Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#2241 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 10:02 AM

The election is coming soon!

From someone who isn't in the know...Can someone please explain in some way who is left, centre, and right politically in the City of Victoria election?

LEFT BEING: KEEP ON DOING WHAT HAS BEEN DONE
MIDDLE: A STEP AWAY FROM CURRENT POLICIES -AND DOING SOME THINGS THE SAME

RIGHT: BIKE LANES HAVE DESTROYED OUR CITY-NO CAMPING ANYMORE-MORE POLICE, SOME BIKE LANES WILL BE REMOVED DUE TO ACCESSIBILITY FOR CARS

AND who is stepping up for heritage now that Pamela is long gone? What the city of Victoria allowed with the Truth Centre was very sad.

I find some of the rhetoric in their platforms extremely wishy washy and opaque.

This is my understanding so far...

MAYOR 

LEFT- MARIANE ALTO

MIDDLE -STEVEN ANDREWS

ANYONE ELSE?

COUNCILLORS

LEFT:

CARADONNA, Jeremy

DELL, Matt

BEN ISSIT

SUSAN KIM

LOUGHTON, Krista

THOMPSON, Dave

MIDDLE

COLEMAN, Christopher Mark

ANYONE ELSE?

RIGHT?

#2242 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 10:49 AM

^ All of the 'major' candidates did polling to determine what the hot issues were. As a result, they all pretty much parrot what they perceive the public wants to hear with varying shades of execution differences.

#2243 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,241 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:21 AM

If you enter the political arena and oppose the ideologies being forced on us prepare to be bathed in hate by the Anti-Hate Network.... "Far right Christian Nationalist" is hate speech. What does it make you think and feel when you hear that? 

https://pressprogres...lum-in-schools/

I'm not Christian, I am pro Choice, I am anti-bullying. I am pro being whoever you want to be and it being OK to express that. But I don't think we should be teaching kindergarten kids that masturbation's is ok with others if you give permission nor do I think they should be taught about sex or gender identity at all! Leave their innocent minds alone. It is unfortunate the only groups that are loud about it are ones with other ideologies but it is what it is. Now if I say the above I am painted with the same brush. It's the method of division. It is making it binary when the whole idea is supposed to be non-binary. 

This sort of name calling in the media further shuts down any debate and bringing these legitimate issues to light. If I am to use their methods they are "Far Left Marxist globalists" who have infiltrated our civic governance. 

• A Girl is No one and David Arthur Johnston like this

#2244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:49 PM

Someone posted a quick synopsis of candidates running under VIVA, VLC or independent but I can no longer find it. Really should have printed that post out when I read it the first time.

This forum software is craptacular; the search function may as well not even be there for how useless it is.

Use Site:VibrantVictoria.ca on your favourite SE.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2245 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:52 PM

The election is coming soon!

From someone who isn't in the know...Can someone please explain in some way who is left, centre, and right politically in the City of Victoria election?
LEFT BEING: KEEP ON DOING WHAT HAS BEEN DONE
MIDDLE: A STEP AWAY FROM CURRENT POLICIES -AND DOING SOME THINGS THE SAME
RIGHT: BIKE LANES HAVE DESTROYED OUR CITY-NO CAMPING ANYMORE-MORE POLICE, SOME BIKE LANES WILL BE REMOVED DUE TO ACCESSIBILITY FOR CARS
AND who is stepping up for heritage now that Pamela is long gone? What the city of Victoria allowed with the Truth Centre was very sad.

I find some of the rhetoric in their platforms extremely wishy washy and opaque.

This is my understanding so far...

MAYOR
LEFT- MARIANE ALTO
MIDDLE -STEVEN ANDREWS
ANYONE ELSE?

COUNCILLORS
LEFT:
CARADONNA, Jeremy
DELL, Matt
BEN ISSIT
SUSAN KIM
LOUGHTON, Krista
THOMPSON, Dave

MIDDLE
COLEMAN, Christopher Mark
ANYONE ELSE?

RIGHT?

That’s about right.

But the ‘right’ isn’t quite as described. It’s just a different tolerance for radical change. Right wingers can still like bike lanes, and closing parking in parks, and reassessing police funding. They just wouldn’t necessarily pursue it as a #1 priority.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2246 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:32 AM

I'd label myself as a moderate centrist.

Read each candidate's website, peruse their twitter feed (if they're there), look at their facebook pages, if possible check out their linked in and get out to meet them in person at an all candidates meeting (a few more are scheduled this upcoming week, including one at Fernwood, an Oaklands one (Candidates for Change), UVic and Camosun. It's a very busy week. Email them if you have specific questions for them. Be wary of what other people have to say about candidates, and look at what candidates have said for themselves and how they have conducted themselves.

I have learned a lot as a candidate this election - some of it incredibly inspiring, and sadly much of it is disheartening. Local politics in this city at the moment is a blood sport conducted in a mud pit filled with vipers. There are all kinds of vested interests and those with the most skin in the game and throwing the hardest punches to ensure that they can continue to benefit. The lists of those vested interests and astroturf are revealing, as are the lists being quietly generated and passed around by truly grass roots groups. Draw your own conclusions about who is or isn't worthy of one of your 8 choices on that ballot.

If I'm one of your 8 choices, thank you. I'll do my best to serve this city and serve it well. Regardless if I'm on your list or not - please, do your homework and take the time to vote. It matters, it really does.

• dasmo, grantpalin, Love the rock and 9 others like this

#2247 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:46 AM

^ You go girl.
  • Barrrister and jrm like this

#2248 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:14 PM

You have my vote Janice. I remember the smear campaigns from the last election with the TV minions. They were brutal. I remember calling them out, posting pictures of them canvassing with TV. They like to claim they run a clean campaign when everyone knows they don’t (well, at least we know they don’t.) Ive seen your tweets and think you’re doing a great job handling their nonsense.

I consider myself a left leaning moderate but “they” would probably consider me alt-right. I’m rooting for you and the other moderates running.

I hope that when you settle into your role, I could take you for a coffee and we could discuss the business side of things downtown. I’ve needed that for the last 8 years and the only person who was willing to sit down and have a chat with me was Stephen Andrew.

I'd label myself as a moderate centrist.

Read each candidate's website, peruse their twitter feed (if they're there), look at their facebook pages, if possible check out their linked in and get out to meet them in person at an all candidates meeting (a few more are scheduled this upcoming week, including one at Fernwood, an Oaklands one (Candidates for Change), UVic and Camosun. It's a very busy week. Email them if you have specific questions for them. Be wary of what other people have to say about candidates, and look at what candidates have said for themselves and how they have conducted themselves.

I have learned a lot as a candidate this election - some of it incredibly inspiring, and sadly much of it is disheartening. Local politics in this city at the moment is a blood sport conducted in a mud pit filled with vipers. There are all kinds of vested interests and those with the most skin in the game and throwing the hardest punches to ensure that they can continue to benefit. The lists of those vested interests and astroturf are revealing, as are the lists being quietly generated and passed around by truly grass roots groups. Draw your own conclusions about who is or isn't worthy of one of your 8 choices on that ballot.

If I'm one of your 8 choices, thank you. I'll do my best to serve this city and serve it well. Regardless if I'm on your list or not - please, do your homework and take the time to vote. It matters, it really does.

• Awaiting Juno and jrm like this

#2249 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:16 PM

Ps: who’s the fellow who makes election predictions? Is it victoria watcher? I seem to remember they were pretty accurate

#2250 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 October 2022 - 06:45 AM

One of my goals in running was to encourage and support others in doing the same, to help provide people with choices this election. People have choice this election - there are a lot of candidates to choose from and most importantly there are enough candidates to choose from to deliver a functional council table. We can have a Victoria that works, it is possible - and now the hard work is in making that possibility reality. 

I have taken the time to meet with many of the other candidates running and think that many are people with whom good governance could become a reality. I'd like to see a broad swath of our community represented at that table and think it's important that voices aren't shut out - I think it's important that the people who are elected are people who want to be there, but who do not need to be there. People who are very aware what their role and reason is for running - people who love this city. There are more than a few running right now who maybe want it "too much" and see it as a way of fulfilling deeply personal goals and caution is merited as those deeply personal goals are likely to trump the broader goals of the community. A reluctant politician is a good thing.

A word or two on slates. There is only one clear slate this election - VIVA - and it's important to be clear that an electoral organization is a powerful tool that puts independent campaigns on steroids. It makes the "lifting" much easier - the signs are polished and consistent, the fundraising is there, the voter list is pooled, the volunteers are shared, the policy development is refined and often there is support from senior levels of political parties (in VIVA's case it's the PPC), candidates are directly involved in the decisions of the organization.

Then there seems to be a shadow slate - what many have termed Together Victoria 2.0 - the VLC, BCGEU, GVCTEH, HFL etc. list of commonly endorsed candidates - many have the same people endorsing their candidacy (of note Sonia Theroux). These appear to be very well funded and organized campaigns. 

Lastly, there are the independents. They stick out as plucky contenders - in any other election, they'd like stand little chance of success. Maybe this time too - it depends on how willing voters are to do their homework.  The only thing that generally groups them, is that these are the ones who have clearly articulated an opposition to MMHI as it was formulated.

• Nparker likes this

#2251 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 06:57 AM

One of my goals in running was to encourage and support others in doing the same, to help provide people with choices this election. People have choice this election - there are a lot of candidates to choose from and most importantly there are enough candidates to choose from to deliver a functional council table. We can have a Victoria that works, it is possible - and now the hard work is in making that possibility reality.

I have taken the time to meet with many of the other candidates running and think that many are people with whom good governance could become a reality. I'd like to see a broad swath of our community represented at that table and think it's important that voices aren't shut out - I think it's important that the people who are elected are people who want to be there, but who do not need to be there. People who are very aware what their role and reason is for running - people who love this city. There are more than a few running right now who maybe want it "too much" and see it as a way of fulfilling deeply personal goals and caution is merited as those deeply personal goals are likely to trump the broader goals of the community. A reluctant politician is a good thing.

You have done a good job with this.

#2252 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,241 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 09:44 AM

These municipal elections are so important because we are literally defending ourselves from global interests.

“ ‘My Carbon’: An approach for inclusive and sustainable cities

There have been numerous examples of personal carbon allowance programs in discussions for the last two decades, however they had limited success due to a lack of social acceptance, political resistance….

There have been significant developments in last five to seven years on social, environment and technology fronts that could help realise “My Carbon” initiatives for shaping the future towards smart and sustainable cities.

Specifically, to mention three developments in this context:

1. COVID-19 was the test of social responsibility – A huge number of unimaginable restrictions for public health were adopted by billions of citizens across the world. There were numerous examples globally of maintaining social distancing, wearing masks, mass vaccinations and acceptance of contact-tracing applications for public health, which demonstrated the core of individual social responsibility...”

#2253 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:02 AM

I have learned a lot as a candidate this election - some of it incredibly inspiring, and sadly much of it is disheartening. Local politics in this city at the moment is a blood sport conducted in a mud pit filled with vipers. 

Lets face the facts. The City has given away millions of dollars in grants over the past term to organizations with varying degrees of credibility and accountability. Developers have saved tens of millions in amenities and contributions from exemptions to land lift and bonus density fees. Developers and property owners have made tens of millions of dollars due to "bring it on" and the now disgraced BC Housing's cash give away. 

There is a LOT of money at stake and a lot of vested interests. No surprise that some people will fight tooth and nail to keep what they have.

• dasmo and A Girl is No one like this

#2254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 01:00 PM

People bought and rented homes for less, though, thanks to not having to subsidize so many municipal projects.

Know it all.

#2255 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:31 PM

A word or two on slates. There is only one clear slate this election - VIVA - and it's important to be clear that an electoral organization is a powerful tool that puts independent campaigns on steroids. It makes the "lifting" much easier - the signs are polished and consistent, the fundraising is there, the voter list is pooled, the volunteers are shared, the policy development is refined and often there is support from senior levels of political parties (in VIVA's case it's the PPC), candidates are directly involved in the decisions of the organization.

Then there seems to be a shadow slate - what many have termed Together Victoria 2.0 - the VLC, BCGEU, GVCTEH, HFL etc. list of commonly endorsed candidates - many have the same people endorsing their candidacy (of note Sonia Theroux). These appear to be very well funded and organized campaigns. 

Lastly, there are the independents. They stick out as plucky contenders - in any other election, they'd like stand little chance of success. Maybe this time too - it depends on how willing voters are to do their homework.  The only thing that generally groups them, is that these are the ones who have clearly articulated an opposition to MMHI as it was formulated.

When you are out campaigning, and you come across people that share your ideas, do you mention other candidates they might vote for that share or have similar ideas? Make sort of an informal slate.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2256 Will

Will
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:42 PM

what about these folks?

https://www.bettervictoria.ca/

any good?

#2257 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:56 PM

They appear legit. A group of citizens getting together and endorsing like minded candidates for council. Looks like they have not endorsed any left leaning or any obscure candidates. 

I did not see an endorsement for the mayor's seat.

• Barrrister likes this

#2258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:10 AM

Pretty good list. I think Perenteau is also a candidate that would check many of the criteria.
  • A Girl is No one and David Arthur Johnston like this

Know it all.

#2259 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:55 AM

Huh? Parenteau's platform is largely focused on a hard line to homeless camps and cutting up to $27 million in City spending. I wouldn't call that in line with the group's criteria including of affordable housing, tenant support, transportation, accessibility, climate action, or reconciliation. They also state they are supporting independent candidates of which Parenteau is not. I would seriously question the judgment of someone who willing associated themselves with the chaos that is VIVA.

• martini likes this

#2260 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:07 AM

what about these folks?

https://www.bettervictoria.ca/

any good?

That’s exactly my list except for Quitzau.  I don’t know why anyone would think that some kid whose only experience is with UVIC student council should have anything to do with city government.

• Sparky and Midnightly like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users