Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#341 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:08 PM

One has to wonder if there is a nefarious element behind such amateurish handling of an important election? ... or whether the current group of elected officials (and their bureaucratic underlings) are just so inept that they can't put the pieces together required for an efficent election?

It hard not to assume it was deigned to discourage certain types from voting (e.g
the dreaded older people) and ensure that another unquestioning disciple would join Potts, Loveday and Dubow in worshipping at the temple of the bearded mystic known as Ben.
  • Nparker likes this

#342 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

So how many times do we see Together Victoria (Coccola) fund Jeremy Loveday here?  What does he owe them?

https://contribution...d/100139303.pdf

#343 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 06:30 AM

So how many times do we see Together Victoria (Coccola) fund Jeremy Loveday here?  What does he owe them?

https://contribution...d/100139303.pdf

Interesting that Luke Mari's (Aryze) contribution was returned to him.

Edited by spanky123, 22 March 2021 - 06:30 AM.

#344 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 March 2021 - 07:54 AM

https://contribution...published/10013

But "Together Victoria" only has 2 candidates at the table.  This is why we need transparency.  We need to know who is or isn't a part of the slate and what criteria is used to determine that.  Funding by leaders of an electoral organization to other candidates not on the slate has the appearance of those candidates being "shadow slate" candidates.  As a result a person isn't voting for 2 "slate candidates", and 6 "independent" candidates, rather they voted for 4 slate candidates and only 2 independents.  The rules around being an independent versus a slate candidate need to be clear so that voters know whether or not they are voting for somebody who must tow a "party line" versus those who are truly able to be independent in their representation.  

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#345 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 07:58 AM

I don’t like all the politicians funding one another. they get taxpayer funded salaries then give that money to other candidates. I do not like that.

screech and Johns both funding Loveday. I did not look close enough for more.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2021 - 07:59 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#346 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:37 AM

Weaver continues to speak out against the angry loons who are trying to control local political dialogue. Perhaps he should run for mayor?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#347 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:11 PM

Weaver continues to speak out against the angry loons who are trying to control local political dialogue. Perhaps he should run for mayor?

It would be fun to watch the usual suspects try to brand Weaver as a right-wing fascist...

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#348 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:06 PM

It would be fun to watch the usual suspects try to brand Weaver as a right-wing fascist...

old-stock settler would be more likely

#349 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:31 PM

old-stock settler would be more likely

Of course. You can imagine the same dozen social social media accounts trying to demonize and bully him for trying to speak a little common sense. But I sense he is tough enough to take in the bullies.
  • Nparker likes this

#350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

Now ‘that’ would be something.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#351 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:00 PM

Too bad he resides in Oak Bay.

#352 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:06 PM

Too bad he resides in Oak Bay.

We have Esquimalt councillors. Why not an Oak Bay mayor?

#353 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:11 AM

We have Esquimalt councillors. Why not an Oak Bay mayor?

When we have an amalgamated Victoria, I will happily welcome an Oak Bay mayor (and given current dysfunction- any SANE adult, almost regardless of residence would be welcomed, although given the experience with the other "visiting governors" I'd be extremely reluctant if an appropriate alternative was available).

• Vicrazy likes this

#354 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 12:46 PM

For me: Weaver might be an exception as he is so electable and has a lot of public experience for us to judge him by.
  • Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#355 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:45 AM

What amazes me is the willingness to not listen to the public when they speak up about projects. Clover Point. Richardson St. Beacon Hill Park. Its almost as though there's a group of people who know that they're in way over their heads and WANT TO be decimated in 2022. A cold and uncaring governing model that fails to listen will bring out those who know that the one thing that they absolutely cannot ignore: votes.

All that is needed is the right team of alternative candidates, ready to stand up and step in.  These people should be becoming apparent in the very near future and should begin making names for themselves.  Begin crafting their positions on important issues, and begin creating their networks of support. Now. Either as independents or otherwise.  Note: I might well disappear from here as Awaiting Juno and reappear as myself in the months to come for this very reason.

• LJ, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#356 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:47 AM

...Note: I might well disappear from here as Awaiting Juno and reappear as myself in the months to come for this very reason.

:thumbsup:

#357 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:59 AM

Now add the BC Housing facilities to your list, Juno. Mayor Helps says the decisions are made.

Her first action as mayor went that way, too, she said the decision for a Topaz Park tent city was already made, so accept it. Her management style is not one I agree with.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#358 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:05 AM

Not only are many of Lisa Helps' decisions seemingly "fait accompli", but then she lays the blame for the lack of consultation on situations (like the pandemic) or other governing bodies (like the province) that force her hand. She's a sly one that's for sure.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#359 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:15 AM

The Mayor’s mayoralty began with this pledge:

COMMITMENT: Listen to you and tell you the truth

Ongoing: Listen, be open and seek your input on a regular basis. Welcome a diversity views, even when they differ from my own. Respond with curiosity and generosity when confronted with differences of opinion.
Ongoing: Convene residents and business owners in time-limited, focused advisory committees to work with me on key issues as they arise including the City’s approach to public participation, parks, transportation, economic development and more.
Ongoing: Convene town hall meetings at City Hall on a regular basis on topics of interest and concern to residents and business owners.
Ongoing: Talk straight and tell you the truth. Be open and transparent about the challenges we face. If something isn’t going well at City Hall, I’ll let you know. Regularly and proactively update the public through weekly media appearances, ongoing contact through social media, and a Mayor’s door that is always open.

- https://lisahelpsvictoria.ca/courage/

Know it all.

#360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:23 AM

The Mayor’s mayoralty began with this pledge:

COMMITMENT: Listen to you and tell you the truth

Wow. Just wow.  :o

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users