Photo

Moving to Victoria - Ask Your Questions Here.

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#41 Quimbly

Quimbly
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the comments, so far. Much appreciated! Talking to Realtors, it seems there was definitely strong opinions that some school were considered "good schools" and others "bad", so I was concerned. Maybe the concern is unfounded?

I did some research on Colwood Elementary and it sounds fine. We drove by and it looks fine. Playground was quite dated. Small class sizes. Sounds decent, but wanted to see what others had to say.

Keep the opinions coming!

Thanks!

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,351 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

You might also want to talk to someone at School District 62 and see what they have to say about different schools and their unique programs or facilities.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the comments, so far. Much appreciated! Talking to Realtors, it seems there was definitely strong opinions that some school were considered "good schools" and others "bad", so I was concerned. Maybe the concern is unfounded?

Knowing how some realtors think, the good schools were likely closer to houses that were at the top end of your price range, whereas the there were likely fewer listings near the "bad" schools.

There is an annual academic ranking of BC schools that is searchable/comparable - but take it with a grain of salt, as it is commissioned by the Fraser Institute: http://britishcolumb...cationName.aspx. Public education is fairly consistent across the region, but if things like academic rankings worry you, Colwood Elementary is near the bottom.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

There is an annual academic ranking of BC schools that is searchable/comparable - but take it with a grain of salt, as it is commissioned by the Fraser Institute: http://britishcolumb...cationName.aspx. Public education is fairly consistent across the region, but if things like academic rankings worry you, Colwood Elementary is near the bottom.

Ya, that's a bit tough with smaller schools too. Colwood is based on the Grade 4 scores of all of 23 students. what if the 4th Grade teacher is lousy, but all the rest are great. She/he keeps bringing down the rating year after year.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Ya, that's a bit tough with smaller schools too. Colwood is based on the Grade 4 scores of all of 23 students. what if the 4th Grade teacher is lousy, but all the rest are great. She/he keeps bringing down the rating year after year.

Anything the Fraser Institute is against amounts to a recommendation for it in my book.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Anything the Fraser Institute is against amounts to a recommendation for it in my book.

That may be a bit extreme, but I love the Fraser Institute vs. Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives back and forth, and slant. Seriously, they should have a joint Christmas Party or an annual summer BBQ just to let the public really see some crazy stuff go down.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,747 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Agree the Fraser Institute is bunk. That people actually make decisions on their stuff is frightening.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#48 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,947 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Feel free to add the Rideau Institute to that list too.....

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Feel free to add the Rideau Institute to that list too.....

Yes, from wikipedia:

Their work has been used by a diverse range of organizations such as the Canadian Auto Workers, USC Canada, The Council of Canadians, CUPE, CEP, and public interest, citizen and labour organizations.

I don't see much diversity on that list.

#50 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

Hey neat - anything that the Centre for Policy Alternatives, the Victoria Labour Congress and my union is against amounts to a recommendation for it in my book!

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

OK I'm as or more than guilty than anyone else in this thread, let's move it back on track. I'm sorry.

This is about School District #62 schools.

#52 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

Quimbly, you might want to check out the on-line community at Kids in Victoria (kidsinvictoria.com). You'll find lots of discussions about schools.

#53 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

My one piece of advice, go meet with the principle and with the teacher with your child. Get your sense of where the best fit is.

I did this in 2004 when I moved to Victoria and the boys had two schools to choose from and chose the one further away.

#54 Oceaniis

Oceaniis
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

My kids went to Wishart-Dunsmuir & Belmont (the oldest graduated with honors and is on to Carleton despite the duct tape....)
I agree with the earlier post about walking to school, but if you have a child headed to kindergarten next fall you may want to consider walking to Sangster as the curriculum will be outdoor based; a brand new programme.
My husband and I are Westshore lifers, so may be a bit biased, but I still think our community produces pretty great kids.

#55 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,484 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Oceaniis.

#56 Danma

Danma
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi folks,

We're planning on making a move from Calgary to the Victoria area, and I was just wondering if there's anything we should know about Victoria for a new time resident?

We're looking for a townhouse or small house in the mid-300s, which, from what I've seen, suggests that we're going to end up somewhere in the Western Communities, such as a Langford townhouse.

I've had friends tell me that it's horrifically far from Victoria, etc. but coming from Calgary, a 13 km drive to downtown is half the distance of my current drive! :D Maybe that says more about Calgary than Victoria. In any case, I'm a telecommuting worker and a daily commute is a non-issue for me.

Anyways, wondering if you had any thoughts or, if you've done a similar move, whether there were things you really wished you knew when you come?

Thanks!

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,351 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

If you don't need to commute you'll be fine.

As for the distance between downtown and the westshore (Langford, Colwood), it really depends on where in those communities you live but 13km commuting distance from the west shore (Colwood or Langford) would be well below average. Expect most commutes into the downtown core to be closer to 20 kilometers when it's all said and done, and should you find yourself looking at a home in Sooke the commute will be around 40 kilometers.

Traffic on HWY 1 gets very congested heading east in the mornings (~7 - 9 ish) and again heading west in the afternoons (~3 - 6-ish). If you can avoid heading in those directions during peak periods you won't have any problems, particularly if you're used to a very auto-oriented environment that suburban Calgary is known for. But if you or your family ends up having to get to the city from the west shore in the mornings and then back in the afternoons you will find yourself dealing with more congestion that you may have bargained for.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,947 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Wlecome to VV Danma; I think Mike covered off the salient point about peak travel times to the West Shore although this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison IMO.

You are coming from a city of 1.3 million which is_very auto centric - I drive in Calgary every 6 weeks for work and am well acquainted with what you experience there; compared to a region with barely 350K with only 2 major highways fed by a series of arterial roads.

Although the commute to the west shore can be a pain, and is getting longer - no question - the volume of traffic pales in comparison to the typical morning commute on the McLeod Trail, or the Crowchild or the Deerfoot especially. Avoid the peak times noted above by Mike and you will be fine. I think one of the main things you'll need to get used to on the highways here is the lack of interchanges, particularly compared to Calgary and the number of lights/controlled intersections. This as much as anything is why traffic here backs up....

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,747 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Was talking to someone that had just moved here from Vancouver and they noted that they keep getting lost due to the lack of a true grid structure. Not sure if the same issue exists between Calgary and Victoria but make sure you have a map handy because roads do head of in strange directions.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#60 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Was talking to someone that had just moved here from Vancouver and they noted that they keep getting lost due to the lack of a true grid structure. Not sure if the same issue exists between Calgary and Victoria but make sure you have a map handy because roads do head of in strange directions.

I met Mrs. Fugger when she was doing a practicum here in Victoria, but she lived in Calgary at the time. As part of the wooing, I flew to Calgary periodically and got familiar with driving there - especially in the Northwest. It took me a couple of weekend trips to be able to navigate without a map.

It took Mrs. Fugger, on the other hand, over a year to figure out where things were in Victoria when she moved here. Her biggest complaint was that the streets system make no sense and her ability to navigate will be all memory-based.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users