Photo

Canada vs. Saudi Arabia

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 N E Body

N E Body
  • 218 posts

Posted Today, 09:33 AM

Because the government should never work for the people.

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,478 posts

Posted Today, 09:35 AM

Screw the government. You're your own person who makes his or her own choices.

Don't like how the feds handled themselves? Make it an issue in the next election, but if the Saudi affair is a top priority for you now then do something about it other than expressing an opinion on the Internet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Greg

Greg
  • 1,487 posts

Posted Today, 09:36 AM

I think if we're being honest with ourselves the above could be borrowed as an explanation for a great deal of the sentiment we see expressed towards the current administration.

So while Canada gets a humble pass by drawing from a multi-syllable lexicon in its hastily put together and thinly veiled friendly jab at the Saudi's, the Americans are mocked and ridiculed via brain-twisting editorials for stating simple truths in simple terms.

So, since the Canadians didn't get the same scorn, and because other administrations acted in the same manner, then everyone gets a pass? It's all okay?

Maybe the Canadians have been let off the hook a bit because it was a Washington Post reporter, not a Globe and Mail reporter, and an American permanent resident, not a Canadian permanent resident. Also, Trudeau hasn't spent the last two years describing a free press as "enemies of the people." I think maybe it is not a perfect comparison.

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,478 posts

Posted Today, 09:40 AM

The point is western society talks a big talk but it is unwilling to give up on Saudi oil and armament purchases.

Whatever the layers of the polit-speak cakes are made of is ultimately irrelevant if the only thing individuals actually do is get enraged by triggers relating to political personalities ...and their angst ends there.

Want to make a difference? Stop refuelling your car with Saudi oil and stop buying groceries delivered by a Saudi oil-filled truck. You can do those things.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 N E Body

N E Body
  • 218 posts

Posted Today, 09:46 AM

Maybe the Canadians have been let off the hook a bit because it was a Washington Post reporter, not a Globe and Mail reporter, and an American permanent resident, not a Canadian permanent resident. Also, Trudeau hasn't spent the last two years describing a free press as "enemies of the people." I think maybe it is not a perfect comparison.

Was that a slip?   :lol:

#146 N E Body

N E Body
  • 218 posts

Posted Today, 09:54 AM

The point is western society talks a big talk but it is unwilling to give up on Saudi oil and armament purchases.

Whatever the layers of the polit-speak cakes are made of is ultimately irrelevant if the only thing individuals actually do is get enraged by triggers relating to political personalities ...and their angst ends there.

Want to make a difference? Stop refuelling your car with Saudi oil and stop buying groceries delivered by a Saudi oil-filled truck. You can do those things.

This would require everyone to understand the issue and to care... but... if people aren't even capable of understanding a FPTP/PR ballot, what hope do we have.

#147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,478 posts

Posted Today, 09:57 AM

And there's the rub, right? Society at-large doesn't particularly mind cheap oil from the turbulent Middle East and Nike kicks made out of Saudi-supplied petrochemical byproducts.

Know it all.

#148 N E Body

N E Body
  • 218 posts

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

... but it doesn't make it right.

And, btw, it aint DT's personality that rubs me the wrong way. I've been on this planet long enough to have witnessed every President from Eisenhower to Trump. Even Kennedy pissed me off to some extent. Nixon was a disgrace. I've got words for all of them... but... this new guy... a whole new ball of wax.

• Mike K. likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

North Shore

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.