Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#321 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:58 PM

Nobody cares what they have to say about anything any longer. They’re going to make a run for as much change as they can push through before their harmful reign ends in 2022, and then that’s it.

Seems plausible. Make Beacon Hill Park unvisitable. Done. Ruin Clover Point. Underway. Make Vancouver Street undrivable. Complete. Scary to think what other sadistic initiatives might be in the works between now amd next fall.
  • kitty surprise likes this

#322 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

...They’re going to make a run for as much change as they can push through before their harmful reign ends in 2022, and then that’s it.

Do you really believe TV's days are numbered? I wish I had your confidence that the pendulum has a chance of swinging towards the middle come October next year.

#323 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:16 PM

Nobody cares what they have to say about anything any longer. They’re going to make a run for as much change as they can push through before their harmful reign ends in 2022, and then that’s it.

"That's it"?

In the 2019 federal election, the NDP and the Green candidates got 63% of the votes in the Victoria riding.

In the 2020 provincial election, the NDP and Green candidates got 85% of the votes in Victoria-Beacon Hill.

Sorry to break it to you, but conservative, low-tax, tough-on-crime candidates are not going to magically sweep into City Hall in 2022.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 07 March 2021 - 03:16 PM.

• Rob Randall, John M., Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:29 PM

Yes, that’s it.

Together Victoria has been rejected. The slate is so far from the common ground our community needs to successfully function, that I can see how a moderate among moderates that is Stephen Andrew would look like Stephen Harper by comparison. That’s how far off track Victoria has slid since 2014, with the last two years being the most destructive since time immemorial.
  • A Girl is No one and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#325 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:58 PM

Oh, you guys pray for a pro-business guy like Peter Pollen but you'll be blindsided to discover that dream mayor might be as anti-development like Pollen was. Then you'll cry for Lisa Helps to return.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:05 PM

Who is praying for a pro-business guy like Peter Pollen?

The city needs practical problem solvers. Whether or not they’re business people doesn’t matter, but it’s good to have a variety of backgrounds. The slate experience, though, became such a disaster that even the province was forced into action.
  • Ismo07 and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#327 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:57 PM

Oh, you guys pray for a pro-business guy like Peter Pollen but you'll be blindsided to discover that dream mayor might be as anti-development like Pollen was. Then you'll cry for Lisa Helps to return.

I would never "pray for Lisa Helps to return!!

She has destroyed this city on every level possible.

• Nparker likes this

#328 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:08 PM

Disagree with her progressive views on development? That's what I'm saying.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#329 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:09 PM

I would never "pray for Lisa Helps to return!! She has destroyed this city on every level possible.

To be fair, she has been ably assisted in her machinations by Comrade Isitt and the gruesome TV twosome.

#330 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:15 PM

I hate to break it to you, but the current political leanings on council are not going anywhere anytime soon. Unless you live in a bubble, stating that nobody cares about what 'they' have to say, is delusional. 

#331 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:47 PM

I hate to break it to you, but the current political leanings on council are not going anywhere anytime soon. Unless you live in a bubble, stating that nobody cares about what 'they' have to say, is delusional.

I suppose some folks are still buying what they claim to be selling (despite all evidence that the product doesn't work as advertised); after all, a whole third (I think) of people voted for Hardman in the by-election. But an increasing number see that it's all about dividing people, creating stress and upset when people could use a break; and about phony adolescent posturing and pseudo-activism that hasn't helped anyone (aside from a handful of bike-lane advocates).

#332 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:25 PM

UVIC will be back with in-person sessions by 2022 and we'll have hundreds of newly implanted homeless drawn into Victoria.  We'll have another round of "bold action" although I think Stephen Andrews might have one or two more objective voices at Council to shed some light.   This thing needs to run it's course before people can't hide behind social justice ideology any longer.  

It's sad that the CoV Council has made social giving so negative for those giving and receiving help.

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:33 AM

Disagree with her progressive views on development? That's what I'm saying.

“Progressive?” We finally built a tower Pam Madoff approved in 2006, and Saanich just passed a bylaw allowing 24-storey buildings. There’s nothing progressive about finally building housing density the business community said was sorely needed - two decades ago.

Eventually some issues, like density in built up areas, become non-issues. Where the latest fight is, is in densification attempts of traditionally SFD neighborhoods. That’s a whole different beast than allowing 12-storey “towers” in Harris Green which were a sky-is-falling proposition circa 2000.

Know it all.

#334 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:33 AM

we never built the pam madoff windmill though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2021 - 06:34 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#335 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:39 AM

I’m going by the by-election results.
  • Ismo07 and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.

#336 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:58 AM

As it has been for the last few elections, it will be for the next one ... with the victor having succeeded in getting out their vote, and the loser having failed to get out theirs.

Four more years of TV majority on Council, or Isitt as Mayor would put Victoria solidly on a death watch in terms of tourism, and successful downtown small businesses.

Downtown Victoria has already become the de-facto national destination for criminals, drug addicts, and the homeless.

We are renowned as a city where your crimes are guaranteed to go unpunished, your drugs are available on every street corner, and once middle of the road tourist hotels and motels are turned en masse into free accommodations for miscreants of all stripes.

But I guess of you're a SJW renter living in an apartment and attending UVIC, you want to be politically active in order to fit into the UVIC social scene, and you have no plans on living in Victoria after you graduate ... you don't really care, you and the hidden figures behind TV are just fulfilling your SJW agenda at the ballot box.

It will take every Victoria voter - from the flexible centrist to the hard right law and order Rockland homeowner to kick this bunch out ... one can only hope these folks actually put on their jackets and take the 45 minutes out of their day to go make their presence known at the ballot box ... rather than "forgetting that it was voting day" and leaving the playing field wide open for yet another TV sweep of City Hall.

Edited by Spy Black, 08 March 2021 - 07:59 AM.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 4 others like this

#337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:19 AM

If would help if the City could get its act together. After a poor effort in 2018 that saw long wait times and frustration at voting places, the by-election was mishandled, and that was despite a delay of many months.

Over a 1,000 votes were left uncounted in December. Those requesting mail-in ballots were removed from the voter list on election day at voting places, causing disruption and confusion. No mail-outs went out letting people know there was a by-election, leaving the news to social media and word-of-mouth.

That's not how it's supposed to be.

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

#338 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

That's not how it's supposed to be.

One has to wonder if there is a nefarious element behind such amateurish handling of an important election? ... or whether the current group of elected officials (and their bureaucratic underlings) are just so inept that they can't put the pieces together required for an efficent election?

• Mike K., Nparker, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#339 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:14 PM

One has to wonder if there is a nefarious element behind such amateurish handling of an important election? ... or whether the current group of elected officials (and their bureaucratic underlings) are just so inept that they can't put the pieces together required for an efficent election?

Feigning incompetence/ignorance is the most nefarious trick in the Book of Nefariousness.

...which has been signed out of GVPL since 2014. 

• Daveyboy, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

And I don't necessarily fault any one person at City Hall, but collectively the by-election was mishandled. Even City Hall said it was, and submitted a report to council outlining what went wrong and what was learned.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users