Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#281 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:21 AM

2022 - Those thinking of running to ensure a balanced and effective counsel should likely start consulting with one another and co-ordinating.  Maybe not as a slate per se, but as a group of independents who want to serve Victoria and take it into a more functional direction...

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#282 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:42 AM

^That opens up an interesting scenario.

It's been a year-long slog for the candidates but only one will be successful. Will the losers have any gas left in the tank with the general election only two years away? If not, we could see a brand-new group of newcomers in 2022.

I quick tour around town shows me that Stephen Andrew is clearly winning the lawn sign race. Stephanie Hardman is a distant second, surprisingly. Sean Leitenberg had almost as many signs.

I only saw one Riga Godron sign, which is very surprising knowing that her campaign is very well funded. 

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#283 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

^That opens up an interesting scenario.

It's been a year-long slog for the candidates but only one will be successful. Will the losers have any gas left in the tank with the general election only two years away? If not, we could see a brand-new group of newcomers in 2022.

I quick tour around town shows me that Stephen Andrew is clearly winning the lawn sign race. Stephanie Hardman is a distant second, surprisingly. Sean Leitenberg had almost as many signs.

I only saw one Riga Godron sign, which is very surprising knowing that her campaign is very well funded. 

I don't think that TV supporters need to be reminded who to vote for. 

Edited by spanky123, 15 November 2020 - 09:54 AM.

#284 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

If the TV candidate wins in December, I hold out little hope for a change in 2022.

#285 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 03:02 PM

Stephen Andrew signs on Richardson have been stolen, only the frames remain. Very discouraging to see this sort of thing. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#286 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 03:05 PM

Desperate Victoria strikes again.

#287 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

Stephen Andrew signs on Richardson have been stolen, only the frames remain. Very discouraging to see this sort of thing. 

I assumed the wind last night carried away the one near my place...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#288 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 06:32 PM

The ones at moss street village were also gone yesterday.
I don’t think it’s the wind: I saw some of SA’s signs in really high wind and they survived.

#289 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

In the last few weeks or so, I've driven around Vic West, Burnside-Gorge, James Bay, and Hillside-Quadra, as well as major thoroughfares leading out of town. Some observations:

On public medians, I've seen significant numbers of small Stephen Andrew signs. Sometimes, there are unreasonably large numbers, such as on Gorge Road where I went for a long walk with a friend last week. There is no rule against this, of course, but it does border on visual pollution to have one every three or four feet for a mile. Most of his big ones are in pretty good strategic places. Lots have been knocked over, looks like a mix of vandalism and the wind. 

Stephanie Hardman mostly has big signs on public property, very few little ones. I've seen a few of her big ones down, that's almost certainly because of the wind. 

I've also seen other small signs on public medians. Most of the rest have been Sean Leitenberg and Riga Godron, but I've also seen ones for Rob Duncan. 

On private property I have seen very few signs in general. From what I've seen, Hardman has more than Andrew by far, but there is an obvious bias based on the communities I've been in. Overall, I think signs are a useless measure of support for a candidate, but especially in a municipal campaign (let alone by-election) with such a small sample size.

Stephen Andrew has the best signs. The two-tone colour scheme and font make them look sharp and easy to read. I actually think Sean Leitenberg's look quite good too, I immediately knew who they were for. Hardman's sacrifice appearance over functionality (Which might be a great analogy for Victoria Council in general). Rob Duncan's are terrible, I've only been able to actually see what they are when walking by them and stopping. Riga Godron's fall somewhere in the middle, but are quite dull looking. 

Edited by John M., 16 November 2020 - 09:12 AM.

#290 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:34 AM

Other candidates' signs remained on Richardson. Only Stephen Andrew's were missing, frame remained. One would think if the cover had merely blown off you would have seen them laying about, but none to be seen. There were at least 8 missing that I counted. Ours that was just outside our property line remained. I doubt it was the wind. 

#291 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:08 AM

Lots of recent posts here that would make more sense in the December 2020 by-election thread.

#292 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:01 PM

Would be useful for those volunteering.

2022 - Those thinking of running to ensure a balanced and effective counsel should likely start consulting with one another and co-ordinating.  Maybe not as a slate per se, but as a group of independents who want to serve Victoria and take it into a more functional direction...

#293 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:29 PM

So for the 2022 election, if you live somewhere else in the CRD but own property in Victoria, can you vote in the Vic election? This is assuming you do not vote in your home riding.

Edited by On the Level, 14 December 2020 - 05:30 PM.

#294 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:46 PM

So for the 2022 election, if you live somewhere else in the CRD but own property in Victoria, can you vote in the Vic election? This is assuming you do not vote in your home riding.

you can vote in any municpality where you own property (personally not corporately) - so if you own property in victaria, saanich and sooke, you can vote in all three ... in provincial and federal elections you may only vote in one riding, regardless of how many. and where, your properties are located

• On the Level likes this

#295 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

I really hope this guy from 1975 is still around to run in 2022. He sounds like a hoot:

bitterman.jpg

#296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:56 AM

Perhaps the most honestly named politician I have ever seen.

#297 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:33 AM

It's an aptonym. Like a landscaper called Mr. Gardner.

I looked him up. He wanted a "keep off the grass" sign for Centennial Square to deter people having sex on the lawn. He claimed to "almost seen that performed twice". He also had warnings for "skin flick theatres and body rub parlors". After his failed bid for mayor he demanded a recount in order to find illegal ballots (why does that sound familiar?) 

• Nparker likes this

#298 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:06 AM

612 Days.  That's all.  And unless something is done, we'll see a replay, again and again.  At it's core, we've got a voter turnout and education problem.

#299 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:07 AM

I guess it would be useful for any candidates possibly running to work to establish themselves before then, both as critics of the current regime and present solutions. Establish themselves as a force to undo some of the damage and listen to voters. Stephen Andrew did a good job of this and it paid off to establish himself.

Christ knows the ballots will have a huge amount of names. There seems to be a sense that literally anyone can do these jobs. And, given some of the folks currently around the table, who could blame them for thinking that?
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#300 GaryRanson

GaryRanson
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:45 AM

Sure hope the 2022 election doesn't have the same lineups seen in 2018 and that promises are kept ;-)

"City of Victoria to double voting machines in bid to end long waits at polls"

https://theprovince....c9-d36a3a56b613

Edited by GaryRanson, 11 February 2021 - 07:45 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users