Photo

Moving to Victoria - Ask Your Questions Here.

• Please log in to reply
681 replies to this topic

#1 Philostone

Philostone
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

Greetings All,

I am new to this forum, and and I have been thinking of relocating from Ottawa, Ontario to Victoria, BC. I have visited once, and loved my stay here, but I have been considering finding work , and living in Victoria, BC as a permanent resident.

I am interested to know how the job market is in Victoria, BC, as well as the cost of living such as food expense, 1 bed room apartment (etc).

I would appreciate any feed back from other forum members who live in this beautiful part of Canada. My goal is to get settled here by October 2011.
  • sstancin likes this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,217 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

Moderators. How many "Moving to Victoria" threads do we need? Can all the separate ones that exist be combined into one? Perhaps some sort of "front page note" could be added to tell new posters where to find the amalgamated thread? Thanks in advance. :)

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

We should consolidate all the info, write a book and distribute it through Kindle or something for a buck or two.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Philostone

Philostone
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

We should consolidate all the info, write a book and distribute it through Kindle or something for a buck or two.

I assume their is allot of people who are interested in moving to Victoria BC, and maybe a general topic in relocating to Victoria, BC may help organize things.

Moving to Victoria BC What to Know and how to do it sounds like a great title for a book people can buy for their kindle, but I am more interested in forum members providing me feed back on some of the questions I have posted, thanks for your support.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,154 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

^^^Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Philostone. What the previous members/posters are trying to say is that there is another thread titled "Moving to Victoria" that was started a short while ago.

Have a look there for some info.

#6 Philostone

Philostone
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Sparky I'll have to take a look and see. Since I am new to this forum, I am still trying to get familiar with it.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,154 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

^ You are very welcome.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

Perhaps some sort of "front page note" could be added to tell new posters where to find the amalgamated thread? Thanks in advance. :)

I'm all for amalgamation.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

we are full stay there...:D

#10 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Re-stock the piranhas in the moat, keep boiling oil ready and up the drawbridge.:D

#11 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

they got half of the bridge up !!

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,154 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

one hour ago

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

Boy, a comma would have saved me from having to read that three times.;)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

one hour ago

Is that a bridge in your pocket or are you happy to see me?:P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,154 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

^ Good one :)

#16 Philostone

Philostone
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like unwelcoming hospitality.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,361 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

Philostone, you'll need to be a little bit more specific on where you would like to live in order to help you figure out rental rates.

Keep in mind that Victoria's rental vacancy rate is one of the lowest in the nation and due to the high cost of real-estate, a one bedroom apartment in the core will likely go for $800 in an older apartment building and well in excess of $1000 for a rental in a condo. In fact you'll probably be paying $1200 for a decent (newer or brand new) one bedroom condo rental.

Your best bet might be renting a suite inside a house which you could get away with for much less than comparable apartment rentals. Many people have secondary suites as a means of helping pay off high mortgages.

When you say you're looking for work, what is it that you're looking for? Victoria lacks a lot of employment opportunities even for professionals. The job market is healthy here (meaning unemployment isn't high), but tight, if you know what I mean.

As for groceries, prepare to pay the country's highest grocery prices among Canadian cities. Victoria's groceries and other common goods tend to be priced higher due to the additional costs associated with delivery to the island by air or by ferry.
  • Laszlow likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

Boy, a comma would have saved me from having to read that three times.;)

Commas are important! Remember the wombat?
Eats roots, shoots and leaves or is it eats, roots, shoots and leaves?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,361 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

Moderators. How many "Moving to Victoria" threads do we need? Can all the separate ones that exist be combined into one? Perhaps some sort of "front page note" could be added to tell new posters where to find the amalgamated thread? Thanks in advance. :)

I gave this some thought and decided that it's probably best to have individual threads. Everyone's needs are different and it's much more beneficial for someone seeking answers from locals to not have to compete with several other individuals in a thread that could have wildly different living requirements or questions.

Maybe what can be done is after a series of questions are answered, the thread title could be changed to better reflect the content. Some people might find that useful, while others would still opt to just jump in and ask us for opinions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

I lifted this from Facebook. I don't know who made it:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.