Rowing Canada at Elk Lake

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:51 AM

looks like the team is moving to quamichan lake. i guess it's a good compromise, a bigger lake with less traffic than elk lake but not as isolated as buntzen lake.
http://rowingcanada....training-centre

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,319 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:53 AM

seems some elk lake users are welcoming the loss online. they prefer some tranquility.

#23 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

If Rowing Canada drops the facility at Elk Lake altogether, look for Rowing BC to try to take it over. Right now they are based in Richmond, but their Victoria-based Executive Director Dave Calder would love to have them based in Victoria, and Elk Lake is pretty much right in his backyard.

#24 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

If Rowing Canada drops the facility at Elk Lake altogether, look for Rowing BC to try to take it over. Right now they are based in Richmond, but their Victoria-based Executive Director Dave Calder would love to have them based in Victoria, and Elk Lake is pretty much right in his backyard.

Their head office is in Richmond, but I don't think they maintain any facilities here. The boathouse is a UBC property, and the indoor training pool is part of the Richmond Oval (and yes, indoor rowing pools exist and are very strange to practice in!)

#25 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

Their head office is in Richmond, but I don't think they maintain any facilities here. The boathouse is a UBC property, and the indoor training pool is part of the Richmond Oval (and yes, indoor rowing pools exist and are very strange to practice in!)

Yep, they are holdovers of a time when Sport BC tried to create a hub in the BCIT building. Not a lot of Provincial Sport Organizations left in that building anymore. I don't believe they own any facilities in the province. They just use member clubs' spaces for training and competition, such as the UBC boathouse, Mill Bay, etc.

#26 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

I say good riddance, off to Duncan you go.

Something isn't being reported in this story though, because I simply can't imagine that the majority of the couple of hundred people involved with this operation are in any way "OK" with having to drive to Duncan every day, 63 kilometers each way, for a 130 click total.

This compared to the 11 clicks each way (22 total) to the Elk Lake boathouse.

130 clicks compared to 22 clicks?, and the potential for massive hold ups on the Malahat that simply don't exist on the Pat Bay Hwy.

There's something stinky in this story.

#27 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

I say good riddance, off to Duncan you go.

Something isn't being reported in this story though, because I simply can't imagine that the majority of the couple of hundred people involved with this operation are in any way "OK" with having to drive to Duncan every day, 63 kilometers each way, for a 130 click total.

This compared to the 11 clicks each way (22 total) to the Elk Lake boathouse.

130 clicks compared to 22 clicks?, and the potential for massive hold ups on the Malahat that simply don't exist on the Pat Bay Hwy.

There's something stinky in this story.

A big chunk of the carded athletes that are involved with the National Team program at Elk Lake to begin with are based out of Shawnigan or Brentwood, so they're already coming over the Malahat now. From what I've heard, those athletes based in Victoria will be provided the opportunity to be accommodated at Shawnigan going forward for training sessions, and if they permanently relocate, it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper to rent accommodation for national team athletes in Cowichan than it is in Victoria. That's a pretty significant budget item for National Team programs in any sport.

Having seen a bit of the inside of this deal, the only thing stinky about it is the algae in both Quamichan and Elk lakes.

• VIResident likes this

#28 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

I wonder if they’re going to push to restrict (Close?) the lake to other users also - just like they did with Elk Lake? I used to do a lot of floatplane training there, as the lake was fairly free from boats...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#29 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

A big chunk of the carded athletes that are involved with the National Team program at Elk Lake to begin with are based out of Shawnigan or Brentwood, so they're already coming over the Malahat now. From what I've heard, those athletes based in Victoria will be provided the opportunity to be accommodated at Shawnigan going forward for training sessions.....

But is not the bulk of the remainder of their requirements for training infrastructure still located in Victoria?

In other words, isn't everything they need but their boats (and water) at Camosun Interurban ... like 75+% of their physical fitness training?

I'm not sure Duncan/Cowichan is as inexpensive to live in as you propose. It may have been so 10 or 15 years ago, but in 2019 I'm not sure that remains accurate.

#30 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

one might even wonder why taxpayers put so much money into such an obscure sport. what’s the upside for joe taxpayer? a few more Olympic medals for the country every 4 years?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 January 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#31 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

seems some elk lake users are welcoming the loss online. they prefer some tranquility.

Where does one keep their finger on the pulse of Elk Lake users online?

#32 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:01 PM

just reading comments on media stories.

#33 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

But is not the bulk of the remainder of their requirements for training infrastructure still located in Victoria?

In other words, isn't everything they need but their boats (and water) at Camosun Interurban ... like 75+% of their physical fitness training?

I'm not sure Duncan/Cowichan is as inexpensive to live in as you propose. It may have been so 10 or 15 years ago, but in 2019 I'm not sure that remains accurate.

They do a lot of work at PISE right now with CSI, but Shawnigan has incredible athletic facilities and Brentwood just completed a world-class athletic facility as well. With access to those facilities, they won't skip a beat. Combine that with the infrastructure that North Cowichan has indicated it will support, and they soon could have everything localized in the Valley. PacificSport Vancouver Island has been playing a more and more active role coming down from Nanaimo, so I could see them establishing a permanent presence in Cowichan. I know the CVRD has also been pushing hard for more permanent sport infrastructure, so the timing is right for a boom there. Between the CVRD and North Cowichan, you basically have every municipal rec facility/field covered in Cowichan (save for Ladysmith, who also have been putting big dollars into sport and rec). Add that with the significant purse-strings behind the private schools in Cowichan and there is a lot of opportunity.

Don't get me wrong though, they'll still be active in Victoria. It'll be hard not too with the amount of NSOs and MSOs who have a presence here.

As for cost of living, you still see 3 bedroom homes go for $1,500/month rent in Duncan. Just compare Craigslist or UsedVic rentals to Victoria...it's dramatic the price difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users