USAF F14s Flying Over Vic Friday 7.15PM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

That’s badass.

Can either of you concirm if it was a 472 or a 502?

Buick 401 initially, then Chevy 454. Look up “AG330 start cart”

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,504 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:14 PM

Thanks!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,732 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

More fun facts about the Blackbird include the fact that the two P & W J58 engines were powerful enough to easily power the Queen Mary, and that the challenges of 'heat' were so immense the USAF never overcame it: they never did come up with a polymer that would seal the titanium fuel tank plates which is why it leaked fuel all over the place when on the ground. Only at altitude when the aircraft's skin achieved a certain temperature were the fuel cells sealed literally by the heat of the titanium skin. Lastly the CIA utilized a dummy front company to buy the titanium, the primary material from which 99% of the aircraft's surface was comprised, from the world's largest supplier at the time - the Soviet Union.

• lanforod likes this

#24 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

Can either of you concirm if it was a 472 or a 502?

Benezet answered ... BUT, given the chance - I don't ever like to miss an opportunity to point out that in this age of political eco-correctness - Chevrolet still makes and sells a factory 572 cu.in. performance big block in 2018 ... it's a fricking monster!!

https://www.chevrole...ck-zz-572-720-r

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,504 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:09 AM

Oh yeah, I have one! It can power a beast of a vehicle while purring like a kitten. It’s craaaaazy powerful.

@ASE, and didn’t the Russians know something was up but sold the titanium anyways, knowing that it is they who might need a favour down the road?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 LJ

LJ
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, they got Hilary to give them access to US uranium.....

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#27 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Interesting flights over Juan de Fuca Straight this afternoon.

Multiple big jets (up to 5 in view at once) flying high, up around 30,000 feet, with some doing huge loops over the Straight and Olympic Mountains, and others heading straight West out of sight.

I probably saw 9 in total over a period of 45 minutes.

They're still up there right now (13:57 on Nov 17th), with another jet just coming into view now (from the South East).

When I saw the first loop, I though Boeing test flight, but when I saw five jets at once i figured it had to be military, from McChord perhaps?

Huge contrails, and not often seen with this many planes, and going on over a lengthy period of time.

Edited by Cassidy, 17 November 2018 - 01:59 PM.

#28 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

Interesting that some of these jets are flying over Vancouver Island too.

Residual contrails directly above the COV currently.

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:27 PM

Interesting flights over Juan de Fuca Straight this afternoon.

Multiple big jets (up to 5 in view at once) flying high, up around 30,000 feet, with some doing huge loops over the Straight and Olympic Mountains, and others heading straight West out of sight.

I probably saw 9 in total over a period of 45 minutes.

They're still up there right now (13:57 on Nov 17th), with another jet just coming into view now (from the South East).

When I saw the first loop, I though Boeing test flight, but when I saw five jets at once i figured it had to be military, from McChord perhaps?

Huge contrails, and not often seen with this many planes, and going on over a lengthy period of time.

Could be a promotional video, how many engines?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:37 PM

If it wasn't for the contrails, it could be the lost squadron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users