Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#421 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 10:24 PM

None of the Above ... that's where my vote is going!

#422 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:29 AM

Unless she changes her mind, Helps isn’t running. On that basis Andrew would not be splitting votes with a ‘business candidate’.

Heaven help us if Helps is the "business candidate".  A business candidate should have at least some experience in actual business - or at least board governance.  Stephen Andrew is likely a decent candidate for mayor - I think he's demonstrated a willingness to balance interests and he'll have some experience in chambers to know how it works. Further, he wants to work with who is at the table, and that goes a long ways. I don't think an Andrew run for mayor is "risky" - what is risky is if others cannot see that they need to run for council rather than mayor to get a functioning table that can work effectively to manage the city in appropriate ways. It's one vote - if you want to help your city as a business candidate, run for council, not mayor.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#423 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:48 AM

^ I agree except that the Mayor has more influence than one vote. She determines what goes on the agenda at council and as we have seen that has been used to retry causes she likes and deny those she doesn’t. In addition, the Mayor is the interface to staff and the Police board and whether it is true or not the optics are that she pulls the strings.

I have nothing against Stephen Andrew, all I am saying is that I don’t see him splitting votes with a more pro-business candidate. In my opinion he would spilt with a more left wing one.

#424 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:59 AM

It's a WordPress site. Assets are necessarily publicly accessible, otherwise no browser would be able to display them. Not per se a security issue.

The problem is sometimes people will add content to the media library without realizing people can access it. Security problems can arise from people not being aware of this.

#425 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

At this point, I will vote for any candidate who isn't visibly insane.

That narrows the field down considerably but is probably offensive to the mentally challenged community.

#426 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 12:41 PM

That narrows the field down considerably but is probably offensive to the mentally challenged community.

Of course, no disrespect was intended. In fact, I have known people with mental health challenges whom I am certain could better navigate some of the issues council grapples with. Eg, "we blocked the road in the park and now mobility challenged people can't reach certain areas. What should we do?"
  • Nparker likes this

#427 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:38 PM

Don’t worry, that was sarcasm.  I don’t think there is a mentally challenged “community” outside of city council.

• rmpeers likes this

#428 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:00 AM

he gave them little choice. he’s running for Mayor and can’t be convinced otherwise. and the business community does not want to risk a vote split.

No idea where you’re getting this from. It’s not true. And as with any decision I may make it’s not done in isolation.

If you ask me today on my future - I will base any decision on pragmatism.

#429 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:07 AM

bullshit.

I’m aware of meetings. and it’s Andrew for Mayor or nothing. From the Andrew camp.

lots of bravado/arrogance.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2021 - 10:08 AM.

#430 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:10 AM

No idea where you’re getting this from. It’s not true. And as with any decision I may make it’s not done in isolation.

If you ask me today on my future - I will base any decision on pragmatism.

Then make your statement now on your decision. I trust you are actually testing which way the winds blow.

Garbage.

you are not mayor material. But you are impressed by your big win last year.

You are not smart enough to win the mayor race, but you think you are. Big mistake.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2021 - 10:17 AM.

#431 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:20 AM

Always the king of subtle.

• Nparker likes this

#432 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:22 AM

someone has to lay it on the line.

No bullshit.

Like you squishie liberals.

Instead of someone secretly positioning themselves as “the candidate”, just come out and say it now.

You cowards.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2021 - 10:27 AM.

#433 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:50 AM

Ease up VW.

#434 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:56 AM

Right-wingers have expertise in losing elections. Take their strategies with a grain of salt.

It's still early for public pronouncements and if you're a candidate all options are on the table. I have no doubt there are people urging Andrew to run for mayor but we simply don't know for sure how seriously he's listening to them. Privately he may be open or he might dismiss them outright.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#435 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:18 AM

i am spartacus

• Brayvehart likes this

#436 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:27 PM

Ease up VW.

yep. Sorry.

#437 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:55 PM

he gave them little choice. he’s running for Mayor and can’t be convinced otherwise. and the business community does not want to risk a vote split.

Then make your statement now on your decision. I trust you are actually testing which way the winds blow.

Garbage.

Sorry VW, but with these types of responses, why would the total Together Victoria slate not be reelected?  

• sdwright.vic and Daveyboy like this

#438 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:35 AM

bullshit.

I’m aware of meetings. and it’s Andrew for Mayor or nothing. From the Andrew camp.

lots of bravado/arrogance.

So let’s look at this logically…

1. I am posting and making statements under my own name, not hiding beyond some obscure handle. You can call me and ask specific questions and get honest answers. 250-412-8888

2. You maybe aware of “meetings” and I acknowledge I attended several. But, whoever you believe represents me or claims they have knowledge of what is said in the meetings is not being honest with you.

3. Am I interested in running for mayor? Yes.

4. Have a made a final decision? No. And whoever is providing “meeting discussions” is not being honest or has misrepresented what was said at those meetings. No final decision has been made. I cannot at this time say if it’s a good move, a risk, if I see a candidate that I am happy to support. There are a ton of variables.

5. Am I running in the 2022 election - yes. I made that statement some time ago.

So, I call BS on your information. Go back to your source and find out if they are truly “on the team”. If they are, ask them to reach out to me, because clearly they are missing information or misunderstand.

My close advisors may be ticked at this post, but I believe they know where I stand and there is nothing untrue here - nothing.

One thing that really pisses me off is when people call me a liar. You - sir or madam - peddle in untruth.
  • Nparker, sebberry, John M. and 4 others like this

#439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:40 AM

by not declaring your intentions now - and instead waiting to see which way the wind blows - you are harming the chances of this city getting a better mayor and council than the disaster we have now.

and yes thank you for confirming there have indeed been meetings on this topic - that you attended.

I have direct access to people also involved in these meetings. and my takeaway is that your indecision or delays has frustrated attempts to get the ball rolling.

I apologize for being rude earlier.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 July 2021 - 06:46 AM.

#440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:02 AM

That was over the top, VW. This isn't Twitter.

I also don't know why the mayor's chair is so coveted. Your contacts should be encouraging whatever candidates they have in mind to run for council, not mayor. 

• Rob Randall, sebberry, lanforod and 4 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users