Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#201 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

My bet is that the letters she is writing are her opinion. I am sure that they are broadly aligned with the mandate and strategy that the board has given her but she is not being directed to write anything nor is she having it approved first in my opinion.

and you would lose that bet. She is the spokesperson for a Governance Board and works at the direction of said Board. There is no way she would have written that letter without at minimum, direction from the Executive.

I was on that Board for 4 years, 2 of which on the Executive. I am in contact with several members of the current board...she can present ideas and suggestions/guidance as that is part of her mandate, but no way will a public statement in her capacity as Chamber CEO like the letter be issued without first passing it through the Executive if not the whole board

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#202 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

and you would lose that bet. She is the spokesperson for a Governance Board and works at the direction of said Board. There is no way she would have written that letter without at minimum, direction from the Executive.

I was on that Board for 4 years, 2 of which on the Executive. I am in contact with several members of the current board...she can present ideas and suggestions/guidance as that is part of her mandate, but no way will a public statement in her capacity as Chamber CEO like the letter be issued without first passing it through the Executive if not the whole board

And I have been on lots of boards where the directors hand that authority over to the ED. If that is how you say that the Chamber board works then I have no way of refuting it but it sounds like a lot of micromanaging to me.

• rjag likes this

#203 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

And I have been on lots of boards where the directors hand that authority over to the ED. If that is how you say that the Chamber board works then I have no way of refuting it but it sounds like a lot of micromanaging to me.

Yup, there were some major changes about 6 years ago when you may not have noticed that Bruce Carter was basically muzzled. All media interviews and opening remarks at events were taken away from him and placed in the hands of the Board Chair. I wasnt around for that but there was a total sea change in that dept. No idea what went down (well I do but dont want to discuss publicly) but it changed the role of the CEO thereafter. Its definitely more administrator/spokesperson now instead of guide

Edited by rjag, 22 June 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#204 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

When the Chamber issued its scathing position on council’s pursuit of lawsuits against oil companies I know several Chamber folks were shocked, as it wasn’t what they expected from Holt. Clearly the desire to pen that letter came from the collective and not the head as it felt (to members) completely out of left field.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#205 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Curious to hear predicitons about possibilities for the next CoV election. E.g. what would it take, do you think, for voters to look more seriously at candidates before voting? To look for real evidence of actual ideas to make things better in Victoria, rather than clones who have glossy posters and meaningless, vague language about, housing, affordability and so on?

Edited by rmpeers, 30 August 2019 - 11:05 AM.

#206 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

what would it take, do you think, for voters to look more seriously at candidates before voting? To look for real evidence of actual ideas to make things better in Victoria, rather than clones who have glossy posters and meaningless, vague language about, housing, affordability and so on?

Amalgamation
  • tedward and AndrewReeve like this

#207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

...what would it take, do you think, for voters to look more seriously at candidates before voting? ..

A miracle of Biblical proportions.

• Greg, Daveyboy, mbjj and 1 other like this

#208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,290 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

right now my best hope is that alto runs against isitt for the top job.

#209 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

right now my best hope is that alto runs against isitt for the top job.

What about Chris Coleman? 

#210 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

IMO, if Isitt runs for mayor, he's got it.  

Unless somehow the massive votes he got for council aren't likely to translate into votes for mayor.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#211 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

IMO, if Isitt runs for mayor, he's got it ...

The saddest truth ever.  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

#212 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

Isitt might lose a few moderate supporters who like him as one of eight, but not as mayor but his popularity remains high and the big chair is his to lose.

Alto would be a strong challenger. Chris Coleman, I think is happy in retirement. At least he isn't making a lot of public noise a potential candidate usually makes around this time in the cycle.

On the other hand, Pam Madoff is keeping busy. She's been quoted in media stories and is currently chair of the City's Heritage Advisory Committee. Unlike the others, she has nothing to lose in a run for mayor.

• Mike K. likes this

#213 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

Interesting... honestly, I would be happy to vote for anyone who seems to have a genuine desire to govern the city (not the planet!) and who has an interest in actually representing the people they are elected to represent. Not thinking in terms of left or right... we're way past that... just someone who can do a reasonable job of governing the city.

#214 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

Isitt might lose a few moderate supporters who like him as one of eight, but not as mayor but his popularity remains high and the big chair is his to lose.

Alto would be a strong challenger. Chris Coleman, I think is happy in retirement. At least he isn't making a lot of public noise a potential candidate usually makes around this time in the cycle.

On the other hand, Pam Madoff is keeping busy. She's been quoted in media stories and is currently chair of the City's Heritage Advisory Committee. Unlike the others, she has nothing to lose in a run for mayor.

I would have said at one point that there was no scenario where I would vote for Pam Madoff as mayor...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:08 PM

Funny that, hey?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#216 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

IMO, if Isitt runs for mayor, he's got it.  

Unless somehow the massive votes he got for council aren't likely to translate into votes for mayor.

I'm not so sure. I think a large proportion of people who vote for Ben in the council simply throw him one of their eight votes because either A) They want to fill out their ballot (Yes, many people refuse to vote for less than eight people for council) and his name recognition as an incumbent is beneficial or B) They vote for more moderate candidates but either like Ben for his constituent work (Whether you disagree with him or not, he is good at answering his emails/meeting in person) or because they don't mind having a little bit of radicalism on council.

I don't think topping the ballot for council means that you are guaranteed in a shot at the mayor's job. 

#217 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

I agree for the most part. Every year I get a ballot to vote for officers of Co-Op, I have no idea who any of them are. I read the little bio's attached and then because I am satisfied by the way the Co-Op is run vote for the ones who the current board endorses.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#218 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

So, to sum up, Ben is the most popular politician in Victoria history but he's not that popular.

• shoeflack likes this

#219 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

What does Ben's failure to get the federal candidate nominatoon mean in terms of 2022 civic election? Has his recent behaviour eroded his party support?

Edited by rmpeers, 07 October 2019 - 03:00 PM.

#220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

I don’t think he intended to seek federal office in this election.
  • John M. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users