Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#241 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:45 PM

Are we sure she isn't hoping to score the Victoria Beacon Hill nomination next year?

Things of course have changed in the Victoria-Beacon Hill riding since my earlier post. I'm still not sure the NDP would welcome Ms Helps with open arms though.
  • rmpeers likes this

#242 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

Things of course have changed in the Victoria-Beacon Hill riding since my earlier post. I'm still not sure the NDP would welcome Ms Helps with open arms though.

Why not, James' daughter still has her $110K a year job doesn't she?

• Stephen Andrew and A Girl is No one like this

#243 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

edit post

Edited by Nparker, 27 May 2020 - 01:04 PM.

#244 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:35 PM

Any word yet on the coronation of the next Together Victoria candidate? (Aka byelection)

#245 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:49 PM

edited: misread

Edited by GetLisaSomeHelps, 27 May 2020 - 02:50 PM.

#246 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:24 AM

Seems like we are having difficulty articulating a response. I have none as well although I will point out it was ten years ago today we learned Sonya Chandler was quitting council which triggered a by-election.

#247 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:40 AM

I wonder if Geoff Young would consider taking a run at the Mayor's seat in 2022??  He would a phenomenal "transition mayor" to a more balanced council.  He knows the ropes, is thoughtful and analytical, and would likely enable many moderate minded to consider running for a seat on council.  I also think he'd get a significant share of votes, due to his name recognition - and most would really prefer to have his continued presence on council.  I think he'd be an excellent choice.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Young retires.

T-J, however, would make fantastic mayor and she could remain politically active for a while yet, should she choose to.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#249 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,931 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:22 PM

t-j cries too much.  imagine her trying to handle the negativity that is directed at the mayor.  and she does not live in victoria.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 June 2020 - 02:23 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#250 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

I would like to see Coleman run for the job. Isitt and his mob would have a hard time trying to call Chris a fascist racist etc 

#251 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:48 PM

Isitt will be mayor, young and helps will move on, and their seats will be filled by TV candidates

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#252 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

A grim but likely scenario, I'm afraid.
  • NotHudsonMack and Victoria Watcher like this

#253 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,931 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:21 PM

Isitt will be mayor, young and helps will move on, and their seats will be filled by TV candidates

it depends who runs against.  last time helps would have been gone if the others could have got their act together.

• Nparker likes this

#254 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:24 PM

The real test will be the byelection whenever if is rescheduled. If Stephen Andrews can win, there maybe hope for the city. If he cant face down the TV candidate then your scenario is likely. 

We are all gonna have to vote for Alto for mayor to stop Ben arent we? 

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#255 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:06 PM

it depends who runs against. last time helps would have been gone if the others could have got their act together.

That election remains one of the strangest periods of Victoria’s political history.

We’re still waiting for Geoghegan to deliver his proof of the conspiracy against him, or whatever it was. I can’t even remember what that hullabaloo was about.
  • A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#256 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:31 PM

Yeah, the election where the gay atheist who used his law degree to build a career training workplace leaders about bullying, harassment and discrimination, is labeled as a hate-mongering right-winger.

• Nparker, rjag, NotHudsonMack and 3 others like this

#257 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:32 PM

Hammond just couldn't shake that "Mad As Hell" label.

Geoghegan claimed Hammond's campaign colluded (communicated? conspired?) with Paul Seal's commercial Facebook pages. Which there is no evidence whatsoever. Even if they did work together and money changed hands there's nothing wrong as long as it's declared after the election. The fact Seal was wanted on a fraud charge is beside the point. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. So Geoghegan was desperately grasping at straws and promised the goods for months and never showed an atom of evidence. 

I actually agreed with a lot of his platform. When I called Geoghegan out on this and asked to show us the goods he got all defensive and whiny with me. 

The biggest small man I know.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:40 PM

Ah, very good.

I don’t think it was even a fraud charge, but a probation violation. I don’t know the details, however.

Know it all.

#259 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:56 PM

I don't even think Geoghegan really believed there was any conflict. It was a manufactured scandal. He claimed another campaign was also going to provide evidence and that BC Elections was investigating. A shameless attempt to inject some good old-fashion Socred-style dirty tricks into a municipal election campaign--one of the few remaining spaces that are mercifully free (virtually) of dirty tricks. 

• John M., Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#260 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:51 AM

it was like Geoghegan was playing the 'useful idiot' to dilute the anti-Lisa votes enough to let her slide in. He's a political analyst and a hard core Bernie Sanders fan, surely to goodness he knew that there was zero chance in hell he'd win, so whats the alternative strategy? Make sure the other guy doesnt win by playing the part of a right wing business candidate which is really a mirage.

• Nparker, NotHudsonMack, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users