Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#361 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:58 PM

I see it is obvious that The VTAG and Together Victoria+2 operatives have co-opted the cause of peer support towards renters in Victoria for political and personal gain.

It can be clearly seen that several or all of these players are now appointed to prominent roles with Cities Renters Advisory Committee These appointments were made directly or in part by city councilors who are members of the Together Victoria+2 group.

It seems clear that no real overall changes have taken place to offset the plight of struggling renters in our city in the past 3 years since the original funding from The Victoria Foundation was approved by that Foundations Grant Manager in and Together Victoria organizer Rudy Wallace in 2016.

So what else did VTAG achieve, since their inception in early 2017? Nada much. But there was this other little bit of research…

Another player who benefitted from renter-related “research” projects with a VTAG spin was Stefanie Hardman. Stefanie cut her advocate’s teeth at UVic’s VPIRG, and then via contract research work for the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA).   Rumour persists that something went sideways between VIHA administrators and Stefanie’s work on this project, and that she was either dismissed from this project, or relieved early, due to issues surrounding those efforts.

https://darren-g-ale...ons-27c258295f1

• Mike K. likes this

#362 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

What amazes me is the willingness to not listen to the public when they speak up about projects. Clover Point. Richardson St. Beacon Hill Park. Its almost as though there's a group of people who know that they're in way over their heads and WANT TO be decimated in 2022. A cold and uncaring governing model that fails to listen will bring out those who know that the one thing that they absolutely cannot ignore: votes.

All that is needed is the right team of alternative candidates, ready to stand up and step in. These people should be becoming apparent in the very near future and should begin making names for themselves. Begin crafting their positions on important issues, and begin creating their networks of support. Now. Either as independents or otherwise. Note: I might well disappear from here as Awaiting Juno and reappear as myself in the months to come for this very reason.

My sense is not so much that they want to be decimated but are just hell-bent on fulfilling their agenda with no regard to what voters think. I suspect they may be getting worried they'll get turfed next year and ramp things up, doing as much damage as possible before then.

They just don't get it. Someone criticized Isitt on Twitter and whereas a decent elected official might have tried to listen or acknowledge, Isitt instead vaingloriously boasted about how many votes he got last election.

#363 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,162 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:49 PM

That ties things together very well. It’s a long read, but well worth it.

To put it in a nutshell, the MERM campaign as pulled off by Together Victoria in concert with VTAG worked like a charm. It was used to get Together Victoria candidates and their canvassers literally into the doors of apartment buildings, so they could knock on doors inside, drop off campaign materials, and meet one-on-one with renters to convince them that the Together Victoria slate (ie. Shamarke Dubow, Sarah Potts, and Laurel Collins) were going to speak and fight on their behalf.

All three candidates on their slate — Shamarke Dubow, Sarah Potts, and Laurel Collins — indeed took their places on Victoria Municipal Council thanks in large part to the MERM campaign and related efforts. I guess you gotta hand it to them?

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#364 sablefish

sablefish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:51 PM

What an interesting tale. It reminds me of this article from Capital Daily last year: Victoria Housing Non-Profit Accused of Funnelling Resources into 2018 Municipal Campaign. I imagine contact info for distressed tenants would be of more value to a campaign than just access to their buildings.

Sarah Potts actually personally harvested my email address back in August 2018. She came to my door and introduced herself as a candidate, and after some chit chat asked me to sign a petition concerning social housing. I'm for social housing so I signed it, and included my email in the appropriate field. She said nothing about collecting my email for campaign purposes - I provided it for the purpose of helping validate the survey. Nevertheless, within a couple of weeks, I started getting spam from the Together Victoria campaign. I'm pretty sure collecting information for one purpose and using it for a different purpose is a violation of the Personal Information Protection Act, but more importantly, it's a sleazy and dishonest thing to do.

They lost any chance of getting my vote at that point, but I didn't unsubscribe because at that point I was curious. The emails themselves weren't very political. Mostly they were invitations to social events, including at one point a birthday party (possibly Potts' - I'd have to dig it out). They seemed to be looking for lonely people or maybe people who were new to Victoria and in need of some kind of connection. I can't imagine who else would go to such things. I got those emails all the way through the campaign and for some time after, at least up until Hardman was nominated.

• Rob Randall and Awaiting Juno like this

#365 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:26 AM

What an interesting tale. It reminds me of this article from Capital Daily last year: Victoria Housing Non-Profit Accused of Funnelling Resources into 2018 Municipal Campaign. I imagine contact info for distressed tenants would be of more value to a campaign than just access to their buildings.

Sarah Potts actually personally harvested my email address back in August 2018. She came to my door and introduced herself as a candidate, and after some chit chat asked me to sign a petition concerning social housing. I'm for social housing so I signed it, and included my email in the appropriate field. She said nothing about collecting my email for campaign purposes - I provided it for the purpose of helping validate the survey. Nevertheless, within a couple of weeks, I started getting spam from the Together Victoria campaign. I'm pretty sure collecting information for one purpose and using it for a different purpose is a violation of the Personal Information Protection Act, but more importantly, it's a sleazy and dishonest thing to do.

They lost any chance of getting my vote at that point, but I didn't unsubscribe because at that point I was curious. The emails themselves weren't very political. Mostly they were invitations to social events, including at one point a birthday party (possibly Potts' - I'd have to dig it out). They seemed to be looking for lonely people or maybe people who were new to Victoria and in need of some kind of connection. I can't imagine who else would go to such things. I got those emails all the way through the campaign and for some time after, at least up until Hardman was nominated.

Sadly, I don't think Capital Daily would be allowed to run a story like that now.
  • Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#366 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:36 PM

If media focused on interesting stories - regardless of the political fallout, maybe readership would roar back. We've come to a place where there's such a thing as left leaning publications and right publications - and very few who dare to be that bastion of truth that journalism once strove to be. A beacon of facts that were scrupulously checked. We now have a veneer of journalism. People taken at their word, with little scrutiny of who they are or where they may be coming from.  Look at the coverage of the Beacon Hill debacle. If a person is aligned with the right side, nearly any act they do is excused, if they happen to be unaligned, any mis-step is treated as an opportunity to sabotage and slander.

There is no end of interesting stories in this city. What is surprisingly lacking is a supply of people willing to tell them.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,162 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:10 PM

Today, blog-style “reporting” is professional journalism in professional news outlets, and the professional journalists all identify where they professionally blog with tag lines like “words in [insert media org name].”
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#368 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:31 AM

Will you vote for any incumbents? 

I might get jumped on for this, but I work with City Council through my RA, and have dealt with a few of them, along with sporadic interactions over the past decade or so. Currently, I think Councillors Young, Andrew, Thornton-Joe, and Alto are deserving of my vote. 

• Rob Randall and rmpeers like this

#369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,162 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:38 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if two of those individuals choose not to run in 2022, and I also wouldn’t be surprised if several incumbents pursue the mayor’s seat.
  • John M. likes this

Know it all.

#370 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:36 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if two of those individuals choose not to run in 2022, and I also wouldn’t be surprised if several incumbents pursue the mayor’s seat.

I think Alto makes sense to run. Stephen should hang on to his Council seat for now. 

#371 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:07 AM

I think Alto makes sense to run. Stephen should hang on to his Council seat for now. 

The two seem to be very aligned politically, wouldn't make sense for both to run unless of course you would like to see that vote split. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Jeff Bray throw his hat into the ring.

Edited by spanky123, 21 May 2021 - 09:09 AM.

#372 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:40 PM

Cuz he did such a great job with the DVBA!!!
The downfall of downtown Victoria happened under his watch and for the most part, he was more concerned about wanting to look nice rather than do the job he is paid to do.
I’m seriously underwhelmed. I could never vote foe that guy.

#373 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,298 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:54 PM

The downfall of downtown Victoria happened under his watch and for the most part, he was more concerned about wanting to look nice rather than do the job he is paid to do.

agree.  he's not the man for the job.  

#374 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:58 PM

At this point I would consider voting for Vladimir Putin.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#375 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:59 PM

At this point I would consider voting for Vladimir Putin.

At least he'd be more to the right than Ben Isitt.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#376 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:24 PM

I'd have a hard time with this interpretation... Downtown and everywhere for that matter has had a downturn due to the pandemic - full stop.  There have been other factors, also due to the pandemic, that haven't helped certainly.  Looking at January and February 2020 and the activity downtown it would be very easy to make a case that downtown was set for records with people downtown.  

• Brayvehart likes this

#377 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:12 PM

I think that whomever becomes the next Mayor needs to be able to appeal to both sides of the political spectrum and have some sort of a track record with name recognition. Whether it is Jeff, Bruce, Emilie, an existing councilor or anyone else that steps up, the person has to be viewed as moderate and having experience working with municipal government. As much as many of you would like an Atwell to be elected it isn't going to ever happen in Victoria. 

#378 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,298 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:14 PM

I think that whomever becomes the next Mayor needs to be able to appeal to both sides of the political spectrum and have some sort of a track record with name recognition.

how about bruce willams? 

DSC_8524.jpg

he happens to be the chamber CEO now but he's well known for media and charity around town.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 May 2021 - 03:16 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#379 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:45 PM

He came across quite excitedly on tonight’s CTV news on the US cruise ships bypassing Canada.

He was fired up and raring to go.

#380 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:59 PM

I'd have a hard time with this interpretation... Downtown and everywhere for that matter has had a downturn due to the pandemic - full stop. There have been other factors, also due to the pandemic, that haven't helped certainly. Looking at January and February 2020 and the activity downtown it would be very easy to make a case that downtown was set for records with people downtown.

I used to work downtown and go there everyday, and wal and run at lunch. I can guarantee you that the downfall started way before COVID. I’m pretty sure I have posts to that effect right here in VV.
The windows smashing, feces, agressive behaviours and random assaults were already under way. I remember lots of boarded up businesses on government street and adjacents even then.
  • sebberry, Love the rock and Midnightly like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users