Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

Figured this may as well get started now.  So who thinks single term Helps will go for a third term?

#2 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:41 AM

I predict Frank Elsner wins a seat on council.

• Kapten Kapsell, rmpeers, Cats4Hire and 1 other like this

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

she hopes to have the merger with saanich done by the 2022 election and i think she is sincere.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, ...no.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:29 AM

Who would be a viable challenger to Helps in 2022, who can garner the support of the general public and the business crowd and effectively lead a group in city hall?  

#6 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:45 AM

Who would be a viable challenger to Helps in 2022, who can garner the support of the general public and the business crowd and effectively lead a group in city hall?  

Isitt

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:46 AM

Isitt has 2/3 for sure.  not sure about the business part.  in 2014 all his money came from unions and individuals but no businesses (some of the individuals were union people too).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2018 - 08:49 AM.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#8 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

The idea of Mayor Isitt is chilling to the core, but perhaps the better question - who would be an effective challenger to Helps or Isitt as the case might be.

• rmpeers likes this

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

Figured this may as well get started now.  So who thinks single term Helps will go for a third term?

Well Helps has said she won't and my money continues on her making a run in the 2019 elections. Now that she has said she is not running in 2022 that gives her a lot of flexibility to do what she wants without caring about what anyone else thinks (as if she did much of that anyways).

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

helps can jump to higher politics now for sure.

• John M. likes this

#11 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

helps can jump to higher politics now for sure.

In which case there's a by-election and the challenger needs to have their poop in a group to go at the drop of a hat that is likely a year down the road.  Not that a new mayor would have much latitude given the composition of council, but, it would be a good opportunity for someone to demonstrate that they can lead in that context.

#12 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:22 AM

I thinking Stephen Andrew would stand a reasonable chance.  If he'd be willing is an entirely different question.

• Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

2022 Predictions:

-Despite 4 years of talk and rumours, Helps runs again and wins again, doesn't go onto bigger things.

-Isitt is content "controlling" council or at least having it stacked with allies and has found Helps easy to work with on most things so doesn't run.

-Although there's been some newbie mistakes and lackluster results achieving most of their promises, the TV trio stays extremely connected with the right groups and remain popular.

-Development slows down a bit, not from the means of production being seized but from a general downturn in the Canadian and BC markets and provincial action to cool the market further.

-To fund more social housing and bike lanes and transit improvements drastic tax increases are proposed, this gets a lot of people mas as hell and it's sounds like there's such a backlash against these pretty radical tax-funded housing plans that we'll absolutely see a new council.

-They still all manage to sweep the election and even get a new ally of theirs is elected to fill Geoff's spot, who finally retired due to stress related health issues.

• Rob Randall and nerka like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:42 AM

If amalgamation happens then this will be a very different election. The voter profile would be very different. This is why I expect the new councillors to make every effort to stop amalgamation from happening. The larger the voter base the less likely extreme left and right candidates will do well.
  • AndrewReeve and rmpeers like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#15 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

If amalgamation happens then this will be a very different election. The voter profile would be very different. This is why I expect the new councillors to make every effort to stop amalgamation from happening. The larger the voter base the less likely extreme left and right candidates will do well.

Yup. Literally every other muni got far more pragmatic and normal mayors and council. If amalgamation happens the UVic activist marxists will lose their soap box permanently. It’s the glimmer of hope on the horizon
  • AndrewReeve, Midnightly, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

This is why I expect the new councillors to make every effort to stop amalgamation from happening.

Methinks downtown densification would have a similar effect (in an un-amalgamated Victoria city). I've raised the point before that 10,000+ new condo and apartment dwellers would inevitably regard downtown as their own neighbourhood. Surely that would impact local politics to some degree, if not significantly.

Edited by aastra, 21 October 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#17 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

Like a council that looks like Oak Bay or Langford or Central Saanich, a bit left, a bit right and a bit normal....heaven forbid, how can you practice populist politics like that?

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

The idea of Mayor Isitt is chilling to the core, but perhaps the better question - who would be an effective challenger to Helps or Isitt as the case might be.

You Juno, you!!!!!

• Midnightly and rmpeers like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:00 PM

The business community has not been able organize any sort of serious candidates for mayor or council for decades now. Why would anyone think this would change in 2022? Alan Lowe was a business mayor but was missing the council needed

A decent business person with a well run campaign can win, there is just no one interested in really trying. 2018 showed no one was serious about trying to defeat Lisa Helps or elect business oriented candidates to council
  • John M. and nerka like this

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:34 PM

Me, I see this: Isitt has jumped to higher politics. Helps retires to a cushy poverty business position, Loveday wins the 2022 election.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users