Photo

Shine Cafe | Victoria | 1548 Fort St. & Blanshard @ Johnson

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

It's in the Stadacona Plaza and it's probably one of the best breakfast places in town. There's usually line ups on the weekend though. Good food, good staff, good price.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#2 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

I haven't heard of this place seeing as I live near it. What side is on? The side of Subway or the side with Cosmos Pizza which is really good pizza?

#3 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

It's on the Subway side, you should check it out! Just beware of lineups on the weekend.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

They got a fantastic review in the T/C. Getting to be as popular as the Blue Fox. Funny because you'd think that Stadacona Centre would be like a black hole for restaurants located way out there. Or maybe it's the only decent place to eat in the neighbourhood.

Think of how many restaurants have failed even though they were in prime downtown locations.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:35 PM

I love that place... I have a friend who lives right above it!

And in response to Holden, O'Beans café kitty-corner the stadacona centre is great for soup and sandwiches but closes at 4PM.

#6 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:33 AM

I went there yesterday, for breakfast.

Im not quite sure, but our table of three had to wait 15 minutes before we were seated, although there were tables free. Also, as they were clearing a table for us, a group of four came in, and instead they were offered our table, which forced us to wait awhile longer for a table.

Finally seated, they didnt offer us coffee or even bring us menus until we had been there for 25 minutes. It was absolutely ridiculous. By this time the table of four had been served and were well on their way into their meals, and we finally managed to find a server keen on bringing us menus. When she realized we hadnt even had our menus yet, you could tell she got really nervous as she was aware of how long we had been waiting.

Im not quite sure how they could mess up so big when the place isnt that small? Serving tables isnt rocket science!

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

Bad service.

It only takes seconds to grab water and menus for a table. That keeps the customers busy while the server catches up. Investing that extra few seconds buys the server time. Even swinging by the table and saying "I haven't forgotten about you! I'll be there as soon as I can!" (estimated time spent, 1.8 seconds) can put an anxious table at ease.

A overworked server can have a table wait cheerfully for up to half an hour simply by investing 45 seconds of maintenance. Ignoring a table for long periods of time is inexcusable and should not be tolerated.

[/rant]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:53 AM

^Or when the server constantly walks by you when you need something and you wave at them and they ignore you and only serves one table out of the whole reasturant? OH MY GOD! That would be Santiagos!!!

#9 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:04 PM

Thats how it was while I was there yesterday. It seemed that all the tables with elderlies at them were getting mad service. But myself and my friends were completely ignored.

Maybe I wont go back. (But the food was really good!)

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

That sucks! The only time I've had trouble is on the weekend, we had quite the wait to get in but once we got a table it was pretty good service considering how busy it was. The food is awesome, if you are in the neighbourhood you should give them another chance.

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

I've had nothing but wonderful service there, but honestly, Id go back even if it sucked. Where else in town can you get black pudding on the side?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#12 baz

baz
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

It's in the Stadacona Plaza and it's probably one of the best breakfast places in town. There's usually line ups on the weekend though. Good food, good staff, good price.

i heard they had a few problems with there servers over the past few months but i was in over the weekend there an it was busy but spectacular!!! definatly give them another chance!

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:29 PM

Café serves brunch to all

By Patrick Blennerhassett
Victoria News
Dec 08 2006

It takes a special shine to those who like their brunch early

Known as a late breakfast or early lunch, brunch never really gets the justice it deserves.

Whether you’re on the way to a round of golf, nursing a weekend hangover or simply just guilty of sleeping in, the combo meal has skyrocketed in popularity.

The Shine Café in Victoria caters to those who like their brunch a little early, said assistant manager Chantelle Mussell.

“We have 14 different kinds of (eggs) Benedicts and 14 different kinds of omelettes,” Mussell said. “We also do lunch; we have 12 different sandwiches. We also have burgers and we make our own beef patties here.”

So what does brunch require?

“Fresh and home made ingredients,” Mussell said. “And it’s not simple, but just the way it’s all put together it makes it all just perfect.”

The café’s menu features everything from the Scottish breakfast – which includes two eggs with bacon, black pudding, a potato scone and a grilled tomato – to their Tuscan eggs Benedict which includes sausages and sun-dried tomato pesto loaded with toppings.

The café also carries a wide selection of organic coffees.

Lunch is served starting at 11 a.m. and includes salads and a soup of the day plus sandwiches like the Sophisticated Greens, which features avocado, creamy brie, pesto, mayo, cucumbers, tomato, lettuce and pickles.

As for décor inside the restaurant, which is nestled in the Fort Street side of the Oak Bay Junction, bright colours on the walls and tables give the café a homey ambience.

“It’s just really bright and positive and fast-paced in here,” Mussell said. “It’s just a really happy and positive environment. Lots of fun, everybody that works here is really young and motivated; so it’s great place to work.

Having been open for around two years, the Shine Café has built itself a devout following. Mussell said close to half of the customers are regulars.

“We have tons of regulars,” she said. “There’s always a familiar face and we know a lot of our customers by name and we have people that come in here to eat every single day. We have a fellow who comes in and sits in the same place every single day.”

The crowd during a typical day at Shine is extremely varied. Mussell said you can see University of Victoria students sitting beside seniors citizens who are right beside a couple with two young children fresh from soccer.

“It’s basically all ages, it’s such a real mix.”

The Shine Café is at 1548 Fort St. in the Stadacona Centre at the Oak Bay Junction.

The café is open Mondays to Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. A 15-minute wait is required for take-out orders, which aren’t available on weekends.

The café can be reached by phone at 595-2133.

mailto:patrickb@vicnews.com

#14 baz

baz
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

oh my god, i went back to this place last weekend. we waited 15 mins for a table. the service was good but i had the special. man o man.. local maple sausage with other ingredints an a maple syrup and chipolte hollandaise.
holy f**k it was awsome.
defo give this place another try....

#15 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

Their specials are always terrific. One time they had brioche french toast... mmmmm!

#16 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

I went there yesterday. We waited for about 20 minutes for a table, but it was fine because we sat outside with all the other people waiting in the sun and talked.

They have a lot of omlette variations and the breakfast I had was just the way I like it. Very tasty. Even the multigrain toast was delicious.

It's a small place but good food like this is going to keep it popular. Lots of beautiful people here to see so the place in obviously in style at the moment.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

I went there for lunch a couple of months ago.

It was good. But it's definitely over-hyped. There are plenty of just as good/ better restaurants in the city that don't get nearly as much attention.
Seems like a word-of-mouth thing that's a little out of control.

#18 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

What are some other good breakfast spots I should consider? I think I've tried most everything anyone has mentioned here.

#19 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Try the Sour Pickle. I think it may be the cheapest breaky in town. It's not designer food or anything, but the service is always pleasantly friendly and quick.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:40 PM

^I think you get a dollar off your meal if you help roll the hobos off the entrance in the morning.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users