[Oaklands] Hillside Mall expansion | Built - completed in 2014

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#581 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

...Cineplex has diversified and could bring a Playdium or Rec Room concept to Hillside...

For those not necessarily in the know (such as old fogies like me) The Rec Room concept is as follows:

The Rec Room is Canada's premier 'Eats & Entertainment' destination that brings together incredible dining, amusement gaming, technology and live entertainment experiences all under one roof. Part of Cineplex, The Rec Room is a premier social destination and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events, groups and parties. While each location is customized to the individual community, The Rec Room concept features multiple dining environments and a wide range of entertainment options including a large amusement games area featuring state-of-the-art simulation, feature attractions and redemption games as well as an auditorium-style space perfect for musical acts, bands and comedians...

https://www.newswire...-622542224.html

I agree with lanforod, this would be a great addition to Hillside.

#582 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:57 AM

Something like that would be amazing! 

#583 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

I'm not sure we have the population for a Rec Room, certainly not outside of downtown.

It has to be liquor-primary too, is the City in the mood to license a new 600+ person capacity LP out there? 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 09:59 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#584 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

I feel like that would be a better fit for westshore

#585 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'm not sure we have the population for a Rec Room, certainly not outside of downtown.

Hillside Centre is barely more than a 10 minute bus ride from downtown. It is also very handy via public transit to the hundreds of families (with children) who reside in Gordon Head as well as students at Camosun and UVic. Add to this a massive parking lot and I cannot think of a better location within the CoV for such an establishment.

• Midnightly likes this

#586 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

I do like that Rec Room concept. The empty Sears space checks a lot of boxes insofar as parking, transit, location, and available space. Bowling would also be welcome there.

#587 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

Hillside Centre is barely more than a 10 minute bus ride from downtown. It is also very handy via public transit to the hundreds of families (with children) who reside in Gordon Head as well as students at Camosun and UVic. Add to this a massive parking lot and I cannot think of a better location within the CoV for such an establishment.

The Rec Room is not really for kids is it?  It's for young adults 19+.  tenor.gif

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 10:29 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#588 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:32 AM

+1.  

#589 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Rec Room is adult-oriented, Playdium is kid-oriented. Both of them are large facilities, so there's probably quite a bit of flexibility in the programming of the spaces. I could see Rec Room functioning similar to a pub, with family-friendly hours during the day and then 19+ in the evenings

#590 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

The Rec Room is not really for kids is it?  It's for young adults 19+.  

The Rec Room is an all ages space all day, everyday in Edmonton, until 10 PM in Calgary, and until 11 PM in Toronto, after which Minors are not allowed. Specifically in regards to the Edmonton location: 

http://www.raisinged...bring-the-kids/

https://www.familyfu...t-the-rec-room/

• Jackerbie likes this

#591 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

Rec Room is adult-oriented, Playdium is kid-oriented. Both of them are large facilities, so there's probably quite a bit of flexibility in the programming of the spaces. I could see Rec Room functioning similar to a pub, with family-friendly hours during the day and then 19+ in the evenings

That runs afoul of liquor laws though.  I know, I know, they are building one in Vancouver.  But that's what I mean about population.  The starving-students set of Camosun/UVic is not what Rec Room is about.    

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 10:56 AM.

#592 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

The Rec Room is an all ages space all day, everyday in Edmonton, until 10 PM in Calgary, and until 11 PM in Toronto, after which Minors are not allowed. 

Ya, that do not work in BC at all.    You can not "move about with your drink" in anything but an LP (or sports stadium) in BC.  And kids are restricted in LPs, more so than they are in other licenses classes in Ontario and Alberta. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#593 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

...they are building one in Vancouver...

Which means it's theoretically possible to create a version for the CoV. You sure like to poo-poo things dontcha?

Edited by Nparker, 19 April 2018 - 11:00 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#594 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

I really don’t like to. I’m an optimist. But a realist too.

I’m sure the CoV does not want to open Sticky Wicket 2 three miles from Downtown.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#595 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

We'll see what happens with the Oaklands neighbourhood plan in the future, but the OCP currently identifies Hillside as a Town Centre, with Shelbourne and Hillside identified for "Urban Residential." Saanich has designated North Dairy and Shelbourne "Mixed-Use" or "Apartment Residential," and also identified Hillside as a town centre. Both Victoria and Saanich want residential and commercial intensification in this area. Not everything can, or should, be downtown.

• Midnightly likes this

#596 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Ideally, the former SEARS space could be redeveloped with both entertainment and residential components. There is certainly the available land for both.

#597 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

I really don't see this like Sticky Wicket 2. This is like Castle Fun Park in Abbotsford, except with a bar and more adult oriented.

I think Langford already has bowling and stuff like that. I think this would be really popular at Hillside and a major draw for the mall. If I were the mall owners, I'd be calling Cineplex and getting it done.

• Nparker, Matt R., grantpalin and 1 other like this

#598 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

i think it would be great to have a family friendly place to go to.. something with either games, or bowling, kids/family indoor adventure/activity to help those months and months of pure rain (something other then the McD's play places), and for it to be a place that has much available parking is a huge plus, there are many families in this city many who don't want to go directly downtown or drive to langford

i remember years ago people were trying to bring a children's museum to Victoria.. something like that could be a big hit

#599 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

I really don't see this like Sticky Wicket 2. 

I meat a stretch of weekend police resources to another part of town for last call.  

#600 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

Word from a co-worker who was at Hillside this weekend is work is being done on the empty Sears.

They parked on the upper level to go to Marshall's and windows are being cut out of the upper floors old entrance area on the rooftop parking.

Have a friend who is a manager at Marshalls, will see if they have heard anything.
  • Mike K. and Midnightly like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users