policies, and ideologies about the scope of government that could be described as left of centre and some that could be described as leaning right.

#91 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:06 PM

Not surprisingly, this whole thing did not start with a tweet.

“In fact, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland took to Twitter earlier this month to criticize the Saudi government's treatment of the Badawi family only after nearly three years of quiet diplomacy had failed to win his freedom and after the Saudis suddenly escalated the situation by arresting Badawi's sister, Samar.“

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eland-1.4785075
  • Mike K. and sebberry like this

#92 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 9,834 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

^ Wow that is a very informative article. Thanks for that Benezet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.