Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

The “move” into an apartment somewhere on Queen was odd, too, as months earlier he was a Saanich resident running in the Saanich by-election.

On social media if any asked any questions about the peculiarities they’d be attacked by a giant mob, some of whom did not even reside in the CRD. That might have been a coincidence or people not updating their locale, but was it ever bizarre.
  • Nparker, rjag, NotHudsonMack and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#262 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:07 AM

That election remains one of the strangest periods of Victoria’s political history.

We’re still waiting for Geoghegan to deliver his proof of the conspiracy against him, or whatever it was. I can’t even remember what that hullabaloo was about.

He's somewhere enjoying the gifts of free backyard chickens and a composter that someone sent him anonymously after the election. ;)
  • Nparker, rjag, John M. and 2 others like this

#263 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

The “move” into an apartment somewhere on Queen was odd, too, as months earlier he was a Saanich resident running in the Saanich by-election.

On social media if any asked any questions about the peculiarities they’d be attacked by a giant mob, some of whom did not even reside in the CRD. That might have been a coincidence or people not updating their locale, but was it ever bizarre.

The guy is a lobbyist, which means he will do anything for whomever pays him the most. I suspect the pro-Helps crew was the winning bidder and the keyboard warrior mob was made up of professional activists. There is a lot of money in the progressive machine.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#264 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:34 PM

I do wonder if it would be better to see current dynamic through the next term so we can clean house.  Have Issit as mayor ignoring his constituents and have the Together Victoria block dividing it.  

One new Mayor outside the current crew won't change things as it's only one voice.  

#265 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:06 AM

One new Mayor outside the current crew won't change things as it's only one voice.  

That depends ... on whether you actually have a professional who knows how to bridge ideological gaps and get things done through back-channel communications and the identification of common interests - as opposed to local politicians who spend their four (or eight) years on Council trying to optically position themselves for some sort of future better paying Provincial or Federal office, or elsewhere the lucrative SJW culture.

People often assume bridging such gaps is "impossible", and yet we see Collective Agreements signed in B.C. almost every day, often between two parties who are seen to have nothing in common, and the belief of many that such agreements could never be concluded.

That's why some of the outliers on our current Council simply have to go ... because despite the fact that they "see things differently" than the TV group, they don't have the skillset to seek (or create) the common ground that is required to bring politicians together in order to get things done, as opposed to endlessly representing opposite sides of any given table (while getting nothing done which is of value to the taxpayer).

The current assemblage of somewhat immense COV issues and problems convincingly demonstrates that even  local politics is far more complex than most of the current crop of Councillors actually have the skillset for.

With the possible exception of CTJ and Alto, they're all basically amateurs.

Edited by Spy Black, 17 June 2020 - 07:08 AM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#266 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:51 AM

2022 - any word on who might be looking to the mayor's chair??  Also, any chance those considering can collaborate and consolidate support?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#267 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:45 AM

How about you AJ?

#268 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

How about you AJ?

Council might be doable, not mayor.  Note: I'm otherwise gainfully employed and still have kids in the house so can only commit to serving on a part time basis -- hopefully enough balance will be elected that we'll go back to more mundane and well run meetings.  I'd hope similar to what is experienced in Saanich or Oak Bay...

• Nparker, LJ, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:02 PM

...hopefully enough balance will be elected that we'll go back to more mundane and well run meetings...

If I could believe this I might actually want to vote come October 2022. With the direction the CoV is heading however, I strongly suspect I will be living elsewhere in the region by then. I could still run for public office in Victoria of course, but not vote for myself. That's how bizarre our electoral system is.

• NotHudsonMack, Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#270 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

Any word on the by-election?  Or does democracy and the will of the people really not matter at all??

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#271 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:49 AM

Council might be doable, not mayor.  Note: I'm otherwise gainfully employed and still have kids in the house so can only commit to serving on a part time basis -- hopefully enough balance will be elected that we'll go back to more mundane and well run meetings.  I'd hope similar to what is experienced in Saanich or Oak Bay...

We think you would make the perfect mayor especially with your background In economics . Your common sense approach is what’s needed right now . If we the voters only have you on council because of personal responsibility we understand.

We need  your  voice of reason .

• A Girl is No one and Teardrop like this

#272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Any word on the by-election? Or does democracy and the will of the people really not matter at all??

No kidding. The by-election is not even an issue, it seems.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#273 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:10 PM

...does democracy and the will of the people really not matter at all??

I believe yesterday's council decision re BHP should answer your question.
  • rmpeers and E2V like this

#274 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:02 PM

Any word on the by-election? Or does democracy and the will of the people really not matter at all??

I'm sure they love only having one voice of dissent. Didn't CTJ and Alto used to be a little more normal? I feel like they have been indoctrinated into the Helps-Isitt Cult now.
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#275 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:33 PM

Nah... they’ve sold out years ago.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#276 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:23 AM

Yes sometimes I think, oh those two are speaking some common sense, then they vote right along with the rest of the crowd. I don't get it.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#277 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:40 AM

I can on occasion support Geoff Young's council decisions, but quite frankly not one of the others even comes close to getting my support.

#278 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:02 PM

I am wondering if we should add a poll to guess which name Together Victoria has decided should be used to replace "Victoria"?

#279 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:25 PM

I am wondering if we should add a poll to guess which name Together Victoria has decided should be used to replace "Victoria"?

Together Camosack?

• mbjj likes this

#280 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:00 PM

It will probably be some goofy acronym.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users