Photo

USAF F14s Flying Over Vic Friday 7.15PM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 silentfoto

silentfoto
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:55 PM

Standing at UVic bus loop and saw a trio of US F14s cruising overhead about 7.15pm. Probably heading back to Whidbey Island. Related to urban legend Richard Russells stunt? Or just saying hello?

#2 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:18 PM

There isn’t a single F-14 flying in the U.S.
So you did’t see F-14’s.

Whidbey Island has F-18 Growlers.

#3 silentfoto

silentfoto
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

OK F18s.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,356 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

Interesting. Any more info on this? Could it have been Canadian aircraft?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:19 AM

They were too high up for me to identify any markings. They weren't in close formation like you would see in an airshow practice.

Canadian controllers have been known to allow US military aircraft to shortcut through Canadian airspace for the sake of convenience or for personal amusement.

• Mike K. likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#6 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

Although it's likely they were Growlers from Ault Field on Whidbey Island (who are currently running large, month long carrier landing exercises), it's too bad you guys didn't get a better look at them, as they could also have been F-22's transiting from Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska to Hill Air Force Base in Utah, where they go for their regular maintenance cycles, and which takes them right over Southern Vancouver Island ... especially if they were routed to the West of all the smoke in the interior of the Province.

Catching a look at an F-22 outside of an airshow would be a very rare catch indeed, they're not a very commonly spotted aircraft.

They really could have been anything though, as Rob noted above, the Canadian/American border is basically invisible when it comes to NORAD military flights. We actually depend on the Americans to assist with intercepts of any "unusual" military aircraft over South Western Canada, as the F-15's from Portland tasked with such duties can be here (over Victoria) in about 10 minutes, where as our F-18's from Cold Lake would likely take 45 minutes to an hour to get here (unless they happened to be forward deployed to Comox, which is not often).

Wish I'd looked up yesterday evening!

• 57WestHills likes this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

We saw one of the Portland jets trailing that Horizon plane over Seattle.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

Maybe they were some of these.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Shenyang_J-11

Chinese-j-11.jpg

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

^Oh crap, they could have been. :D

They were quite high and I only saw them for a few seconds but after looking up and comparing silhouettes for both aircraft I seem to recall more of a pronounced diamond or V-shape to the wings which suggests the new F-22.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

Wowzers. If that’s what you saw then that was a sight to remember. Wish I had caught them.

Know it all.

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:50 AM

Planes buzz above us all day but there are two distinct sounds that make you stop what you are doing and look up. One is a larger piston-powered plane like those old Soviet Yak fighters, the other is a jet engine that is not an passenger airliner.

#12 tjv

tjv
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

sure beats the latest from the Canadian military

bi plane.jpg

• todd likes this

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:53 AM

On 19 August 2016, two F-22s intercepted two Syrian Su-24 strike aircraft over Hasakah, Syria, following SyAAF attacks on U.S.-backed Kurdish forces in and around the city.[206] In November 2017, F-22s operating alongside B-52s bombed opium production and storage facilities in Taliban-controlled regions of Afghanistan[207] in the Raptor's first usage in the country.[208]

F-22s participated in the U.S. strikes on pro-government forces in eastern Syria on 7 February 2018.[209][210][211]

https://en.wikipedia...tin_F-22_Raptor

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

F-18 Growler on the left, F-22 Raptor on the right:

delete_edited-1.jpg

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:18 AM

That delta-shaped wing is so awesome looking.

I’d love to see both the Raptor and the Sukhoi 57 fly by.

Could what we saw have been an F35 training flight?

Know it all.

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

Yup the last operational (USN) F-14 squadron flew into the sunset well over a decade ago; I think Iran still has a few older Tomcat's flying. Great old bird. Had an opportunity to see one up close and personal in California some years ago. Big bad-ass turbofan engines, wowza....

Funny how a couple of jets flying overhead these days initiates such a response. I remember at the height of the cold war fighter-interceptor overflights over Victoria being quite common, usually CF-101's from Comox, which sometimes caused some real excitement by occasionally cracking off their afterburners, before we  downgraded it into an essentially SAR/coastal patrol base and withdrew the interceptors completely to Cold Lake. Also the south island was directly under the flight path of the uber-classified SR-71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft from Beale AFB in California. You could often see their contrails waaaaay above anything produced by any other aircraft.

• todd likes this

#17 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

The  most unholy sound I've ever heard in my life was an SR-71 at an altitude of about 800 feet, doing a demo flight on the way back to Beale.

I've never heard anything (in the air or on the ground) that even came close to sounding like the Blackbird putting the screws to it.

I always liked the fact that the Blackbird had to be started by a pair of GM big block engines, which revved up somewhere over 3000 RPM before the Turbojets on the SR-71 became self-sustaining.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,356 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

Seriosuy? Like on board, or auxiliary units hooked up to the plane?

Know it all.

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

Auxiliary.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,356 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

That’s badass.

Can either of you concirm if it was a 472 or a 502?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.