Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#161 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:53 AM

So she's perfect for the Federal NDP. She can fumble and bumble and nobody will notice and/or care. 

That I grant you. There is no risk that she pulls a JWL or JP as soon as a policy she doesn't like is announced.

#162 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

I could understand joining the Libs and being in power but I don't see the appeal of joining the NDP and replacing Murray Rankin when you've already got a fresh job at Council.

The bulk of an MP's job is constituency work for local residents and you can do that as MP or Councillor. But at City Hall you actually can help shape policy and make changes at the local level. In the forseeable future the NDP will not be in Opposition let alone form a government. 

I guess there is a prestige aspect of being an MP, along with a good pension that makes up for the fact that she would occupy the furthest depths of the back benches.

#163 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

If she wins and triggers a by-election I don't see Isitt ally Reichert having a chance.

By-elections bring out the hardcore voters and I don't feel Victorians have much more tolerance for one more newbie loose cannon. There will be a desire for another grown-up at the table.

• mbjj likes this

#164 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

I could understand joining the Libs and being in power but I don't see the appeal of joining the NDP and replacing Murray Rankin when you've already got a fresh job at Council.

The bulk of an MP's job is constituency work for local residents and you can do that as MP or Councillor. But at City Hall you actually can help shape policy and make changes at the local level. In the forseeable future the NDP will not be in Opposition let alone form a government. 

I guess there is a prestige aspect of being an MP, along with a good pension that makes up for the fact that she would occupy the furthest depths of the back benches.

And salary. The salary argument is plenty enough.

• tedward likes this

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

If she wins and triggers a by-election I don't see Isitt ally Reichert having a chance.

By-elections bring out the hardcore voters and I don't feel Victorians have much more tolerance for one more newbie loose cannon. There will be a desire for another grown-up at the table.

Not since the failed horse issue, that’s for sure. That was intended as Isitt’s introduction to Reichert, who would have taken a leading role in opining on matters related to the ban. It all fell apart in spectacular fashion, of course.

Helps will back a candidate who ran in the last election.

But there’s also the potential here to have the ultra-progressive vote split the difference and pragmatic candidate could win. But rest, Isitt will be pulling out all the stops to ensure his slate survives into 2022.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

Does anyone know if Stephen Andrew or Stephen Hammond might be keen to be a by-election candidate?

Stephen Hammond has been quite vocal about not running again. 

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#167 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#168 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

And salary. The salary argument is plenty enough.

I didn't realize the pay differential was so big. At least $126,000 more.

#169 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Dude, she would make at least $173k per year and be able to gallivant across the country doing who knows what for the NDP machine (promoting the Green New Deal, or whatever). 

Plus probably housing and travel allowances out the ying yang, $18 orange juices and who knows what else. Thing of the conferences she will be able to attend!?!?!?! For a PhD, Philosophy, that's like winning Lotto 649 twice! 

Edited by jonny, 04 June 2019 - 09:38 AM.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#170 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Plus 6 years of service as a MP gets you a sweet, sweet pension at 65. 

Money for life, bro. 

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

...But there’s also the potential here to have the ultra-progressive vote split the difference and pragmatic candidate could win...

From your words to the electorate's pencils.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#172 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:24 AM

Does anyone know what the cost is to stage a municipal by-election?

#173 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

Does anyone know what the cost is to stage a municipal by-election?

It varies depending on the size of the city, since that will inform how many polling stations and people are required to administer and count the ballots. The 2017 municipal by-election in Vancouver had a budget of $1.5M (and had an abysmal 11% turnout). Apparently Penticton ran their by-election on a budget of $35,000, and Powell River ran one with a $45,000 budget.

#174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

Folks are estimating $200,000 for the Victoria one.

• AndrewReeve likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

It's outrageous that my tax dollars might have to be spent all on the whim of a capricious, neophyte politician.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

$200,000 would go a long way to funding VicPD's festival-related policing overtime and other expenses.

• zoomer, Nparker, jonny and 3 others like this

Know it all.

#177 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

What if Geoff Young ran for mayor?  He's got a lengthy track record on council, he has a strong voter base, and is for the most parts pragmatic.  He might be a very logical contender.

Byelection wise, if SA were to throw his hat in, I'd be keen to support it.  

• A Girl is No one likes this

#178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

What if Geoff Young ran for mayor?  He's got a lengthy track record on council, he has a strong voter base, and is for the most parts pragmatic.  He might be a very logical contender.

he has a real fulltime job though.   

#179 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:26 AM

he has a real fulltime job though.   

Yes he does, again another "bonus" in my eyes - someone who actually works for a living and sees the role as the public service that it is.

• Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#180 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

Stephen Andrew would be a very welcome addition to the current CoV council. I'd love to see him go head-to-head with Comrade Ben in council meetings.

Just thinking about that brings so much joy to my heart.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users