Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#181 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

What if Geoff Young ran for mayor? He's got a lengthy track record on council, he has a strong voter base, and is for the most parts pragmatic. He might be a very logical contender.

Byelection wise, if SA were to throw his hat in, I'd be keen to support it.

I don’t like the guy personally, when I met him in person, he was a bit of a jerk. Currently, he has the most common sense out of anyone on council. I would vote for him strategically - Especially if Isitt ran

#182 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

I don’t like the guy personally, when I met him in person, he was a bit of a jerk. Currently, he has the most common sense out of anyone on council. I would vote for him strategically - Especially if Isitt ran

The options of people with current council experience are very limited at the moment.  

#183 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

I am assuming that Counc Isitt is preparing to reboot his mayoral ambitions in 2022. Safe assumption?

Also, will he rally another slate of slickly packaged candidates whose campaigns appear unconnected to him, and angle for full on domination?
  • rjag and AndrewReeve like this

#184 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:58 PM

I am assuming that Counc Isitt is preparing to reboot his mayoral ambitions in 2022...

To be fair to Comrade Isitt  - and I can't believe I am saying this - has he previously declared publicly any intention to seek the mayor's seat? Should he successfully run for the CoV's top political position, my city would be ruined and I'd give serious consideration to relocating elsewhere. How awful would it be to look back on Her Wor$e$hip's time in office as the "good old days"?  :(

#185 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

he ran for mayor twice before don't forget.   and nearly won the second time.

He handily won the 2002 election (61.65% of the popular vote) against a number of opponents, including his closest contender, Ben Isitt, then a 24-year-old master's student at the University of Victoria.

Alan Lowe won re-election in the 2005 elections. He again faced Ben Isitt and defeated him by 1,400 votes. Lowe's completion of the new police headquarters building and the Save On Foods Memorial Centre were very positive for his public relations. 

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Alan_Lowe

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#186 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:37 PM

To be fair to Comrade Isitt - and I can't believe I am saying this - has he previously declared publicly any intention to seek the mayor's seat? Should he successfully run for the CoV's top political position, my city would be ruined and I'd give serious consideration to relocating elsewhere. How awful would it be to look back on Her Wor$e$hip's time in office as the "good old days"? :(

I think it’s pretty much an agreement between him and helps (as far as I understand.) as my husband says, “when Isitt gets into that seat, he’s going to make helps look like Margaret thatcher.” So, ya - basically this town is toast. Unless, by some miracle, we could put an attractive slate together. And people get out and vote.

#187 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:37 AM

What if Geoff Young ran for mayor?  

If that was all that happened (and he was elected), it would make no difference.

The Mayor may chair meetings, and prepare agendas ... but that's all. There isn't any "additional" votes or ability beyond being seen as a talking head to the press.

There has to be a full slate run that would erase the left wing SJW's on Council, of which there are now 5.

Those 5, if they remained, would make any Mayor (Young included) a complete and utter lame duck from day #1.

As well, Young has his own issues that would likely prevent him from functioning well in the Mayors chair ... he's an extremely poor public speaker, and he see's the world through an economists eyes. Victoria needs a Mayor that sees the world through a businesspersons eyes, somebody who focuses their attentions on bettering the COV as a whole, not seeing every single thing they do and every single decision they make through the lens of "how does it improve the lot of the homeless, miscreants, and drug addicted".

#188 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

As was suggested in a recent letter to the editor, does anyone know if Catherine Holt is interested in running for mayor in 2022?

#189 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:46 PM

As was suggested in a recent letter to the editor, does anyone know if Catherine Holt is interested in running for mayor in 2022?

Certainly looks like she is setting up for that.

#190 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

i haven't heard of her before.. though i'm sure she's well known

Edited by Midnightly, 21 June 2019 - 03:35 PM.

#191 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

oh please no!!! She's not as business friendly as you may think. If anything she's setting herself up for a bigger gig like BC Transit or Ferries

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#192 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

...does anyone know if Catherine Holt is interested in running for mayor in 2022?...

oh please no!!! She's not as business friendly as you may think. If anything she's setting herself up for a bigger gig like BC Transit or Ferries

Based on her interview in Douglas Magazine, Ms Holt came off as sort of Lisa Helps-lite. She wouldn't be my #1 choice at election time, unless her only opponent was Comrade Isitt of course.

#193 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

Half-hoping Isitt runs for mayor so the city can rally behind someone who'd rather focus on getting things done for their constituents rather than pandering ideologically to their base.

Or maybe we get unlucky and end up with whatever the Islander version of Doug Ford is.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#194 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

Or maybe we get unlucky and end up with whatever the Islander version of Doug Ford is.

Pure fantasy. Far, far more likely is Issit runs and wins in a landslide.
  • Matt R. likes this

#195 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Posted without comment:

https://news.gov.bc....TRAN0049-000687

#196 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:25 PM

she's never had a job outside of government/non-profit or consulting to government.  so she is no business leader.

#197 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

she's never had a job outside of government/non-profit or consulting to government.  so she is no business leader.

Her role at the chamber requires her to act as the spokesperson and advocate for local business, she is not required to have a business background and many don't.

In my limited experience with her she appears in my opinion to base her policies on the 'way the wind is blowing'. Would probably make her a good politician but not necessarily the one we would want for Victoria.

Edited by spanky123, 21 June 2019 - 08:04 PM.

• rjag likes this

#198 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:51 AM

Her role at the chamber requires her to act as the spokesperson and advocate for local business, she is not required to have a business background and many don't.

In my limited experience with her she appears in my opinion to base her policies on the 'way the wind is blowing'. Would probably make her a good politician but not necessarily the one we would want for Victoria.

Yup, she is a spokesperson for the Board. When she writes letters like this she isnt writing her personal opinion its what the Board has required her to say. How she delivers it though is all her. She is a skilled communicator but doesnt have the skin in the game that a local business person would have.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#199 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:41 AM

Yup, she is a spokesperson for the Board. When she writes letters like this she isnt writing her personal opinion its what the Board has required her to say. How she delivers it though is all her. She is a skilled communicator but doesnt have the skin in the game that a local business person would have.

So in the context of a more practical and business grounded council, that may not be a bad thing, however, in the current environment where there's such a heavy SJW presence would likely make a bad situation worse.  Got it.

#200 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

My bet is that the letters she is writing are her opinion. I am sure that they are broadly aligned with the mandate and strategy that the board has given her but she is not being directed to write anything nor is she having it approved first in my opinion.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users