UNDER CONSTRUCTION
The Wedge
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1400 Vancouver Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
The Wedge is a 15-storey rental tower along the 900-block of Johnson Street at Vancouver Street in downtown Vi... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wedge on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Wedge | Residential; retail | 15-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#121 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:57 AM

This might be slightly off topic, and some might say this belongs in another thread. But the immediate area surrounding this development is going to change so much I thought I'd share some stuff here. 

I walked to the save on foods downtown today and couldn't help but wonder what the view from that intersection will be like in 2 or 3 years. It'll be a bit of a **** show until then, but I'm optimistic about the outcome. First thing that'll change will be the bike lanes and barrier to vehicles scheduled for Feb 2021.

IMG_20200813_104145192.jpg

pandora_green.JPG

pandora_vancouver.JPG

By the time this project is finished they should be well underway digging the pit for 1400 Vancouver and 975 Pandora. I assume they'll just dig the pit for both at the same time. By late 2022 at maybe 1400 Vancouver will be topped out and 975 should be rising. And fingers crossed the public space surrounding won't be filled with needles and strung out people around the time people start moving into these units. I assume the drug issue will still be alive and well, but this city seems to have a whack-a-mole type pattern to where the problem manifests geographically.

IMG_20200813_104709338_HDR.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#122 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

I live at this intersection and it's surely going to be a lot different. All positive changes in my opinion. It looks like excavation is already happening for the Pandora tower.

117715549_3135828543170830_7128015992331

117600838_296285958309660_17103515729370

• Mike K. and dkuitu like this

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

...First thing that'll change will be the bike lanes and barrier to vehicles scheduled for Feb 2021..

I can't think of a worse place in the downtown core to create yet another useless public space than Pandora @ Vancouver. The current state of the Harris Green boulevard (and its recent history) should be ample evidence that this is a terrible idea, even for a city known for its terrible ideas. 

...fingers crossed the public space surrounding won't be filled with needles and strung out people

Unless the blue fences surrounding the existing "public space" remain and/or Our Place is closed, then this scenario is pretty much guaranteed.

• RFS and mbjj like this

#124 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

Yeah putting a plaza at that location is just asking for trouble and is classic head in the sand cluelessness by the city

• Nparker likes this

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

Not just head-in-the-sand cluelessness, but almost like deliberate sabotage.

#126 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

I can't think of a worse place in the downtown core to create yet another useless public space than Pandora @ Vancouver. The current state of the Harris Green boulevard (and its recent history) should be ample evidence that this is a terrible idea, even for a city known for its terrible ideas. 

Unless the blue fences surrounding the existing "public space" remain and/or Our Place is closed, then this scenario is pretty much guaranteed.

Have you been to the park where the old tent city from a few years back? That's no longer a hotspot for drug use. People bring their kids there to play and it doesn't resemble what it did a few years back in the slightest. Like I said before, it's a whack-a-mole issue geographically. Investing the amount of money and having planners carefully consider the design of a new public space can make an area unrecognizable. I'm not saying this is solving the underlying issue or anything, it's certainly not. Just betting on this location being completely different in a few years. There's no telling where the next tent city will crop up a few years down the road. 

• Promontory Kingpin likes this

#127 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:47 AM

Yeah putting a plaza at that location is just asking for trouble and is classic head in the sand cluelessness by the city

Are you suggesting that public space investments should be reserved for the 'well functioning' parts of the city only?

Edited by dkuitu, 13 August 2020 - 11:48 AM.

• Brantastic likes this

#128 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:48 AM

I repeat: As long as Our Place remains where it is, there will be no significant change to the social ills that plague the area. More public space is not going to solve the issue.

• DavidSchell and tiger11 like this

#129 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

We're actually going to contact Save-On foods to say, sorry, we won't be able to access your store any longer due to a stupid plaza being in the way.

#130 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:59 PM

We're actually going to contact Save-On foods to say, sorry, we won't be able to access your store any longer due to a stupid plaza being in the way.

Downtown is a grid, there are 200+ intersections. One get's blocked and suddenly everything is inaccessible? Don't waste your time by contacting them, they probably don't give a **** and have better things to do with their time.

Edited by dkuitu, 13 August 2020 - 02:00 PM.

• Matt R. and Brantastic like this

#131 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

Go up Cook and turn down Mason or Pandora. It's not hard. Pretty sure Save on will be fine without you. 

#132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:02 PM

...Pretty sure Save on will be fine without you. 

Nicely dismissive of mbjj's concerns.  :whyme:

#133 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:03 PM

Huh? if you're going to Save-On via the south, just take Cook instead of Vancouver.....

#134 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

I'd imagine Save-On is supportive of the project as it will add customers within walking distance of their store.

#135 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

Pretty sure Save on will be fine without you.

We're all fully confident that the Pandora Save-on Foods is facing a bright and certain future?

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

I'd imagine Save-On is supportive of the project as it will add customers within walking distance of their store.

Supportive of the 1400 Vancouver Street project or supportive of closing off Vancouver Street to northbound traffic at Pandora?

#137 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

Nicely dismissive of mbjj's concerns.  :whyme:

Because it's not a legitimate reason for concern. Cook Street exists.

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

Because it's not a legitimate reason for concern. Cook Street exists.

So you know what is a legitimate concern to other people? Wow.

#139 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:46 PM

Are you suggesting that public space investments should be reserved for the 'well functioning' parts of the city only?

Are you suggesting a public plaza is always a good investment regardless of context?

#140 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:55 PM

If there's to be extra green space in downtown it should be somewhere near Douglas or Blanshard. West of Quadra you have Centennial Square... and that's it. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users