Photo

Natural Gas Service - Shutdowns and other issues.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:22 AM

The electricity and gas company FortisBC is asking British Columbians to turn down their thermostats

and reduce natural gas use on other appliances following Tuesday's gas line explosion near Prince George. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...4856878?cmp=rss

\We are anticipating decreased energy flow and potential loss of service to some gas customers.

We request that all gas customers across BC turn off their thermostats as well as reduce use of all other natural gas appliances.

We appreciate your assistance:

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

The following is a message that FortisBC sent out to all of their customers.

How FortisBC is responding for its customers

FortisBC is doing everything possible to ensure natural gas is available for our customers, including bringing gas from Alberta through our Southern Crossing pipeline. We’re also securing additional natural gas on the open marketplace and we’re working with our industrial customers to help them decrease their natural gas use. However, the total amount of natural gas available will remain limited over the next few months, until Enbridge’s transmission pipelines are back to operating at a full 100 per cent capacity.

As such, FortisBC is asking everyone, from homeowners and stratas, to businesses and municipal buildings, to continue to conserve natural gas whenever possible this winter. To help do our part, we have lowered the thermostats in all FortisBC offices to below 20° C and we have changed our schedule of heating and cooling to operate on reduced hours. We have also begun running our compressed natural gas fleet vehicles on gasoline. Reduce your u​se

We encourage all our customers to reduce their natural gas use over the coming months. If customers can continue to reduce their use of natural gas where possible now, this will help to replenish storage options to help offset the difference in availability later.

We recognize as the colder temperatures set in, it will become more challenging for everyone to reduce their use of natural gas. However, where possible, lower your thermostat to between 18 - 20° C when home and awake and no more than 17° C when away or asleep. For example, if 11 households were to lower their thermostat by up to three degrees Celsius during the heating season, it would be enough natural gas to heat one home for an entire year.

We’re all in this together, and every little bit counts.​

How can I reduce my natural gas use?

We understand that reducing your gas use can be difficult during the winter months. Here are some simple ways to help you reduce your consumption.

​Turn off the th​ermostat
  • We recognize that in some parts of BC it may be impractical to turn off thermostats completely due to cold weather. Where possible we’re asking customers to set your thermostat no higher than 20° C when home and awake and no more than 17° C when out or asleep. 
  ​Wear a​ sweater 
  •  way to stay warm is to reach for a sweater instead of the thermostat. If you’re still cold, blankets and socks are a great way to insulate you against the chill.
  ​Heat only the rooms ​you’re in
  • Close warm air supply registers in rooms you’re not using. Avoid heating non-insulated spaces such as a garage, crawl space, attic or storage shed. 
  ​Take shorte​r showers
  • Using less hot water will help conserve our natural gas supply. Limit daily showers to five minutes and you’ll save water and reduce your natural gas use. 
  ​Dishwasher
  • Use the energy​-saving mode when your dishes are less dirty.
  • Run your dishwasher only when it's full.
  ​Clothes washer/dryer  
  •  laundry in cold water. 
  • Always wash full loads to help save energy.
  • Use lower heat settings on your natural gas dryer, such as permanent press.
Stay informed about BC’s natural gas supply

Get the latest news on the Enbridge-owned pipeline rupture.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date information.

Customer contact centre: 1-888-224-2710

https://www.fortisbc...t=reduceyouruse

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,995 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:37 PM

With the latest climate rhetoric, why not simply take this opportunity to shut down that pipeline? :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

With the latest climate rhetoric, why not simply take this opportunity to shut down that pipeline? :)

Broken pipelines is why we need to build Site C so that we can bring out the electric space heaters during the winter.

#5 todd

todd
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

I use site VV.
  • todd likes this

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:02 AM

On page A1 and A2 of today's TC.

TC Fortis info.jpg

https://www.fortisbc...ASAAEgLv7fD_BwE

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:08 AM

This winter will be a good indicator of how BC Hydro's grid handles a significant spike in winter usage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:20 AM

Stacked nearly three cords of wood this summer, will be nice not needing electric heat for the next two years. $300 winter time hydro bills are good news.

Sadly we do not have natural gas over here, wish we did.

Matt.
  • nagel likes this

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,814 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

If Fortis really wants people to cut back, they should offer something - give a discount or something for folks who cut their usage by 20%.

• Bingo likes this

#10 todd

todd
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:12 PM

On page A1 and A2 of today's TC.

Excellent I heat my house with the TC.

• Mike K., lanforod and tjv like this

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:19 PM

Stacked nearly three cords of wood this summer, will be nice not needing electric heat for the next two years. $300 winter time hydro bills are good news.

Matt.

Two years? And you're relying 100% on wood to heat your home? You'll be lucky to push into the first week of March if that's all you have. It takes three to four cubic feet daily of stacked wood to keep an average home nice and cosy, which works out to four-to-six weeks of heat per cord, and that's at average winter temps.

Order up another cord, cowboy, and start drying them logs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 tjv

tjv
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

Matt.

Fortis wanted 20k to extend gas down my street thru grassy boulevards and a few driveway patches.  I figure I could have done it myself with 2 helpers for about $3k and that includes charging full rate for my excavator.  

Then of course when I needed 400 amp electrical service I had to pay BC Hydro upgrade their system

• Matt R. likes this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:13 PM

I thought they extend it to the property for free then you're responsible for the remainder, and that's if enough neighbours agree to pursue gas and carry through with the home connection then service?

On my street they need something like 12 customers to agree to extend the line and they'll run it but then we'd all have to become customers.

Know it all.

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:33 PM

Fortis wanted 20k to extend gas down my street thru grassy boulevards and a few driveway patches.  I figure I could have done it myself with 2 helpers for about $3k and that includes charging full rate for my excavator.  

Then of course when I needed 400 amp electrical service I had to pay BC Hydro upgrade their system

I’d rather be running my kitchen on natural gas than propane, that’s for sure, but there is no line to the island. Liquid propane no problem, liquid natural gas maybe one day.

Nearly all of the island is on septic still, most of the town centre is on sewer but once you get a few hundred metres away it’s septic again. Booooo.

Matt.

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:38 PM

Two years? And you're relying 100% on wood to heat your home? You'll be lucky to push into the first week of March if that's all you have. It takes three to four cubic feet daily of stacked wood to keep an average home nice and cosy, which works out to four-to-six weeks of heat per cord, and that's at average winter temps.

Order up another cord, cowboy, and start drying them logs.

Ahhhhh not quite 100%. We use baseboard in the bathroom downstairs and to heat one bedroom down there too, but with some creative use of fans we manage to push the wood stove heat around. 95% of the living is upstairs, with just wood heat.

Last winter we burned less than two cords, and we’ve gotten better at it since so I’m hoping we will burn more efficiently this season. I’m optimistic we’ll get away with 1.5 cords this winter, but we shall see, we may need another cord for the end of next winter ;)

Old owners said they burned four cords a year, but they had a real crappy old insert. Our new stove is amazingly efficient. Money very well spent.

Matt.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:29 AM

Ah, very good. If it’s just one level you’ll be fine.

What’s your insert make and model? I’ve got a decent one but the newest of the new Pacific Energy inserts I hear are amazing.

Know it all.

#17 tjv

tjv
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:59 AM

I thought they extend it to the property for free then you're responsible for the remainder, and that's if enough neighbours agree to pursue gas and carry through with the home connection then service?

On my street they need something like 12 customers to agree to extend the line and they'll run it but then we'd all have to become customers.

Nope, I tried to get 3 other neighbors to hook up and told Fortis that.  Their response was the cost would just be divided equally

In my neighbourhood our lots are huge with frontages of 200 to 300 ft each so they have to run a lot of pipe down the street.  If I recall the line had to get extended 1050 ft to my house

Now I will say from a business perspective I can see it from their side.  I would have to buy a heck of a lot of natural gas from them just for them to break even

I'm still pissed at BC Hydro why I had to pay to upgrade their system to get power

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

Ah, very good. If it’s just one level you’ll be fine.
What’s your insert make and model? I’ve got a decent one but the newest of the new Pacific Energy inserts I hear are amazing.

We decided to build the pop out into an alcove and instead of an insert went with a stove. Much more heat.

http://www.pacificen...es/alderlea-t5/

Matt.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

Nice. What was your cost, all in, to go that route if you’re able to share?

Know it all.

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

Stove, stovepipe, chimney, delivery, install was about $4000.

CRD Inspection: priceless.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 30 November 2018 - 12:15 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users