Photo

Moving to Victoria - Ask Your Questions Here.

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#681 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

Oh okay. Which building?

#682 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

Park Place. 930 North Park Street.

#683 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,892 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

According to UHaul people are moving here. The article is pretty silly but the comments are awesome.

https://www.vicnews....eater-victoria/

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#684 aastra

aastra
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:40 PM

I think my biggest ever money mistake was not trademarking the phrase "Victoria sucks".

#685 aastra

aastra
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

Dude says he hated the rain in Victoria so he moved to... Chilliwack.

#686 aastra

aastra
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

My problem was the opposite. I found Victoria to be too dry. So I moved to Tucson.

What's with the people complaining about 1979, 15 years ago, etc.? Normally when you complain about a place you're supposed to say, "it used to be good, back in [insert good ol' days here]. But it seems like we're doing away with that convention now and jumping straight to "it always sucked."

#687 todd

todd
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:02 PM

Some people just don’t know how to do Victoria right.

#688 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,892 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:43 AM

Or we are all just stuck up snobs.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#689 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:47 AM

I find that most folks who disparage Victoria and those people that call Victoria home are simply naysayers who (for whatever reason) can't themselves remain here, or move here from elsewhere.

It's also a given that Canadians tend to retain a preference to the part of the country they grew up in.

• Winnipegers love the weeks (sometimes months) of deep blue sky and blazing sunshine they get in the (albeit freezing cold) winter.
  • Prince Edward Islanders never seem to lose their love of their Island, and (like Newfoundlanders) will tell you that's "their home" even if they've been living in Vancouver for the past 30 years.
  • Yukoners are always Yukoners, and most believe they have a "secret" from the remainder of Canada ... which, if you've ever spent time in Yukon ... they most definitely do.

And although born and raised Victorians may be getting sparse, those I meet who were born and raised here are warm, friendly, welcoming and outgoing. I find most newcomers to Victoria and surrounds are incredibly happy to be here, to experience life in a small part of the country where weather rarely plays a part in determining what you can, or can't do, and (though small) offers a "downtown" ripe with eateries, drinkeries, entertainment, shopping, and (compared to the rest of the world) clean and relatively safe streets.

Those who disparage Victoria are usually those who either can't move here (but secretly want to), or can't remain here (usually due to high cost of living) ... and are best described as bitter wannabe's.

There are lots of problems in Victoria and surrounds, and we talk of them often on V.V. ... but it's still the best place to live in all of Canada, and perhaps far beyond.

#690 todd

todd
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:10 AM

Or we are all just stuck up snobs.

It’s not our fault that we’re better.

#691 aastra

aastra
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

It's human nature to suppose that your difficulties in a new place were the fault of the people in the new place and not the fault of yourself or (horror) not the fault of anyone or anything at all. Your difficulties happened because life is life. Everybody has difficulties.

Victoria is one of those places that's supposed to be super friendly and super unfriendly at the same time. You'll see this contradictory claim being made all the time when people are complaining about any city that isn't static: Victoria, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, many places in California, etc.

Many of these places are supposed to have a locked-down & exclusive local culture while also having few to none true locals. Also, the locals are supposed to be super rich and super poor and super neither. Super rich, while earning super low pay, while being mortgaged to death, while making a killing on real estate, while being unfashionable, while obsessing about trends. There are too many rich people, but everybody is poor, but nobody can afford to live there, but there are too many new people, but everyone is cliquey, etc. 

The common theme seems to be flavor and complexity. You could spend a lifetime reading how Victoria or Vancouver or Seattle are too this or too that, or have too much of something or too little of something, or too much happening, or too much not happening (too much good, too much bad, too much neither). The issue seems to be "too".

Portland is too weird but the thing that's especially weird about it is how it isn't weird at all. It's too weird and too boring:

http://thingsaboutpo...suck.com/about/

Anyway, if you read enough of those discussions you'll realize how the complainers in every city are reading from the same script.

In any normal other places in the U.S (hell, even Alabama), people seek closeness, friendships, and true bonding. Here, the rain brain Portlandiands’ definition of a close friend, is a very distant acquaintance in any other normal place.

• todd likes this

#692 aastra

aastra
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:35 AM

When the Seahawks were on top you'd see the following contradiction all the time on the interwebs: folks in Seattle are milquetoast liberal granola eaters on valium who (nevertheless) transform into over-caffeinated Bigfoot lumberjacks to scream like banshees and thrash opposing fans.

The main stereotype about urban people in the pacific northwest seems to be inconsistent and easily disprovable stereotypes.

#693 aastra

aastra
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

...when you complain about a place you're supposed to say, "it used to be good, back in [insert good ol' days here]. But it seems like we're doing away with that convention now and jumping straight to "it always sucked."

For Some, Seattle Does Not Just Suck Now; It Has Always Sucked

From the Portland link that includes 35 instances of the word "boring":

Q: Hipster A is bicycling down NE Alberta in a clown suit while balancing a five-gallon jug of organic vinegar at a speed of 15 miles per hour. Hipster B is bicycling down Alberta buck naked while balancing a five-gallon jug of spring water at 17 miles per hour. When they run into each other because each thought the other should move out of his way because he’s way more important, what sound will the colliding jugs make?

A: “DOUCHE!”

This so perfectly true of Portland.

Edited by aastra, 26 March 2019 - 10:49 AM.

#694 RFS

RFS
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

When the Seahawks were on top you'd see the following contradiction all the time on the interwebs: folks in Seattle are milquetoast liberal granola eaters on valium who (nevertheless) transform into over-caffeinated Bigfoot lumberjacks to scream like banshees and thrash opposing fans.

This is just people confusing actual Seattle people with fans from Eastern WA

#695 RFS

RFS
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:49 AM

Victoria does have a seedy drug fueled underbelly, and I can easily see how someone could move here with no money from say Alberta or Saskatchewan and quickly fall into the wrong circles and have an absolutely nightmarish experience of Victoria particularly downtown

#696 aastra

aastra
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

This is just people confusing actual Seattle people with fans from Eastern WA

It can't be, because the hicks wouldn't fit the "milquetoast liberal granola eaters on valium" stereotype. These contradictions are irreconcilable, is my point.

#697 todd

todd
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

It can't be, because the hicks wouldn't fit the "milquetoast liberal granola eaters on valium" stereotype. These contradictions are irreconcilable, is my point.

Most non-granola eaters are uptight. Granola eaters are regular people.

Edited by todd, 26 March 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#698 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

No argument from me that it's pretty congested here these days, but what do you expect when people keep flooding in at the same time that the local politicians downsize our roads in the name of traffic calming and bike-friendliness? Less road surface and more cars? Well duh it's going to be congested.

The problem isn't the people moving here, it's that the powers-that-be aren't future-proofing our infrastructure. The south Island is going to surpass the million mark in population sooner than anyone thinks so they'd better start preparing for it. 

Edited by exc911ence, 27 March 2019 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users