Photo

NFL: Seahawks etc.

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#81 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

Curse racial justice! Can't we all go back to a day when caucasians could say and do anything with no fear of repercussions? I truly feel sorry for you that you feel aggrieved when historically marginalized populations receive any form of redress, however trivial.

When their ideas are faced with even the slightest amount of scrutiny, every leftist knows to rely on some variation of the above

#82 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,995 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

Curse racial justice! Can't we all go back to a day when caucasians could say and do anything with no fear of repercussions? 

i did not suggest setting ourselves back like that.

#83 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

I truly feel sorry for you that you feel aggrieved when historically marginalized populations receive any form of redress, however trivial.

i actually don't feel aggrieved.  and yes i think "trivial" redress in this form is ill-informed and probably counter-intuitive.

#84 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

So you're happy to let the free market decide...

...except when you're not.

you need to try to think a bit deeper here.

of course the market can decide.  

bear with me here.

i look at it a bit like the academy awards.  the actors try to use their voice or that particular platform to get the message out and yet it fails and ratings for that awards show drops every single year.  so by their actions they reduce the audience.  meanwhile art house films that the academy awards tries to celebrate continue to perform badly at the box office compared to blockbuster films where superheros smack each other over the head.

#85 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

This was sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after his article concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.

One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, so in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward. 

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the
Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns. 

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk. 

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres. 

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates! 

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children. 

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children. 

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children. 

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves. 

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in
mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beaver
s” (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???)

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for
 the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.

• RFS and lanforod like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#86 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

And here’s LJ, back to share his nightly email forward with VV readers. Google this one and you’ll find it’s been shared almost solely on obscure web forums and online news comment sections. Who knows the actual origin.
  • Greg and Brayvehart like this

#87 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

It's still a valid point. Is this a slippery slope?

#88 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:02 AM

Edmonton's Canadian Football League team has launched an online survey over the future of its team name. 

The online survey is conducted by Abacus Data on behalf of the team. It poses multiple choice questions regarding respondents' backgrounds and how often they watch the team play in person or on TV. 

It also asks for opinions on the team's name and meaning as well as if a respondent's views on the issue have changed over time. 

"Thinking about the name of the team, the Edmonton Eskimos, would you say you love it, like it, could take it or leave it, don’t really like it, hate it?" reads one of the questions. 

https://edmonton.ctv...nton:manualpost

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 July 2020 - 06:02 AM.

#89 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

Washington Post editorial calls for Texas Rangers to change their name

https://fansided.com...rs-change-name/

#90 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

And here’s LJ, back to share his nightly email forward with VV readers. Google this one and you’ll find it’s been shared almost solely on obscure web forums and online news comment sections. Who knows the actual origin.

Quick - back to your safespace, a place devoid of humour or comment.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#91 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:44 PM

Edmonton CFL team decides to change its name: TSN

https://edmonton.ctv...er&_gsc=65OkEGG

Remaining premier sponsors The Brick, Molson Coors, Discount Car and Truck Rental, James H. Brown and Associates, Save on Foods, Servus Credit Union, Telus and Tim Hortons all have not responded to multiple media requests filed by CTV News over more than week.

#92 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:53 AM

Canadian offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif won't be helping Kansas City defend its Super Bowl title.

The 29-year-old from Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Que., became the first player to opt out of the upcoming NFL season due to the COVID-19 pandemic Friday. The KC starting right guard earned a medical degree from McGill University and has been working to fulfil his requirements to become a doctor in the off-season.

He has been on the front lines of the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic this summer and said in a social media post that if he is going to take any health risks, it will be to help patients.

"This is one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make in my life but I must follow my convictions and do what I believe is right for me personally," Duvernay-Tardif said in a message on Twitter. "This is why I have decided to take the Opt Out Option negotiated by the League and the NFLPA and officially opt out of the 2020 NFL season.

"Being on the frontline during this offseason has given me a different perspective on this pandemic and the stress it puts on individuals and our healthcare system. I cannot allow myself to potentially transmit the virus in our communities simply to play the sport that I love."

The NFL and its players association agreed earlier Friday to an opt-out clause for the upcoming season. Those who choose to voluntarily will reportedly receive a $150,000 US stipend rather than their contractual salary while those with medical opt outs will receive $350,000.

The deadline to opt out is Aug. 3.

Duvernay-Tardif signed a four-year deal in February 2017. He recently renegotiated the contract and was scheduled to receive a base salary of $2.75 million this season.

https://www.cbc.ca/s...s-out-1.5662973

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2020 - 03:53 AM.

#93 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

The NFL’s Minnesota Vikings have announced that their Infection Control Officer has tested positive for coronavirus. The Commissioner of Irony has been alerted.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#94 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

Canadian offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif won't be helping Kansas City defend its Super Bowl title.

The 29-year-old from Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Que., became the first player to opt out of the upcoming NFL season due to the COVID-19 pandemic Friday. The KC starting right guard earned a medical degree from McGill University and has been working to fulfil his requirements to become a doctor in the off-season.

He has been on the front lines of the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic this summer and said in a social media post that if he is going to take any health risks, it will be to help patients.

"This is one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make in my life but I must follow my convictions and do what I believe is right for me personally," Duvernay-Tardif said in a message on Twitter. "This is why I have decided to take the Opt Out Option negotiated by the League and the NFLPA and officially opt out of the 2020 NFL season.

"Being on the frontline during this offseason has given me a different perspective on this pandemic and the stress it puts on individuals and our healthcare system. I cannot allow myself to potentially transmit the virus in our communities simply to play the sport that I love."

The NFL and its players association agreed earlier Friday to an opt-out clause for the upcoming season. Those who choose to voluntarily will reportedly receive a $150,000 US stipend rather than their contractual salary while those with medical opt outs will receive $350,000.

The deadline to opt out is Aug. 3.

Duvernay-Tardif signed a four-year deal in February 2017. He recently renegotiated the contract and was scheduled to receive a base salary of $2.75 million this season.

https://www.cbc.ca/s...s-out-1.5662973

Massive respect to this man!

• m3m likes this

#95 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

the rock has bought the xfl with his ex-wife.

Dany Garcia on Becoming First Female Sports League Owner with XFL: 'The Potential Is So Amazing'

"It's wonderful to have a business partner who respects everything that I do and knows the importance of who I am as a female leader, and as a Latina, that I think is really, really wonderful," Dany Garcia tells PEOPLE

https://people.com/s...dwyane-johnson/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 August 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#96 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

One player who reportedly blew his shot at making the roster after going undrafted was Oklahoma State cornerback Kemah Siverand. He was waived by the Seahawks “after he was caught on video trying to sneak a female visitor into the team hotel, per sources,” NFL.com's Tom Pelissero tweeted on Thursday. “Clear message on the responsibility everyone has in the NFL's COVID-19 world: Put the team at risk, suffer the consequences.”

Pelissero added that the woman was dressed in Seahawks gear “in an attempt to disguise her as a player.”

“Well, my first response to that is, I hope that she wasn't the actual size of an NFL football player,” cracked Titans coach Mike Vrabel. “That's the first thing that I would say. But we have to use great judgment. We know what the rules are ...”

https://www.ctvnews....id-19-1.5066014

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:30 PM

Which reminds me of a story. Back when I was 150lbs soaking wet I attended the Lions 50th anniversary shindig for the team brass and players (family connection to the team management). Anyways, the cheerleaders came in to do a little performance, and afterwards one came up to me and asked what position I played? Standing next to 450lb guys none of us knew if she was serious of joking, so I said quarterback. 98% chance that my ruse passed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#98 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

^ ^ i expect the nfl to come down hard on that coach for fat-shaming the nfl fans.

a report somewhere says 66 nfl players are opting out of this season.  half of them linemen.  that would be your obese pre-condition guys.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#99 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:22 AM

Great game last night for the Seahawks.

https://www.tsn.ca/r...riots-1.1527500

• lanforod likes this

#100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

Seahawks go to 3-0 today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users