Photo

Moving to Victoria - Ask Your Questions Here.

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#601 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

I lived Downtown for almost ten years, and I never experienced anything truly threatening. I'm not a big guy; at that time I weighed exactly the same as Michael Jackson's corpse (not kidding).

That being said, the only place I thought was sketchy and I had to have my guard up was around the Strath at closing time. A lot of alcohol and testosterone ready to combust. Stay away.

How long ago though? It has changed a LOT in just last few years in terms of the "street community" younger, more aggressive, more of a criminal element

#602 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

Well, let me say this.  I know Rob.  And while he's not a big guy weight wise, he imposes more a presence than you might think.  Us tall guys are like that.  No joking here.

I'd not be all that concerned, there are other targets.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#603 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

I'm still downtown every day. Not at night very often any more, though. So the situation might have worsened. I acknowledge the criminal element may be more emboldened. That's a fair comment.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#604 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

he imposes more a presence than you might think.  Us tall guys are like that. 

I'm not particularly tall. I'm not Mike short by any means but I'm no giant.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#605 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,426 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:48 AM

I'm still downtown every day. Not at night very often any more, though. So the situation might have worsened. I acknowledge the criminal element may be more emboldened. That's a fair comment.

Oh yeah, it’s sketchier now for sure. Ever since tent city came and went the situation has rapidly deteriorated.

My question is, once people start living at BlueSky and if the 900-block of Pandora condo project goes ahead, where will a big portion of the individuals who cluster in that area all day head off to? They’ll be dispersed without a doubt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#606 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

Boy am I glad I live in the suburbs after hearing these stories

#607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,426 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

I’d be more vigilant out that way too. Crime isn’t limited to the city and break and enters frequently occur in areas where people least expect them. Feeding a serious drug habit or paying drug debts requires drastic measures that an individual who operates with a moral compass would never consider, which blinds your average citizen to what can happen.

Be prepared, make it difficult to be a victim and don’t tolerate any weakness in your neighbourhood or community. Keep politicians accountable.
  • grantpalin and Love the rock like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#608 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

The element downtown has certainly worsened over the years. It used to be that you would see the same old, sad, but ultimately harmless, characters. Who, despite always having a can of Black Label in their mitts, were generally pretty clean and friendly. The regulars didn't leave behind a mess. 

The element has changed since tent city, for sure. There's zero doubt to that. 

I've only ever felt unsafe once, mind you (apparently I looked at a guy with more than a few screws loose and he followed me down Fort Street yelling obscenities and asking for a confrontation. Thankfully it was a busy day, and I was able to get lost in a bit of a crowd and duck inside Cactus Club). 

#609 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

When I built my house 2 years ago nothing went missing and we weren't chaining anything down expect maybe just covering saws with a tarp.  I am pretty confident that I could leave my house unlocked when I run to the store or whatever.  I don't even care about locking my cars in the driveway day or night.  Its a different world out here

I will admit if I am leaving for a few days or more I will text my neighbors that I am going away and they do the same if they are away, etc

One thing I have discovered over my lifetime is crooks are lazy, they want easy in and out, grab the small stuff worth money.

I looked at the crime map over the last 6 months for east Central Saanich and the only thing was one count of mischief under $5000 and that up in the "poor" area near the indian reserve

PS.  I hope we aren't frightening the heck out of our new resident.  Downtown Victoria isn't like downtown LA, NYC, Detroit or anything.  All we are saying is it has gotten worse over the years not better

Edited by tjv, 09 April 2018 - 10:11 AM.

#610 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,426 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

No suburban community is impervious to such crimes.

Know it all.

#611 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

My takeaway from living in downtown Victoria (near the epicentre of the 900 block of Pandora) basically since Helps took office has just been the general increase in how friggen dirty and noisy everything is.

I was 800-block of Johnson from late 2014 to early 2017, and now 1000-block of Johnson since then. Everything just seems to have gotten a lot...dirtier. Trash in doorways, random food on the streets and sidewalks, drug use leftovers...it's all increased significantly since 2014. Same with folks sleeping in doorways...a significant increase there too. Living and working all within the confines of the Fort/Blanshard/Pandora/Cook square, that's been my biggest takeaway in these last 3.5 years.

My gf and I are out and about at all hours of the day, whether it be walking to work, coming home from the Royals game or whatever else downtown we're at, walking the dogs in the early morning or late evenings. I have to say, we've been fortunate to never have felt unsafe by those living on the streets around us. Lots of yelling, for sure. Lots of odd behavior, absolutely. But never any physical confrontations. More often than not, the experiences have been positive (folks want a quick chat or pet of the dogs). But one thing is for sure if you live downtown. You will never be able to have a night with your windows open where you won't hear some sort of ear shattering shouting from someone on the street. And it's unfortunate, because it's at the point now where if I heard what was a legitimate cry for help, I probably wouldn't be able to tell it apart from the usual evening rantings.

To Rob's point earlier, the times I feel most unsafe downtown are at around 2:00 am walking near a bar that's unleashing it's load of testosterone ready to throw down with anyone who gives the wrong look.

• Baro and jonny like this

#612 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

A couple of weeks into working downtown, no problemo. I just pedal faster when I pass by Harris Green. Living experience coming soon!

• Mike K. likes this

#613 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,994 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

A couple of weeks into working downtown, no problemo. I just pedal faster when I pass by Harris Green. Living experience coming soon!

That said do keep your eyes open and be aware of who is around you at all times as trouble can appear in the blink of an eye; I started working downtown last September (Yates & Douglas) and got whacked/blindsided within a week by some pencil neck runt high on something at 4pm in the afternoon as I was heading for my bus.

The fact I was 3x his size and 6" taller made zero difference; the only thing that saved his skinny ass from being splattered all over the Bank of Montreal building was the fortuitous presence of two VicPD members engaged in a verbal altercation with some of his homies not 10 meters away, who then moved in to tackle him to the ground. The really big change I see vs 15-20 years ago is that the 'street element' is basically present now 7 x 24 - morning, noon and night - as opposed to in the past when most shenanigans typically occurred later at night and/or on weekends.....

• Sparky likes this

#614 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

That said do keep your eyes open and be aware of who is around you at all times as trouble can appear in the blink of an eye; I started working downtown last September (Yates & Douglas) and got whacked/blindsided within a week by some pencil neck runt high on something at 4pm in the afternoon as I was heading for my bus.

The fact I was 3x his size and 6" taller made zero difference; the only thing that saved his skinny ass from being splattered all over the Bank of Montreal building was the fortuitous presence of two VicPD members engaged in a verbal altercation with some of his homies not 10 meters away, who then moved in to tackle him to the ground. The really big change I see vs 15-20 years ago is that the 'street element' is basically present now 7 x 24 - morning, noon and night - as opposed to in the past when most shenanigans typically occurred later at night and/or on weekends.....

I do see "weird" behavior here and there outside of the obviously distressed. You know, randomly obstructing other pedestrians; being extremely obnoxious and rude; maintaining eye contact with you as they walk; etc. Every other day there's always one type who you wonder will do something stupid at that moment.

I'm very risk averse so when going places I keep a stone-cold face even if called out, keep my distance from anyone who I find remotely suspicious, and get my legs ready to run really fast at any point. I've seen a lot worse in other parts of the country (and outside; I digress) and I don't feel like I'm ever under risk. But if another stick-swinger shows up I'd rather be ready to get the **** out of there.

Edited by Casual Kev, 05 June 2018 - 09:38 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#615 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

Hi all. This seems like a site full of knowledgable people.

I'm a single 39 year old moving over from Burnaby with my 65 lb dog.  I like the slower, quieter feel of Victoria and am looking for a place to rent (maybe buy if I can find a great place under 400k).

I value pedestrian friendly, safe areas with lots of independent shops.  People have recommended Fernwood, Cook St Village, Vic West (dockside green, raillyards), and Quadra village to me.

Do you know of any well built, quiet (no footsteps above, no loud noise outside) buildings I can look into for renting? I'm hoping to spend between 1200 and 1700.

Thanks!

#616 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,426 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

You’re in good hands here, for sure.

Right off the bat stay away from Dockside. It’s situated next to an active shipyard and during business hours the work that goes on there can emit quite a lot of noise. This noise you’re also likely to hear from some units at the Bayview buildings.

I would recommend you try to get into a building in the Cook Street Village. This building https://victoria.cit...illage-212-220/ will be made available as rentals (supposedly completely sold to investors) by early 2019. If you’re looking for something more immediate you may have to wait a little as the rental market is very tight here.

James Bay is also a great area and has a lot of rental stock, but it’s all quite dated. There have been several modernizations of some of the buildings but again, with the market being so tight you may find it difficult to land a unit you’re happy with.

If you’d like to buy instead there are several pre-sales we can help you with that are in various stages of completion. Depending on your timeline that may be a great option for you and $400k is a decent budget.
  • 1vanguy likes this

Know it all.

#617 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

Thank you, Mike. Yes I'm looking for something in the very near future...but at the same time I don't have any deadline to move. How would one get on a rental waitlist for the Cook St building?

I'd think the newer buildings would do a good job of noise insulation around Dockside? Probably the most important thing is no noise from footsteps above.

If you do have any specific suggestions on buildings to buy that would be appreciated.

You’re in good hands here, for sure.

Right off the bat stay away from Dockside. It’s situated next to an active shipyard and during business hours the work that goes on there can emit quite a lot of noise. This noise you’re also likely to hear from some units at the Bayview buildings.

I would recommend you try to get into a building in the Cook Street Village. This building https://victoria.cit...illage-212-220/ will be made available as rentals (supposedly completely sold to investors) by early 2019. If you’re looking for something more immediate you may have to wait a little as the rental market is very tight here.

James Bay is also a great area and has a lot of rental stock, but it’s all quite dated. There have been several modernizations of some of the buildings but again, with the market being so tight you may find it difficult to land a unit you’re happy with.

If you’d like to buy instead there are several pre-sales we can help you with that are in various stages of completion. Depending on your timeline that may be a great option for you and $400k is a decent budget.

#618 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

By the way do you have any thoughts on the Astoria building downtown or the 1011 Burdett building? thanks 

#619 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,564 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

^ What Mike meant to say was welcome to VibrantVictoria 1vanguy. 

• AllseeingEye and 1vanguy like this

#620 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

I think my advise if you want to buy is to rent short term, get a feel for the area you want to live in before you buy.  Victoria is a lot cheaper than Vancouver, but its no where near cheap either

Cook St Village is a lot like Kits - lots of young to middle age people, very safe, walkable as well as Beacon Hill Park  (similar to Stanley Park) and Dallas Rd (basically a road 5 miles? long along the southern waterfront of the city with lots of places to run or play with your dog) are right there.

Fernwood - hip and a good place.  The area used to be a dump 20 years ago, but its changed and now there are a few good restaurants, a wine bar, coffee shops and a playhouse.  It has a small business area, but it is a fun place

Quadra Village - not sure about that area only because I haven't spent much time there in the last 20 years, it is ok I guess and has definitely cleaned up

I think it really depends where you want to be.  Some people like to live within walking distance to town, some people like to live a little bit out of town and drive in.  I live in the latter where a dog could run around all day unleashed and I am 20-25 min from downtown

Given the tight rental market the one issue you will have is people wanting to rent to you with a 65 lb dog.  Your rental budget is doable.  For 400k purchase you could find any average condo you wanted, and maybe some older townhouses too

Not sure what you do for a living, but we have a hot job market.

Edited by tjv, 16 August 2018 - 06:09 PM.

• 1vanguy likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users