Photo

Moving to Victoria - Ask Your Questions Here.

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#661 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

I just really think your options are going to be limited with a 65 lb dog, you won't have the luxury of being picky

• sdwright.vic likes this

#662 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,283 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

Oh it’s very tough with a larger dog.

Hudson Walk (towers 1 and 2) and Hudson Mews allow large dogs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#663 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

anyone have an opinion of living at 536 Herald St? the building in general?

#664 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

I know a few folks who live in that building, and the landlord is very good. You’ll enjoy it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#665 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

You are super plugged in to Victoria!

#666 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

Oh yeah, I get around.

I used to lease an office next to that building. Same landlord.

Know it all.

#667 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

Had a buddy who lived next door at 532 Herald (both buildings restored by Lefevre & Co). Beautiful building with awesome design touches. Just be acutely aware of how much money you'll end up spending at Jam if you choose to live in that block.  :P

• Mike K. likes this

#668 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:47 PM

How do you think heritage buildings like these that get seismic upgrades compare to newer condo buildings like the ones around Vic West--as far as earthquake safety goes?

Edited by 1vanguy, 05 September 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#669 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

These buildings tend to be upgraded to the point of ensuring you can safely leave the building. Beyond that it’s a crapshoot. But that also applies to modern buildings. In the event of a major quake chances are new and restored buildings may be uninhabitable for some period of time if at all.

Know it all.

#670 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

That's good to know...safety is what I'm interested in. By the way, any thoughts on the Aria building? Sorry for the all questions!

#671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:09 PM

The Aria is top notch. If you land a place there you’ll like it. But keep in mind it’s a ten year old building, so if you’re used to the latest interiors you might find some aspects a little dated.
  • jeffifah likes this

Know it all.

#672 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

These buildings tend to be upgraded to the point of ensuring you can safely leave the building. Beyond that it’s a crapshoot. But that also applies to modern buildings. In the event of a major quake chances are new and restored buildings may be uninhabitable for some period of time if at all.

That is basically all seismic engineering is.  There are no rules and regulations regarding the renovations of heritage buildings

#673 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

How is it living in the area of Quadra st near crystal pool?

#674 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

How is it living in the area of Quadra st near crystal pool?

I like it. I have lived a couple of blocks from the Crystal Pool now for nearly 20 years. North Park is a quirky neighbourhood, but I think it has potential for the future and is still relatively affordable if one is looking to buy.

#675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,283 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

It’s not bad. Definitely a far more culturally diverse part of town. I have friends living several houses down from the pool and they love it.

Know it all.

#676 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

Thanks about to view a rental. Quirky how so? How is the soil there for earthquakes? This would be in a renovated basement suite (they said it is a legal suite and they added shear walls) in a home originally built in 1911 but gutted and rebuilt four years ago.

#677 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,799 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:10 PM

Thanks about to view a rental. Quirky how so? How is the soil there for earthquakes? This would be in a renovated basement suite (they said it is a legal suite and they added shear walls) in a home originally built in 1911 but gutted and rebuilt four years ago.

1vanguy not trying to be obstinate but it seems like you have a real fear/phobia about earthquakes: our ENTIRE region along the west coast of BC comprises the Cascadia Subduction Zone - from here to California is one giant big ass earthquake zone with the power of about 1,000,0000 hydrogen bombs....

In the event that (Cascadia) fault lets go full bore it won't matter what the soil is composed of or where in the CRD you live. If we get slammed five ways from Sunday by an 8.0++ earthquake "soil" is going to be the least of your worries. It is true there are a few areas locally where the soil is more susceptible to an earthquake but if we get popped by the truly the Big One its like saying you prefer a bullet to the back of your head rather than having a nuclear weapon go off ten feet from you. The result either way will be the same.

The bigger issue, assuming you survive the actual event itself, would be the complete destruction of our infrastructure such as our roads, bridges and hospitals, most of which will be dust in the event of an earthquake of that magnitude. All authorities at every level have made it clear you need to have sufficient food and supplies on-hand to survive unaided by "government" for a minimum of 3 days, and more likely a week or more.

In the meantime since the likelihood of that earthquake happening 5 minutes from now or....never....can't be ascertained, you might as well focus on things within your control, consider what neighborhood amenities are important to you, what commute scenario you are willing to deal with on a daily basis, and above all figure out what you're going to do with that large dog of yours :). As someone mentioned above *that* is unquestionably going to be a major determining factor on where you live in Victoria.

• LJ and lanforod like this

#678 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:26 PM

[North park is] Quirky how so?...

As Mike K. alluded to above, North Park is "culturally diverse" and I'd add socially and economically diverse as well. You're certain to me a decent cross-section of humanity if you decide to make this part of the city your home. BTW we have no size limit on dogs in my condo/townhouse development - where about 40% of the 47 units are rented out at any given time.

#679 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:09 PM

As Mike K. alluded to above, North Park is "culturally diverse" and I'd add socially and economically diverse as well. You're certain to me a decent cross-section of humanity if you decide to make this part of the city your home. BTW we have no size limit on dogs in my condo/townhouse development - where about 40% of the 47 units are rented out at any given time.

Which development? Seems like a low occupancy rate?

#680 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

I am not sure what you mean by low occupancy rate. 40% are rented by owners, the rest are owner occupied.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users