Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#301 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:53 AM

I thought if you wanted more voters you didn't need more machines you just got China and Venezuela to tweak the algorithm. We are so behind the times.

• GaryRanson and rmpeers like this

#302 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

Sure hope the 2022 election doesn't have the same lineups seen in 2018 and that promises are kept ;-)

"City of Victoria to double voting machines in bid to end long waits at polls"

https://theprovince....c9-d36a3a56b613

My worry is that Isitt will groom new bots to run and do his bidding. If they're smart they'll ditch the Together Victoria banner, whose inherent nastiness I think people are now wise to, and try to sneak in a bunch of Ben proxies.

#303 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:12 PM

Sure hope the 2022 election doesn't have the same lineups seen in 2018 and that promises are kept ;-)

"City of Victoria to double voting machines in bid to end long waits at polls"

https://theprovince....c9-d36a3a56b613

Just go to Our Place or UBC to vote. Good chance all of the new voting stations will be there.

#304 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:21 PM

UBC?

#305 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:45 PM

Stephen Andrew just announced his intent to run in the 2022 election!

https://m.facebook.c...153415458020231
  • Nparker, grantpalin, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:50 PM

for mayor or council?

perhaps he deliberately did not say.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2021 - 08:50 PM.

#307 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:53 PM

Yes, interesting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#308 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 09:48 PM

UBC?

Sorry sorry....got mixed up.  Simon Fraser.

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#309 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:13 PM

for mayor or council?

perhaps he deliberately did not say.

Wonder if Helps will run again? Possibly Isitt will take a run for the mayor's job? Never happen but would be funny to see them run against each other.

"Mayor Helps has had 8 years to destroy the city. I acknowledge she has damaged it irreparably, but she clearly doesn't have what it takes." "Mr. Isitt talks tough but let me assure voters he doesn't hate the city as much as I do." "If my opponent hates the city as much as she claims, then why hasn't all property been seized? Why haven't motor vehicle owners been sent to forced labour camps yet?"
  • rjag likes this

#310 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

I think declaring now is a sign of commitment to the city - and is smart.  Actually, those considering a run, would likely be wise to begin to be known in order to overcome the name recognition of the incumbents.  The more information voters have, the better, the better able they will be able to discern between those who are wanting to do this for the right reasons and those with an axe to grind.  The better able they will be to look at the who and determine their motivations for wanting to be at that table.

Age, previous work history, tenure in the city, and views on matters of interest to voters all matter. 

• rjag, pennymurphy2000 and jrm like this

#311 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

I think declaring now is a sign of commitment to the city - and is smart.  Actually, those considering a run, would likely be wise to begin to be known in order to overcome the name recognition of the incumbents.  The more information voters have, the better, the better able they will be able to discern between those who are wanting to do this for the right reasons and those with an axe to grind.  The better able they will be to look at the who and determine their motivations for wanting to be at that table.

Age, previous work history, tenure in the city, and views on matters of interest to voters all matter. 

It will be very interesting to see if Isitt and TV play the identity label game again. Anyone to the right of them was basically a nazi....which was laughable as most of the people would fall under the NDP spectrum....but even thats too hard core right for the Red Cedar woke warriors

I think if they do try to misinform and label there will be quite a backlash this time.

• Nparker, mbjj and Awaiting Juno like this

#312 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:32 AM

It will be very interesting to see if Isitt and TV play the identity label game again. Anyone to the right of them was basically a nazi....which was laughable as most of the people would fall under the NDP spectrum....but even thats too hard core right for the Red Cedar woke warriors

I think if they do try to misinform and label there will be quite a backlash this time.

Which in some ways might be the desired result, for two reasons: one, the backlashers then get accused of living up to what they're being labelled as in the first place; and two, the whole campaign devolves into more-or-less petty arguments over labelling rather than real discussion of real issues.

Edited by FogPub, 15 February 2021 - 03:32 AM.

• max.bravo likes this

#313 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

Wonder if Helps will run again? Possibly Isitt will take a run for the mayor's job? Never happen but would be funny to see them run against each other.

Helps has said many times that she will not run again. She can always change her mind, but I wouldn't see her doing it unless she felt a high degree of certainty that she could win.

SA has been on the job for 2 months so in my opinion it is a little early to be saying that you will be running again in 1.5 years. I think it makes sense to be announcing a year from now due to finance laws which allow you to spend an unlimited amount of money ahead of the election period. 

If SA does a good job and stays out of controversy then he would be a good mayoral candidate in 2022, but I have also heard of a couple of high profile people who sat on the sidelines in 2018 knowing that 2022 would be their chance.

#314 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:39 AM

Are we willing to vote in a new entrant to the political pool as mayor? It seems like the smart thing to do is to vote in mayors from councillors who have already exhibited their performance as a politician, and are aware of how to handle a meeting and have developed a sense of mayoral duties. The worst thing is when you have a business person or community leader thinking they'll be good at the job and riling up support, then realizing six months in they hate the job or it's not their forte.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:47 AM

...It seems like the smart thing to do is to vote in mayors from councillors who have already exhibited their performance as a politician, and are aware of how to handle a meeting and have developed a sense of mayoral duties...

With the exception of Stephen Andrew, there is not a single existing council member I could endorse for mayor.

• GaryRanson and jrm like this

#316 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:41 AM

My concern for next year's election is this: knowing that the TV brand is badly tarnished and with the Province cracking down on slates, we will get several innocous-looking feel-good candidates spouting nice buzzwords, who will then get elected and reveal themselves as cop-hating activists who want to perpetuate homelessness in order to keep the industry profitable, ignore their constituents and so on.

I am optimistic that Hammond might run again, even though he lost due to nasty propaganda directed against him and the magical appearance of a vote-splitting candidate. Maybe people would be smarter this time.

#317 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

You have to wonder if his recent opinion on Isitt is the start of a campaign.
  • kitty surprise and rmpeers like this

#318 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:59 AM

It would certainly be good to see more people establish themselves by calling out council's antics in the way Hammond did.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#319 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:00 AM

...I am optimistic that Hammond might run again, even though he lost due to nasty propaganda directed against him and the magical appearance of a vote-splitting candidate. Maybe people would be smarter this time.

You have to wonder if his recent opinion on Isitt is the start of a campaign.

Unfortunately, an early unofficial start to a campaign gives his detractors even more time to paint him in a bad light.

As for people being smarter - never underestimate the ability of the electorate to repeat their mistakes.

#320 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:52 PM

Unfortunately, an early unofficial start to a campaign gives his detractors even more time to paint him in a bad light.

Nobody cares what they have to say about anything any longer. They’re going to make a run for as much change as they can push through before their harmful reign ends in 2022, and then that’s it.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users