Photo

Victoria School District #61 Board Of Education Elections

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:57 PM

While most of us focus on Mayoral and Council candidates during our municipal elections, very little is said about our School Board elections that take place at the same time. When you go to vote for  Mayor and Council, you also have to vote for the school board elections of whichever school district you reside in. This is a very important part of municipal elections as it determines who will be running and operating your public school system, which effects our children, and grandchildren. I advise to all readers to go to your local school district site and find the link to your current board members and to the current individuals running in the election, and look into each candidate. For current board members it's important to give good thought into how they have performed in their term(s) as members of the school board, and weather you think they should continue or if  new candidates should be elected.

If you live in Greater Victoria you reside in Victoria school district 61, which covers the municipalities of Victoria, Esquimalt, Oak Bay, Parts of View Royal, And All of South Saanich.  If you live on the  Saanich peninsula North of Elk Lake then you reside in School District #63, and if you live in the The West Shore such as most of View Royal, Colwood, Metchosin, Langford, & Sooke you reside in School District #62.

The Current School Board members for the Victoria School District 61 are:

Edith Loring Kuhanga

Tom Ferris

Elaine Leonard

Diane McNally

Dedra Nohr

Peg Orcherton

Rob Paynter

Jordan Waters

Ann Whiteaker

New Candidates for the Victoria School District 61 School Board are: 

Nicole Duncan

Aindan Elkin

Angie Hentze

Vincent Gornall

Ryan Painter

Zul Rajabali

On your voting Ballot you can vote for none, or up to a maximum of 9 candidates for The School Board elections.

[attachment=21252:-Z8G3i08.jpg]

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 10 October 2018 - 04:00 PM.

• Mike K. and nerka like this

#2 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

I advise to all readers to go to your local school district site and find the link to your current board members and to the current individuals running in the election, and look into each candidate. For current board members it's important to give good thought into how they have performed in their term(s) as members of the school board, and weather you think they should continue or if  new candidates should be elected.

I agree with you.  However it is pretty hard for the average person to figure out who they should vote for. Even for those motivated to go digging.

Here is the one stop shop for candidates https://www.sd61.bc....the-candidates/. Most have links to their own pages from there.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

MLA Rob Fleming got his political start on the board, no?

Tom Ferris is a good man.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

Tom keeps pretty quiet and low profile.

The only time I met him was at a public meeting regarding the new Mckenzie interchange. He kept to himself away from the other trustee's  before the meeting started, and was very quiet, and didn't say much. I don't know if this is a good thing, or bad thing LOL. 

#5 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

I agree with you.  However it is pretty hard for the average person to figure out who they should vote for. Even for those motivated to go digging.

Here is the one stop shop for candidates https://www.sd61.bc....the-candidates/. Most have links to their own pages from there.

The good thing, is that just because you can vote for up to 9 school board candidates, you may only want to focus on just one or two candidates that you know of and simply vote for them and nobody else.  For instance today when I voted at the polls I only selected 4, while another person my select 1 or vote for the maximum of 9.  But yes, overall the general public pays little attention to the people who run their children's  or grandchildren's school district. I think that needs to change.

• Bingo and pennymurphy2000 like this

#6 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:09 PM

Rob Flemming started as president of UVIC's student society, he  used to be a Victoria City Council member, he sat as a director of the CRD,  He also sat on the board of the  Victoria Regional Transit System. He was the Only member to vote against turning the Crystal Gardens into a multi-media tourist attraction, The B.C. Experience, which filed for bankruptcy protection three months after opening. No mention of him being a school trustee however.  He's done all this by the young age of 46.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 10 October 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

It's astounding how far one can go tethering their wagon to the NDP star, all the while never actually holding a real job in their life.

• jonny and Mystic-Pizza like this

#8 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:19 PM

It's astounding how far one can go tethering their wagon to the NDP star, all the while never actually holding a real job in their life.

Yep.......if you got the right connections to the right people in the right place, and at the right time. That's how it works in most cases. 

Rob started extremely young, and I would assume someone in a position of influence and power helped him along the way from day one, and made sure he did well in every move thereafter. 

But to think he is in his 4th term as an MLA by age 46 is pretty impressive one might say.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 10 October 2018 - 05:21 PM.

#9 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Not limited to the NDP. Other notable politicians with limited work experience outside the political ecosystem include Stephen Harper, Justin Trudeau, Andrew Scheer, Jason Kenney, and many more.

Personally I tend to view serving as an MP, MLA, cabinet minister, or prime minister as a pretty real job. And if they reach that level I'll judge them by the job they do not the political hack job they had 10/20 years ago

Edited by nerka, 10 October 2018 - 07:58 PM.

• Baro, Bernard, lanforod and 1 other like this

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

Ah, my bad. It was indeed his UVic work I was thinking about.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

Not limited to the NDP. Other notable politicians with limited work experience outside the political ecosystem include Stephen Harper, Justin Trudeau, Andrew Scheer, Jason Kenney, and many more.

Personally I tend to view serving as an MP, MLA, cabinet minister, or prime minister as a pretty real job. And if they reach that level I'll judge them by the job they do not the political hack job they had 10/20 years ago

This. Real life experience is great, particularly in business. But if they've made it to those top levels, in future elections, I'll vote based on their performance at those top levels.

Any how, back to the school district; how the heck does one find information on these folks other than their own biased websites? How do we tell what they've done the past 4 years?

• nerka likes this

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:20 AM

so far the only candidate I am going to vote for is Ryan Painter - there are several more I am considering but not made up my mind

#13 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

I'm voting for both painters, Watters (yes two t's) and Whiteaker and may skip going on from there.

• Baro, Bernard and John M. like this

#14 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

Any how, back to the school district; how the heck does one find information on these folks other than their own biased websites? How do we tell what they've done the past 4 years?

Exactly the problem. Unless you follow the education system and the SD very closely it is super hard to know who these people are and how they have performed in practice.

I am voting for Paynter as he lives a few houses over, I know him a bit, and he seems like a totally solid ethical person. I'll be the first to admit that isn't the soundest basis for voting.

• Bernard likes this

#15 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

I admit I paid basically no attention to the school board election so far. Any anti-vaxxers on the mix so I don't have to consider them?

#16 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:10 PM

I didn’t cast a vote because I don’t know any of them and my daughter will likely be enrolled in private school when the time comes.
  • Bernard likes this

#17 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

I wont be voting for any of the 4 candidates who shared the mailer with Isitt and Together Victoria.

#18 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

I wont be voting for any of the 4 candidates who shared the mailer with Isitt and Together Victoria.

Who were those? I never got that mailer.

#19 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

Who were those? I never got that mailer.

Dug through my recycling just for you nerka  :)

Sharing a mailer with Isitt Loveday and Together Vic was

Vincent Gornall
Ryan Painter
Rob Paynter
Jordan Watters

• nerka likes this

#20 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

Dug through my recycling just for you nerka  :)

Sharing a mailer with Isitt Loveday and Together Vic was

Vincent Gornall
Ryan Painter
Rob Paynter
Jordan Watters

Yikes.........Well at least Two of the names on the list of trustee candidates are decent. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users