Photo

Found Photo - please help me locate the owner(s)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CrystalF

CrystalF
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

Do you know these people or the owner of this photo? I found this photo on a shelf with books about quilting. It seemed out of place and I would love to find the owner. 

Attached Images

• Photo (front and back)_Page_1.jpg
  • Photo (front and back)_Page_2.jpg

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,708 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Hi Crystal! We'll put the word out through our social media channels, too!

Welcome to VV.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Wayne

Wayne
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:30 PM

Based on my very limited (non) detective work I would guess it is not a local photo.

Based on the foundation of the building, the structure is built for extreme climate seasonal change.

The landscape does resemble an harsh growth environment, could be tundra.

Based on that and the participants of the photo, it was taken north of BC.

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,333 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:31 PM

I say 1962 vintage.

#5 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:55 AM

If positing ... I might suggest that the gentlemen is the sculptor of the piece they're holding, and the lady is likely either the end purchaser ... or more likely is an art buyer for a gallery somewhere in the southern portion of Canada.

Art Galleries selling Inuit and other northern art in the southern portion of the country very often have "buyers" who visit their suppliers at their home base in the North to purchase items for their galleries shelves.

• Mike K. likes this

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:50 AM

Definitely looks early sixties. This was near the start of the popularity of Inuit art down south when artists started using larger soapstone instead of rare ivory.  But no variation on that name appears on this list of major historical Inuit artists. The people who might help would be art historian Kerry Mason at UVic and Elaine Monds at the Alcheringa Gallery on Fort.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#7 allstonj

allstonj
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

Definitely looks early sixties. This was near the start of the popularity of Inuit art down south when artists started using larger soapstone instead of rare ivory.  But no variation on that name appears on this list of major historical Inuit artists. The people who might help would be art historian Kerry Mason at UVic and Elaine Monds at the Alcheringa Gallery on Fort.

You could also try the Winnipeg Art Gallery. They have an extensive collection and full time curator for it.

https://www.wag.ca/a...tions/inuit-art

#8 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

Does the inscription read:

Peeu Ingitoo and guess who?

And then a womens name ... possibly Lynn?

I wonder if the 78 is possibly the year of the photo? ... that leather vest certainly fits 1978. (but most folks would write '78 rather than just 78).

#9 jaylow

jaylow
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

Do you know these people or the owner of this photo? I found this photo on a shelf with books about quilting. It seemed out of place and I would love to find the owner. 

you could try asking Paul Seesequasis on twitter to help out, He has a project going on this type of thing

www.twitter.com/paulseesequasis

• Mike K., Rob Randall and David Bratzer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.